Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So what list have you tried "Just Because"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd Schneider
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: So what list have you tried "Just Because"

There are several reasons to play a list, most have to do with how competitive it is on the tabletop.

There are other reasons to play a list as well, a player may like the period the army it's in, a certain unit within the list, or it has "something" that attracts them to it. From a competition point of view, they may not be the best Army to play, but from a "fun" point of view (at least the players "fun point of view Smile ), they are worth the effort.

Mine is Araucanians, and it came about because I was looking for a list that had a good variety of Foot, and these guys fit my criteria. They have no mounted to speak off, but to me thats one of the fun and challenging things about it. I think properly handled they could even be a pretty decent tournament Army. I have yet to figure out all the nuances of running it though.

So, After starting out with LIR, and dabbling in some Medieval Germans, I went to Araucanians, and now Berbers (Because the Artizan Figs are gorgeous IMO). But Araucanians will always be a part of my Warrior repetoire.

So what armies have you all tried?

Thresh

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: So what list have you tried "Just Because"

Todd Schneider wrote:
There are several reasons to play a list, most have to do with how competitive it is on the tabletop. There are other reasons to play a list as well.... So what armies have you all tried?

Lists and reasons other than competitiveness that I've played:
    - 1st Crusade: historical interest
    - Grenadine: to see if regular JLS,Sh LC in quantity is actually worth anything
    - Post Mongol Russian: partly historical interest, and partly because this used to be the most loose order cav you could get on 1600 points (Early Ottoman Turk may now have that distinction)
    - Medieval French: historical interest
    - Shang Chinese: this started with an investigation into whether a chariot army could actually be viable. By that I mean an army that deploys chariots in quantity as some kind of main battle force, not just token, unease-causing chariots like those cheesy Han Chinese players. After a long period of investigation, during which I spent a lot of time looking at Later Hebrew as an army list, I eventually concluded that Shang is as good as a chariot army gets.
    - Italian Condotta: my attempt to find a list on which the Swiss are actually viable.
    - Russ: because it's fun to play Vikings, but the actual Viking list sucks. Rus gives you everything you'd want from the Viking list, and a bunch of stuff you don't have but really need on the Viking list, namely sturdy close order foot, lance-armed cav, and decent light cav.
    - Later Crusader: because any army with Richard I is cool.

Lists I play when I want a genuinely competitive army (though each of these has other appeals as well):
    - 10 Independent States Chinese
    - Knights of Saint John
    - Later Paleologan Byzantine
    - Nikephoran Byzantine
    - Mongols
    - Timurids

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

-Mark Stone
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: So what list have you tried "Just Because"

Well, here are a few tournament lists I've tried just for kicks and giggles -

Berber in the NICT - needed some more practice and changes w/in the list (see Berber in the lists section for more detail)

First Crusade - tough w/ some matchups in a tournament, but cool to run.

Arab Conquest - tons of fanatical cav and foot - roll up and win!

Early Bulgar - it's been fun, but tough at times w/ some matchups.

Midianite Arab - camel machine guns - not that great in period w/ Assyrians/Sumerians/Babylonians, but an army no one looks forward to seeing in a tournament.

Scots Common - b/c they may take our lives...
Plus seeing it in 25mm w/ the schiltrons - even charging bombards Shocked

Polybian Roman
Ayyubid Egyptian
Anglo-Danish
Mac Jewish
Swiss - who doesn't love the history, plus now they are much better.
Illyrian

Knights of St. John - when they were mostly Reg D HG/CB but now they're part of my...

Competitive gaming:

Medieval Spanish
Macedonians
Mongol
Aztec (fell in love w/ the color and exoticness of them 20 years ago)
Ghaznavids
Khmer
100 Years War English

Todd K

Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject:

For fun/glory:
* almost anything Scottish, even winning (courtesy of Chris Damour) the NTT with Pre-Feudals kinda by accident Smile
* both Early and Late Crusader
* Sumerians
* Viking
* Andalusian
* Russ

The common feature here is irregularity and infantry: run forward, charge impetuously, roll up! Later Crusaders are perhaps an exception, but not much of one. Sumerians are the 'if I can win with *this*' candidate Smile

To win:
* Imperialists for a long time under 7th
* Aztecs (under 7th) or other MesoAm for Warrior - this is an army I need to acquire some time
* Seleucids
* Sassanids, I guess

All highly regular; irregular shock mounted is OK, but not the support troops.

To wind up opponents:
* Mongol (even more so these days!)
* Early Libyan

I pretty much refuse to play Romans, but that's about it. And even then I've taken LIR to a Dogs of War tournament.
David Smith
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Ewan McNay wrote:

I pretty much refuse to play Romans, but that's about it. And even then I've taken LIR to a Dogs of War tournament.

Ewan;

I'd be interested to hear why you have an aversion to Romans. Is it the history, the way they perform/play in Warrior, or something else.

Dave
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Dave -

- it started back in the UK, where LIR was the consensus killer army for a long time and hence seemed too boring; the reason I got into knights in the first place was as a response to all the Romans around. These days it's still partly that - I'm always surprised not to see more LI Romans around. For the earlier Romans, it's at least partly that the all-HI mass of high-morale foot I find hideously overpriced; but in all cases, the feel of Romans has just never sparked my interest.

E
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Ewan McNay wrote:
Dave -

- it started back in the UK, where LIR was the consensus killer army for a long time and hence seemed too boring

My sentiments and experience are similar to Ewan's here. In the mid-80s Pike/Elephant armies, especially Seleucids, seemed to dominate, and we saw an increasing number of Roman armies, particularly Late Imperial Romans, in response to that trend. Those of us in the "Rochester School" (me, Dave Stier, Frank Gilson, Christian Cameron, etc.) responded by playing a lot of knight armies, which was our historical interest anyway.

Playing a knight army in those days took a lot of tenacity, particularly if you played outside the cluster of wedge-enabled knight armies. I played a lot of Medieval Spanish and Later Hungarians back then, and neither army had wedging knights. That was hard work.

It was during that time that I started tinkering with Grenadine: 3 units of Reg A knights, all with generals, 1 unit of LMI bowmen, and the rest LI and LC. I think of that style as "dry lightning": nothing but air and thunder.

One of the thing that I absolutely _hated_ about that period was the way in which the rules drove everyone just wide of the armies they really wanted to play:
- Alexander was a figure of great interest, but nobody actually played Alexandrians; instead they played Seleucids;
- Julius Caesar was one of many fascinating early Roman generals, but nobody actually played Caesar's Romans, they only played the historically dismal Late Imperial Romans;
- The Middle Ages are full of colorful knight figures, from William Marshal to Richard I to the Black Prince or Marshal Boucicault.Nobody actually played any of those armies, however, since none of those knights could wedge. Instead people played various German armies, or occaisionally Burgundian Ordannance. The two perennial knight armies were Teutonic Knights, and Sicilian Hohenstafen, which Dave Stier played with particularly ruthless efficiency.

If nothing else, I am eternally grateful to FHE for rescuing us from those days and ushering in an era in which the most charismatic and intriguing heroes/leaders/generals of our period are part of top notch (Alexandrian Imperial, 100 Year's War English, Mongols, Later Carthaginian) or at least very competitive (Marian Roman, Early Imperial Roman, Later Crusader, Berbers, etc.) armies.

I suspect the current lack of Roman armies is a reaction to Warrior lance rule that allows all lance-armed cav to charge in a rank and a half. I also suspect that's an overreaction and that early Roman armies, while complicated and expensive, are much more viable than people have given them credit for so far.

Paper-scissors-rock: the pendulum will eventually swing again.

-Mark Stone
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Heh heh, this whole "just because" isn't the exception to the rule for me, it's my guiding principle in army selection.

I've played Khmer for a bazillion years now because of the venerable Garrison Maiden Gaurd figs. Hell, I'll often deploy the Maiden Guard, yeah, they suck in the game, but the figs! I'm not even sure they're available anymore. This is one of the figure exceptions where I don't like Irregular's line over Garrison. I really need to find em again.

My Sumerian army was originally painted on contract for someone else. The figures are soo klunky, not at all slick works of art unpainted but somehow, that style works for the first army in the first army list book. That person then sold the army to someone else. I then traded a 15mm Viking army and some cash. I'd fallen in love with the army, again based on the figs, while I was painting it.

scott

Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject:

Mark said:
[quote="Mark Stone
If nothing else, I am eternally grateful to FHE for rescuing us from those days and ushering in an era in which the most charismatic and intriguing heroes/leaders/generals of our period are part of top notch (Alexandrian Imperial, 100 Year's War English, Mongols, Later Carthaginian) or at least very competitive (Marian Roman, Early Imperial Roman, Later Crusader, Berbers, etc.) armies. [/quote]

I heartily agree. I also echo Scott's remarks because I never even think about competitiveness in choosing an army...now designing an appropriate OOB from that army is a different matter Cool ... and more fun with an army you really love and are loyal to.

I started in 6th with Alexandrian Imperial in 15mm, most of which was painted by a contract painter. I shudder to think of the quality of the paint job on the units I started adding to that core. I soon switched to Antigonos/Demetrios, since the maverick in me wanted something different than either Alex or Seleukos, but quickly moved on to Macedonian Early Successor just because I read a biography of Antigonos Gonatos by WW Tarn, and I became rather disappointed with Demetrios' character after reading Plutarch's account of his life. Somewhere in there, theme tournaments required that I get a medieval army, so I picked Komnenan Byzantines out of religious loyalty and because of what I learned of the Komnenan dynasty in a class taught by G.G. Arnakis in the 1970's. Sure Nikephoreans would have been more competitive, but who wants to be Nikephoros Phokas? And Basil Bulgaroctonos was a pretty dour an uncultured individual.

After about 15 years of losing with both Macedonians and Byzantines, I finally realized that I didn't know how to use cavalry, and needed to remove them as a temptation from my armies. I also realized that all true Greek armies prior to Orthodox Christianity had the same problem. Combine that with the fact that I began to feel that Macedonians were not Greek enough for a guy like me Wink , and thus began a long flirtation with hoplite armies, beginning around the 1995 (or 96?) HCon hoplite theme tourney. Since pikes were the theme soon after that, I was forced to graduate to Hellenistics.

After 10 years of working at it, I began (slowly) to see some opportunities with these ponderous ancient Greek armies, especially if played against opponents overconfident from believing they had gotten an advantageous matchup against a week opponent. Nonetheless, it is still most often a challenge to play competitively with these armies. But that doesn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of it, even if I do have to relearn the rules every July in my first game at H'con.

Conclusion: Like Scott, pretty much all my armies are played just for the hell of it! And I do like to trot out my icons with Alexios or Manuel from time to time, too. Nobody paints up like Byzantines Cool

cloppdave
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject:

As one of the newer players (6 games 3 against Todd) and I hope one of Todds favored Paratice Dummys Very Happy .
I choose My Late Greek (Theban sub-list Very Happy ) as one of my all timea Favorite Army's and this was the Army I started with in 4th ed WGR and yes I am that old and Tru' Du' Street in Saigon was an Ok place when back in from the Bush.
The other Real Big seller for Greeks for me was Xystron figs.
Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject:

[quote="cloppdave"] I choose My Late Greek (Theban sub-list Very Happy ) as one of my all timea Favorite Army's and this was the Army I started with in 4th ed WGR and yes I am that [clip] The other Real Big seller for Greeks for me was Xystron figs.[/quote]

Wow, my favorite army and sublist also (in part because I did some of the research for the list-see my 1995 Spearpoint article). More importantly though, I love to recreate the army of Epaminondas of Thebes, the liberator of the Messenian helots (my ancestors) from Spartan domination. This is also one reason you'll never see me field Spartans of any type Mad

I agree with you about Xyston's 15's as to hoplite and general figures, but I prefer Essex for the cav and auxilliary troops. The Essex horses in 15 are magnificent in my opinion.

This later hoplite army dreads Romans, Incas, Aztecs, and pike/elephant armies but is a good match for cav/knight armies that are still so popular now, and is quite serviceable against many other opponents. However, lately I've been playing Hellenistics, which rely on the same tactical premises but are more versatile. Of course, they aren't as powerful as most Macedoinian armies, but then, I'm not Macedonian. Wink

Noel White
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject:

I play all Classical, all the time.

Alexandrian Macedonian -- My favorite general of all time (before he turned into a jerk), also nice mix of forces for a period I love. Decent balanced force for tournaments.

Late Achaemenid Persian -- the ultimate arch-villian for my Alexander. Though I must say, the more I learn about the Persians, the more I like them. Hard to play with -- the army list is tricky.

Thracian
-- sort of a side-gig. I ended up with a bunch of extra figures. These guys are fun. Kinda like a hockey team with weapons. No matter who wins they always give a 110% and play an A1 game.

Noel.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Chinese v. Enemies

Almost all the armies we play here in Beijing are for fighting 'what if' battles like:

Imperial Alexander v. Warring States
Roman v. Han Chinese
Viking v. Tang Chinese
Viking v. Yuan Dynasty

Because we're in China we like to play 'what if' battles between Chinese armies and Western armies that didn't meet but existed at the same time. So we play armies less for their fighting power and more just to see how the Chinese and Western armies interact with each other.

Our experience has been:

Alexander and the Warring States is a good game but the WS player always has trouble with Alexander's elephants as Warring States don't have a fire list rule.

Roman v. Han Chinese is also interesting but we only played this with a very old WRG Roman list v. OW and haven't used the IW list as we just got it. With the old list the Romans were constantly getting mauled because they had no missles.

Vikings v. Chinese Armies are almays hard for the Viking player. Almost no light troops and no cav make them very difficult to play but maybe we're just doing something wrong. Suggestions welcome.

We also play historical Chinese v. regional enemies matchups but using the above armies for this list of theoretical matchups is the most fun. We have a big list of stuff we want to play through like: Mongols invade France, Expansionist Muslims invade Tang China, etc..

Jonathan
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject:

My first foray into miniatures was back in the very early 7th dats (mid-80s) in California where I was introduced to the ancients tournament scene by Mike Reid. This was the time when the GMT boardgame "Alexander" had recently come out and was being played at our boardagame club. So my first army I played was Alexandrian Macedonian. I only dabbled, maybe a half dozen games total, never actually owned any lead of my own. I did not play ancients (lots of homebrew Napoleonics) again on the West coast.

Shortly after moving back East in the mid-90s I get involved with some people who played DBA and occassionally DBM and I would borrow whatever they brought. About the same time I started going to HMGS-E cons and playing either DBx or, a bit later, 7th. My first army I actually owned was a Macedonian army I bought at the flea market which I used briefly as Seleucids and then mostly as Greco-Bactrians, all in DBM.

More on-topic, two things happened about the same time next - I started getting interested in playing 7th more and I started being very interested in the history of the Byzantines. So the first army I actually built from scratch (getting someone else to paint) was Maurikian Byzantines which I then used a number times against Craig Scott's Sassanids and occassionally in tournies at Lancaster. I still favor the Byzantines, though there are more fun armies to play, for historical reasons. At some point, probably in response to some reading suggestions from Paul Georgian, I get more into the late-Thematic / early-Nikephorian period instead of the Belisarian/Maurikian period.

Meanwhile I got some other armies (Normans, Later Crusaders / Romainian Franks) which I also played out of some historical interest. Somewhere along the line my Byzantine interest expanded also into Patrician Romans which I put together as a DBM army (not _that_ DBM army though). Never played them in 7th or Warrior though I always wanted to. As Warrior was coming out I was getting more into knight and longbow armies, partly on a historical basis but also for gamesmanship reasons. So I played in Warrior a succession of Lusignan Cypriot, HYWE, Medieval Spanish and Free Company - while also trying out Later Crusaders a fews times.

Then, generally a really horrible player, I went through some introspection and sought some advice from this esteemed forum regarding my playing style and army list choices. After wasting a lot of everyone's time and running back and forth between every army list that struck my fancy I tried to figure out what elements in an army I enjoyed and felt competent to use. This, coupled with historical interest, led me to Later Polish but before that even got off the ground I was re-directed by someone to look at the Moldavians for similar reasons. And that seemed to fit like a glove, and had a history that while I would probably never have noticed it otherwise is very intriguing. So I am still a horrible player but at least now I can't blame my whimsical list choices.

So now there are really three armies from the above that I would say I am most interested in playing - Moldavians (still the clear favorite), Early Medieval Spanish Aragonese and Early Nikephorian Byzantine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: