Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Medieval Spanish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Medieval Spanish

The Early period Aragonese have been a long-standing tourney favorite of a number of good players and one-time (perhaps once and future) "killer army".

I had trotted out a knights/moogs no-longbow doubles list I was musing over a while back. The concept has always stuck in the back of my mind for a 1600-pt army.

I have come up with the following that might be worth trying out.

1x CinC 2E IrB SHK/EHK L,Sh(PA) @196
2x Sub 2E RgA SHK/EHK L,Sh(P) @156
4x Knights 2E IrB SHK/EHK L,Sh @124
1x Jinetes 6E IrC LC JLS,Sh @97
3x Moogs 6E IrB LMI HTW,JLS,1/2-Sh @106
1x Xbow 6E IrC LI CB @49
1x Slings 6E IrC LI S,1/2-Sh @55
1x Grenadines 4E RgC LMI B,Sh @74

Seven units of SHK is usually a good solid core of shock troops, and with the addition of 3 large units of moogs the two parts cover each others weakness well. Moogs can fight and get an advantage over enemies that SHK do not really want to tangle with (optimally) and the SHK, in addition to providing their own shock value against many troops, provide a great second-punch versus enemies against whom moogs start to lose their advantage after the first bound of HtH. And in extreme cases these SHK units, especially the sub-generals, are set up to dismount as sometimes very handy SHI/EHI 2HCW/JLS units. Moogs also can serve decently as "terrain troops" if required but this is hardly ideal.

One likely weakness of this army as built above I must admit is against light troops, lacking both heavy-duty missile power (and/or missile resistance) as well as sufficient cheap fast units capapble of absorbing fatigue in chasing down enemy lights. Note that is not saying this army's light troops (or even the lack thereof) are a weakness _per se_ (after all, most medieval knight-based armies share this to some degree), just that there is not a real plentiful number of ways to fight enemy lights. To save points for moogs and knights ahoy I am not taking the longbow option above. The addition of the Grenadines helps, and perhaps mixed in with the jinettes and what service can be obtained from the LI (the slingers being actually somewhat useful) there may be enough here to keep the way clear to more worthwhile enemy targets. In fact, the Grenadines are likely much more useful in the context of the rest of this army than longbowmen would be.

But on a positive note I can at least have a Calatrava sub-general and a Santiago sub-general!

I am curcious if the assembled wisdom would...
a) consider this even worth pursuing by someone with my abilities and temperment as a some-time alternative to playing Moldavians
b) suggest any way of tweaking this around to make a successful some-time open tourney list (with the same 'ability and temperment' comment in mind)
c) have any idea with the new assortment of open-toruney "killer foot" how these moogs, or dismounted SHK/EHK combo, stand up anymore (given at least that they might have follow-up support from SHK units like this) - probably a whole topic all on its own there

Also interested in Timurids as a "second army", but I know from experience that I enjoy playing the SHK/moog combo wheras Timurids are a very good army which I should be able to make into a shock cav army with good lights and missile troops but much more unsure about just exactly how - and why play them as such when they seem so much like my first army anyhow.
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Spanish

John,

You've put together a good non-longbow list here, and there's only one thing I would tweak: take one of your 6-stand "moog" units and turn it into 2 2-stand units. You'll inevitably find there are times when you need a smaller unit to fit in a gap, hit a flank, etc. Also, using a small unit next to your own LI to chase off enemy LI/LC is more efficient that either (a) letting enemy lights have their way with your, or (b) using a larger foot unit just for chasing lights.

-Mark Stone
Dwyight
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject:

Is this army vulnerable to armies that can cover larges fronts by virtue of having lots of cheap or highly mobile troops?
joncleaves

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject:

John

I play this a lot and have taken it to second in the 25mm Teams twice, and second in the NICT once, as well as won many local events. I would say thought, that i always took the english command. The AG and the long bow in four units for a five unit ommand.

I don't like the 6E moogs. Makes you think you can fight things you can't and can't fit into places you need them. 2-3 x 2E is enough.

I like your regular subs, I have not done that but it is the next change I am going to make.

I like the grenadines in 2 x 2E units - great little support troops.

Jon

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Is this army vulnerable to armies that can cover larges fronts by virtue of having lots of cheap or highly mobile troops?

Somewhat. The light troops are adequate, but not great, so while they can greatly extend the frontage covered by the Spanish, they aren't necessarily going to hold up for a long time.

For the Spanish that's probably OK, given the speed of their strike force. Almughuvars, once they've marched to position, can approach and charge a stationary target in a single bound. Longbowmen, once they've marched to position, can approach to close range for shooting in a single bound. Knights can threaten anything within 320p, a particularly challenging threat when some of the knights are regular.

A decisive Spanish player who knows his army should be able to deliver the killing blow before the weak spots in his skirmish line collapse.

-Mark Stone
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject:

joncleaves wrote:

I don't like the 6E moogs. Makes you think you can fight things you can't.

Always a good point to consider when building a list. THis comment and several like it in the past have always got the gears turning.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: moogs plus knights

You should consider your moogs operating next to your knights, the latter mounted usually, but occasionally dismounted (vs. elephants.)

In some situations they charge together. In others (against spear or pike armed enemies) the moogs charge first, then the knights.

As Mark says, your relatively poor quality lights are there to slow up the enemy, but they won't last more than a couple of bounds...so your knight and moog force has to hit a vulnerable part of your opponent's army as fast as possible before one or both of your flanks collapse.

The moogs should be in smaller units...I don't like 2E units because they can get shot to pieces...but 4E units seems reasonable, sometimes operating in column.

Frank
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Medieval Spanish

John Murphy wrote:

1x CinC 2E IrB SHK/EHK L,Sh(PA) @196
2x Sub 2E RgA SHK/EHK L,Sh(P) @156
4x Knights 2E IrB SHK/EHK L,Sh @124
1x Jinetes 6E IrC LC JLS,Sh @97
4x Moogs 4E IrB LMI HTW,JLS,1/2-Sh @79
1x Xbow 6E IrC LI CB @49
1x Slings 6E IrC LI S,1/2-Sh @55
1x Grenadines 4E RgC LMI B,Sh @74

With the smaller moog units, perhaps more effective since more units, and actually 2 points cheaper this way.

I would be a bit worried about getting the moogs shot up, but since they are tucked between the SHK and (hopefully) I am also worried about getting the SHK shot up they should do okay since they would benefit from the same mitigating action that the SHK will. I dunno, having said that it sounds stupid but we'll see.

So I have this line of tin cans and moogs. Now, what to do with the light troops and the Grenadines?

The slingers will probably serve as the LI screen at the point of attack with the SHK and moogs coming up behind them. Not a complete screen by themselves, so the Grenadines will probably get pressed into this service as well - being regulars they can at least manuever to jump out of the way (or get real skinny) at the passing of lines for "conversion to shock".

That leaves the crossbow LI as a 1-bound, maybe 2-bound, flank screen with the Jinettes serving a function or a more substantial (though still not adequate) flank screen or better yet staying in a column amongst the tin cans to chase away some enemy light troops (problem with that is leaving a gap for them to come evading, or routing, back through - but hey you can't have an army with every dang thing under the sun).

Hmmm, still a bizarre army in the sense that, unlike the longbow version, there really isn't anything you would call "line" troops. So while most medieval armies without great lights at least have something they can use to fill board space for a few bounds (like cheap CO foot) and counter-strike this one really needs to lean into the attack from the get go and find and destroy some targets right away to force the enemy on the defensive.

But chances are there should be something in almost every enemy that the knights or moogs can really damage.

And hopefully not an army too heavy on the "mental load" factor with traffic jams trying to counter-march 25 different unit types to just the right place in the line against an enemy doing the same thing. Shudder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: