Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kubla Con Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Kubla Con Report

Yesterday we concluded an enjoyable weekend of gaming at Kubla Con in San Francisco. This is the Bay Area's largest overall gaming convention, and Warrior competes with a lot of other games for people's time. Still, we had five players turn out and got in some good games over the weekend.

Players were:
    - Ed Forbes, Marian Romans
    - Bill Chamis, Knights of Saint John
    - Mark Stone, 10 Independent States
    - Dale Shanek, Asiatic Early Successor
    - John Bauman, Incan

Ed was the high scorer among players who got in three games, followed by Bill.

I've concluded that running a tournament at these lare cons is not best thing for us to do. We have enough critical mass in Northern California to run Warrior tournaments in a standalone setting, as we did in Monterey last Fall, or in smaller historical gaming events like Manny Granillo's The Shield convention in February. At a large con, we (a) don't get enough players, and (b) aren't serving the needs of curious potential recruits.

We had a high visibility spot in the miniatures room, and lots of foot traffic passing by. Many people were curious about what rules system we were playing, and our games clearly created an appealing visual spectacle (John's gorgeous Incan army helps a lot).

But what most potential recruits are looking for is a game they can dabble in for a few hours as a learning experience, and then move on to other things they want to try out. To me, this says two things:
    - We desperately need Warrior battles to ease folks into the game;
    - We should be running scenario battles of reasonably well known events, with experienced Warrior players at hand to tutor beginners through the scenario

With that in mind, I'll try running the 3rd Crusade Arsuf Campaign I've been thinking about when the Labor Day Con rolls around. And with your permission, Jon, I'd like to use that event to test drive Warrior Battles. Let me know how feasible you think that is.

-Mark Stone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: