Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Painting Resin Buildings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Garlic
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Painting Resin Buildings

Hi All,

Getting ready to paint first resin building. Does it take any special paint, or do acrylics work fine. I was going to base coat it, the dry brush on acrylics.

John Garlic
vdal1812
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject:

Acrylic paints will work just fine on Resin buildings. Make sure you wash the buildings 1st with a little dish soap. There is a release agent on the resin that could spoil an otherwise great paint job.

Vidal
Michael Bard
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject:

I'd try a small portion of a building first. The paint won't hurt it, but there are some resin pieces that I've had to scrup vigorously with a toothbrush and soap to get the mold release off. If they're not too big, you might want to try that just in case.
Greg
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject:

You have gotten some good advice on cleanup already John. Don't skip this step, or you will be sorry, ha-ha!

For building, I'm all about very light colors with thin dark washes over top. I think it gives the best "look", not unlike what you see from top armor modelers. All that dry brushing just makes the paint buildup too extreme for my taste. The other thing I like about heavy washing is that you can do an overall wash, and then do layover washes of a darker color in the interior corners and below windows. It's a great look. If you really want to get fancy, decide how you want your building to be placed, and after you do all the other washes, do a VERY thin wash with blue ink on the side of each building that you decide will be facing the sun. It's very subtle, but looks killer on the table.

In another post, Ambrose suggested an airbrush. I very much second this notion. An airbrush is the best tool a painter can have, and well worth the investment. You can prime with it, and it does a MUCH better job then spray paint. After you get some skill, you can even put some of the base colors down with the gun, which saves a ton of time.

If you want, next time you are in SA, I will give you the two-minute class.
John Garlic
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject:

Hey Greg,

Thanks for the advice. I'll be passing through S.A. on way to Austin for ASL Team Tournament this weekend, but no time for stop. Looking forward to some Warrior though. Bill Chriss and I got in a game last week and may get one more in in Corpus late next week.

Thanks for the painting advice, your work is awesome. I haven't tried an airbrush (very nervous about it) and am a decidedly average painter. I am working on some 25mm for Historicon right now. I don't do eyes, and thought the figures would be easier than 15mm. I guess I am used to painting the smaller scale because my painting really seems a lot slower. Been working more with black and brown ink washes. Haven't quite gotten right dilutions down yet. Looks passable so far though.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: