Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Camillan Latin Spearmen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelly Wilkinson
Dictator
Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Camillan Latin Spearmen

During my list browsing I noticed something that didn't seem right. Perhaps I'm mistaken but I noticed that the Camillan Roman Latin troops must either be based as Mi or Hi whereas the Phyrric list (a contemporary opponent can have them as Regular LMI JLS, Sh) Normally this would not be a problem, but in order for the Camillans to get these troops without taking an allied general is impossible. Is there some historical reason that this was written this way?

Added to this, lists 9 and 29 which are contemporaries to the Camillans and can have Camillan Allies, have Regular LMI present. Could or do you think should the Romans be able to purchase their Latin troops as LMI?

KW
Bill Low

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, Kelly. I must not be understanding the question. There are no Latins in the Pyrrhic list ... or in 9 or 29 for that matter.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: he means Samnite

There are Romans on the Samnite list, #29, and yes the Principes should have the HI option, right Bill?
Kelly Wilkinson
Dictator
Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Sorry Bill,

Sometimes I'm not very expressive/clear on the ole email at least when trying to convey my thoughts. I am vexed by the lack of choice to purchase regular LMI/LHI Latin/Itallian troops in the Camillan list. The list for some reason only allows this group of troops to be purchased as MI or HI but not LMI/LHI as they are in contemporary lists where Camillan Romans are allies. This is not to say that these can't be purchased as Samnites, but what if I want to use Oscans instead of Samnites and forgoe the ally general? Thanks for looking this over ,

Kelly
Bill Low

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Well, there's your problem. Latins are not the same as Oscans; the circumstances of the two groups were quite different. I don't think any list allows Latins to be taken as loose order. Sorry about the vexation; not much we can do about that!
Bill Low

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Well, there's your problem. Latins are not the same as Oscans; the circumstances of the two groups were quite different. I don't think any list allows Latins to be taken as loose order. Sorry about the vexation; not much we can do about that!
Kelly Wilkinson
Dictator
Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Latin Spearmen

Bill,

You are absolutely correct. I actually looked at several lists and you guys did a great job being consistent where the Latin league is concerned. So, what about the Campanians? I read in one of the lists notes(list 9 classical warrior) that they were allied with Rome and incorporated a few years later. Basically here's the exact reference from page 21
Quote:
,"The Campanians allied with Rome in 343 BC against the Samnites and were incorporated into the Roman state three years later."
(By the way, unless these guys that allied with Rome had a Lucanian CinC, there is no mention of this alliance as a possibility in list 9) Who knows if they would have maintained their native fighting style, but it seems this could be a good case, using list 9's notes for Camillan Romans to be able to use Regular LMI from the incorporated Oscan tribe known as the Campanians. . . Whether you agree or not, I still love the Camillan list, but having LMI that one does not have to purchase an ally to get would certainly be nice if not make sense as I'm sure that not all of Rome's battles took place on only open ground. Thanks for your kind forebearance,

Kelly Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: