Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"real man's army" - everybody walks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject:

I am not really afraid to run loose order with LTS and a missile weapon against most mounted, especially in large deep units, and I forget but I thought maybe I read something in the list notes about not mixing loose and close order troops so if I have to make a choice I went with LMI. But maybe I am thinking of a different list. However the mounted CinC required by the later period is anathema to this list idea which was also part of why I didn't go that way.

But I dunno. I went and tried a few attempts at the Norse-Irish but I keep coming to the conclusion that gee all the units are basically the same. At least I have to credit your Araucanians with having a few different troop types.

Well see, turns out I'm going to have to put any new army building on the back burner for a while perhaps anyhow.
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject:

John Murphy wrote:
A first cut trial list to throw out for discussion before I go looking more in depth at the Boran Norse-Irish.

And the wise men of the forum haven't had a list to rip apart in some time...

Araucanians (might even learn how to say this)
1597 points

1x4E IrrB LMI
1/4 CinC LTS,B,Sh (PA) @125 =170
3/4 Araucanian Bodyguards LTS,B,Sh @15

1x4E IrrB LMI
1/4 Sub-general LTS,B,Sh (P) @65 =110
3/4 Araucanian Bodyguards LTS,B,Sh @15

Etc.

OK, time for some good-natured brutishness in response to this list. If you go down this road, you are combining the worst of two army list styles.

Shooting armies want their core shooters to be 4 figures per stand. Anything less is a waste of density, and shooting effectiveness is all about achieving maximum density in the right place at the right time. Araucanians can be configured with some MI, so if you want to use this as a shooting army use the MI.

Impetuously charging loose order foot want to be using any weapon other than LTS (OK, that's a bit of an exagerration - SA or IPW would be worse). Since you're impetuous, nobody faces the -2 for facing LTS. Since you have LTS, you're essentially fighting as SA in a rank and half. Guys with just JLS,Sh would be better.

So figure out what you want. Do you want to shoot? There are much better shooting armies. Do you want to slam into people impetuously? There are probably much better armies for that as well, but Araucanians can do fine in that respect if configured differently.

Figure out what you want, and make sure you have a large core of the army that does that one thing well. Then you can figure out how to balance it out with the right supporting troops.

-Mark Stone
KellyWilkinson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Spartacans

Jon,

What figure manufacturer are you thinking about using? I think that 1st Corp make a figure that looks like Kirk Douglas. . .

Kelly
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Everyone walks

What about nubian, use lots of units of 6 man lmi jls,sh vs knights
He charges you 3 or four fatigues conbat 5 @5 or 5 @ 7 20 or 30 fatiguers
Your fight 5 @2 I believe
So if he is non impetuos, you do 10 he does 20 with no dice: However you roll up one it's even you roll up 4 and he is close to routing. And if he rolls over you he now has 4 CPF, and persues one turn (1 more CPF I believe) - you use another unit and now he is not impetuos and tired, he now has 5@4 or 15 you roll up and he is toast. At best he has 7 units of SHK- you can have 12 of lmi and its less than half your army.
Simplistic but fun, it just relies on the orcish(sorry chinese, japanese persian etc) philosophy of life: So what if they die there are more where they came from who are not such wimps, let's see if they fight any better.

Just a thought
Robert
Noel White
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject:

He he, better yet...
(I think there is a list that can do this)
Make an army of all LI, Sh-less for cheapness.
Nobody tests for routing friends, ever.
Everyone can evade, and interpenetrate each other freely.
You'll be able to cover the entire table with frontage, 2 or 3 units deep!
You can all hide in brush/rocks/woods etc.
When the enemy attacks, he'll rout whatever he can catch, but he'll exhaust himself destroying units that cost very little points. His flanks will become available, and that will be the end of it.

Of course, you have to paint 400+ figures of naked men ....

Noel.
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject:

Noel -

- been there, done that Smile. Difficult to get it to work - your units are so stacked that a pursuer almost always convert-charges, and hence can't be flanked; and you interpenetrate to rout/evade off-table a lot, so pretty soon the whole army goes onto Retreat.

Not impossible, but very tough.

E
Noel White
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Did you actually paint it up?

Noel.
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject:

Well, yes and no - it was painted, but by somone much faster and more skilled than I. [As I recall, built around the LI from a Midianite.]
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: lots of LI

I ran (still have) an old chinese army under the old lists that ran 192 figures (12 eight element units) of Irr D LI Bow. The second line was half shielded.

The idea was to do some shooting, and have the front line die off, do a little more shooting with the second line and have some of it die. Nobody cares, enemy is terribly tired...so that now the third line of some axemen, some spearmen, some light chariots, and a bunch of Reg LMI bowmen can clean up.

Problems:
1) It took too long. The opponent could carefully engage, kill a bunch of my LI, and have a reasonable victory without losing much, if anything, by the time a tournament game finished.

2) This was back when commands just didn't demoralize. I wouldn't want to try it now that only half of a command needs to be routed before it demoralizes.

3) You really need the LI to be Irr D, or your third line won't have enough points in it, and your opponent will get too many points from each LI unit killed. You also need the LI to have a decent missile weapon so that it can reach out to 240p and damage the enemy. You need at least 96 elements of these guys...I don't think there's a modern list that meets all of these LI requirements. Is there?

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: