Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parade of the "Craptacular" - Swiss
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siward
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Having played mostly Swiss for the last year or so I am enjoying this topic.
Scott's comment about not having too much terrain is valid from my experience. Although the Swiss are loose formation I have found rough terrain a hindrance. It is possible ( though very scary ) to fight a mobile enemy with the Swiss on a featureless table. Massive levels of aggression and a few sedatives after the game are required Smile
I have mucked around with a few lists but ultimately find that heaps of Swiss foot supplemented by a couple of units of Swiss cavalry ( to keep skirmishing enemy infantry honest ) is best.
The suggestion to use the later German however has particular merit. I just don't have the mass of German foot to try it as yet.

Cheers...........Geoff
Terry Dix
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Swiss

Unless I'm missing something, the first line on 11.2 is foot fighting mounted recoil disordered. Even if it weren't it would follow line 3 as it is other loose formation break off or recoil. This was clairfied by jon sometime ago. I looked it up, but my treo can't quote it. If you search the archives for swiss its the "swiss recoil 2nd" result Ed Forbes was the OP for that thread.

Todd Schneider wrote:
Mark Stone wrote:

These smaller units do just fine against mounted charges where shooting is not involved. Take a near worst case scenario: frontal charge by impetuous SHK who roll up 1.

The SHK do 5@6=25, for 2 CPF.
The Swiss do 8@3=20, for 3 CPF.

Yes, the knights win, and get to expand and follow up. So what? They are now tired and disordered, following up against steady 2HCT who are not tired. The next bound looks like this:

The SHK do 6@1=9. Not a CPF.
The Swiss do 4@2 + 4@1 = 14.

The knights recoil, and must now rally tired and disordered.

Actually, because the Swiss are Pike armed, wouldn't the block just disorder in place without recoiling? And because they disorder in place, the Knight don't get a follow up, but are worse in the ensuing combat.
I can't find my copy of Medieval Warrior, so am going from shoddy memory here, but the Swiss only get to exchange if they recoil, don't they? Am I not rembering their rules correctly?

Thanks for the replies,
Todd
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Terrain

In response to Siward channeling Scott Holder, on terrain...

There is no such thing as 'too much terrain', really. There is very much such a thing as the wrong terrain picks, and poor terrain placement.

In our particular case of the Swiss, the army can only reliably cover half the table with an offensive threat.

The remainder of the table can't consist of fluffy little Reg B light units dancing around, and thus needs to be cut off by terrain.

The ground over which the Swiss advance and attack should and will be open, you just want to cut out as much of half the table as you can with things like Steep Hills, Marshes projecting off Minor Water Features, etc.

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: