Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Camels as Portable Obstacles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Camels as Portable Obstacles

Since this subject is both rules and list related, Jon and I have been fielding off-forum inquiries about how the camels work in Dark Age Warrior List 15, Arab Conquest.

1) How they work as far setup (movement and deployment, Movement after deployment, etc etc,)

Read 6.6 all the way thru. Then reread the List Rule. It says the camels can be used as a Portable Obstacle (PO) while dismounted. That means that the unit must already be dismounted before it decides to place the PO.

Also, pay close attention to 6.62 and the restrictions in formation on Mounted Infantry. These guys need to be in a column while moving and when they first dismount, they're in a column.

Let me provide an example of how the mechanics of this:

Bound 1, Arab Conquest Foot Warriors equipped with camels deploy with an intent to move this bound. That means they must deploy in column (Pg 65, 6.62). Look closely at para 2 of that section. If the Foot Warriors fall under that description read no further since the unit "must remain dismounted for the duration of the game." But let's assume the Foot Warriors have a mounted version even tho it's main usage will be as POs while dismounted. The Foot Warriors move in Bound 1.

Bound 2, Arab Conquest Foot Warriors elect to dismount. This requires a Manuever. The unit is now disordered and in a column. See below for where the camel affect of disorder is measured from. Should nothing happen to the unit, during the End Phase of Bound 2, it will recover.

Bound 3. The Foot Warriors are still in a column, camels in the back. Should the Foot Warrior unit do anything, it cannot deploy the camels as a PO. Read Pg 99, 12.323, Section E: "Positioning or removing POs completely replaces an approach or counter move..." Assume they decide to deploy the PO, okay, but it's only deployed along the frontage of ONE ELEMENT! If they want to do that, then next bound expand and say "we've now got camels as POs all along our frontage", that is not allowed. Thus, the proper sequence to do this is on this bound, expand however wide you want or can be, move your 40p if you want.

Bound 4: "Position" (ie., setup) your PO. Now they're along the frontage of the unit. Now you measure the disorder from along the front. But remember that the Foot Warrios don't do anything else this bound.

Bound 5: "Removing" (ie., take down) your PO. Now the camels have been moved back to the rear again. The Foot Warriors do nothing else during the bound. The unit remains in the block dimensions it was prior to taking down the PO. Let's assume the Foot Warriors now want to move as mounted infantry

Bound 6: They mount up. This is a Manuever. But the first bullet on page 65, first column, states "mounted infantry troops can only move in column". Thus, the unit "mounts up" but remains the block it was in before mounting up. Should it decide to move, it must first perform a Manuever and go into a column and that (now) won't happen until Bound 7.

Bound 7: The Foot Warriors can move but only if they perform the aforementioned Manuever to go into a column. Now, they could always elect to dismount, in which case they would end up in the same block size as before, only now, they're disordered and the camels are in the rear.

2) If camels are in the back of unit (aka Dismounted foot) is disordered measured from the back of the unit?

Pg 65, 6.65 answers this: "the range of this effect is measured from anywhere on the REAR edge of the dismounted infantry body."

3) Disorder affects they give out and how disorder affects them per say (elephants rolling up to tethered camels)

Read pg 65, 6.65: "Their mounts are present but not 'inside the formation' for any purpose such as being...mounted troops for...being disordered by camels or elephants." Let me summarize all of this:

1) If the Foot Warriors are mounted, then the camels disorder like any other "real" camel unit.

2) If dismounted but camels are not deployed as POs, then camel disorder measurement is from the REAR edge of the body.

3) If the camels are deployed as POs, then the camel disorder is measured from the front edge of the obstacle

Finally, Jon and I are mulling over the idea of how (or if) tethered camels can be destroyed by missile weapon fire. If so, how? And if so, even if the camels are "killed", the obstacle would still be there and be just as effective. However, it would be permament. Again, we might end up doing nothing on this, we're simply looking at the concept.

Finally Part 2: I swear somebody told me that they thought the camel PO acted as cover against shooting. It does not.

Hope this helps.

scott

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Arab Conquest is not the only list to which this applies. There's also Later Moorish (I think; don't have my books w/me, so I'm doing this from memory). Cool list, but odd name, since there is no Early Moorish.

Now. Let me see if I've got this straight.

Let's suppose that I totally ignore the fact that I can use the camels to mount up and move as mounted infantry. I only care about the PO part.

In this case I can deploy already dismounted, and already steady, and don't have to deploy in column. Right? Yes, I march slower; oh well. Once in tactical move range, setting up the PO is no different from longbowmen setting up stakes, right? And I get the added bonus of camel disorder, measured from the rear of the unit prior to setting up PO, and measured from the PO once set up.

Am I missing anything here?

-Mark Stone
scott holder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Nope
browntj007
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Dismounted camel obstacles - ala Coddington's Camel Corps(e)

Well, The good news is Ambrose and I have been using the damned things correctly all along. Rolling Eyes

The bad news is...everyone will continue to see them played! Wink
Ambrose Coddington
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Well...
Not QUITE Mr. Brown.
We have been measuring disorder from emplaced camels from the front edge of the unit and not the front edge of the obstacle.

My earlier conversation with Jon cleared that up a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: