Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two Qs from PointCon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Two Qs from PointCon

Q1. Regarding contacting new enemy in a follow-up move, and expanding.

Rules say that 'an expansion which contacts new enemy is not permitted' but a 'follow-up move which reaches a new enemy is a converted charge' (we knew that, but it confirms that follow-up moves may indeed contact such an enemy).

I read this to mean that the following-up unit expands, if desiring to do so, but could not if that act alone would contact fresh enemy (for instance, an adjacent unit prolonging the front of the initial enemy); however, if - having expanded - the follow-up move hit a new enemy, no problem.

The alternative view is that a follow-up move *may not* include an expansion if that expansion would result in the move forward then contacting fresh enemy.

Which is correct?

Q2. Shooting targets.

The 'priorities' discussed only bodies, which led to this: a unit at which I am shooting is 4E: 2 JLS, D, Sh and 2 B. It's expanded out into a line 4-wide. One of my shooting elements is directly in front of both a B element and a JLS, D, Sh element; the angle between the units is such that the JLS element is closer to me. What do I shoot at?

Because the 'priorities' section only discusses bodies, there's no wording there which helps, so I saw the situation as akin to hitting the flank of a body with differing armour types, where you get to pick.

The alternative is that you must shoot at the closest element - i.e. priorities apply *within* targets as well as between targets.

Which is correct?

I think that's alll that came up. They both involved me Wink
joncleaves

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Q1 - what you call the 'alternative view' is correct.

Q2 - priorities only apply to bodies. 8.92 tells you which target element to use to get the weapon factor.

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject:

joncleaves wrote:
Q1 - what you call the 'alternative view' is correct.

Q2 - priorities only apply to bodies. 8.92 tells you which target element to use to get the weapon factor.

Jon,

I'll check the archives but I'm fairly sure this contradicts a related question I asked some time ago. My question was something like this:

If the shieldless side of a rear element is within shooting arc and meets all the visibility tests, can you opt to shoot at that shieldless rear element even if the shielded front of the body is what is closest to you?

I believe then you answered that one had to shoot at the nearest element in a body. I'll see if I can find that in the archives and double check, but that's how I remember it.

-Mark Stone
joncleaves

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject:

I do not see the contradiction. 8.92 would tell you to do exactly that in that case, which is how I answered.

8.92 says:

"Weapon Factors vary with weapons used and target type.
• If the target is not in skirmish formation, count the type
of the closest element eligible as a target."

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject:

joncleaves wrote:
I do not see the contradiction. 8.92 would tell you to do exactly that in that case, which is how I answered.

8.92 says:

"Weapon Factors vary with weapons used and target type.
• If the target is not in skirmish formation, count the type
of the closest element eligible as a target."

Got it. Thanks for the clarification, Jon. -Mark
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject:

Actually, while the rules (congrats!) do clearly try to cover this... the target body *was* in skirmish formation.

Smile

No, I'm (even *I*'m) not attempting to suggest any other solution than 'nearest element' at this point. It's also pretty clear that I should stop arguing with Bill's interpretations of the rules :-/.
joncleaves

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject:

The rules for what to do when the body is in skirmish is the next bullet down under 8.92....

Remember kids, reading the rules before asking the question - or commenting on the answer - is not a crime! Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: