Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obstacle Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Chariots, I assume, cannot charge a defended obstacle since they cannot cross an obstacle?

Likewise, mounted cannot charge a defended TF since they cannot cross TFs?

We've had this discussion previously on the forum, I'm just not finding it right now.

-Mark Stone
Siward
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Mark Stone wrote:
Chariots, I assume, cannot charge a defended obstacle since they cannot cross an obstacle?

Likewise, mounted cannot charge a defended TF since they cannot cross TFs?

We've had this discussion previously on the forum, I'm just not finding it right now.

-Mark Stone

These examples make perfect sense and I can find specific references to them in them rules. The reason I asked about the charge distance is because I cannot find in the rules where what John has just stated is made clear.

This discussion has led to me to ask for another clarification that I cannot find a specific reference to.
What happens at the point of post combat results regarding movement when a PO is involved?
I would assume that a unit pursuing ( in the instance of opponenets breaking off or routing ) would have it's move reduced as it would be at this point that it finally crosses the obstacle. This would apply for the troops defending the obstacle as much as those attacking it .
Does the attacking unit in this instance measure it's move from where it contacted the PO or the position of the front of the body of the troops that were defending them?

Cheers............Geoff
Murray Evans
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject:

Hi Jon

I am also painting up HYW, and am interested in these posts.

My understanding is that we have always played the game here as if the stakes (or other PO's) are there for aesthetic purposes only (doesn't mean its right!) and don't effect any measurement or other details.

If measurement is taken to the obtacle, then this seems to change lots of stuff.

For instance, if an enemy body approaching first moves to 40p, then can my unit place stakes, or is this forbidden as would be placed within 40p of enemy.

If my unit moves first, and places stakes then enemy can only effectively get to 80p from my unit, meaning I am more likely to get away if in skirmish next period.

As noted in the earlier post, the measurement to the obstacle edge, and ability of an enemy to charge by measuring to that obstacle position, will effect game play. It would mean that an enemy loose order foot unit can effectively charge my unit behind the obstacle (if at say 140 from my unit but 100 from front of obstacle) from a position out of effective (short) LB range.

Is this intended? Or do the stakes (as the PO in this example) merely form the front of the target body (refer 6.162). If not, you would wonder if the obstacle actually forms part of the body, but I would have thought so as they don't exist without the body initially.

Other ways I believe we have played these rules in the past, includes that you must be within 40/80 p to charge across stakes (close inf + cav/loose inf) as noted in earlier post.

A charge is a tactical move (6.11) - difficult terrain includes obstacles - 6.11 tells us the distances. Other sections, 6.711 and 12.324 say that troops must stop movement until next bound if reach an obstacle after exceeding those distances.

Does this mean that such troops can declare a charge that move, as they would then be moving again in that bound?

Muz
joncleaves

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject:

It looks from all this attention to a minor rule that Scott or I might have said something confusing some where, so before I open my big yap again, I am going to get with Scott and we will come up with a comprehensive answer. Please be patient with us.
Tib

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Obstacles qustions revisited

Dear Jon

Just wondering if anything had been nutted out regarding the implications of obstacles mentioned earlier in this thread?

Us Aussies are still wondering as this issue stil pervades many of our games.

Regards

TIbor
joncleaves

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject:

I am just about done with the latest errata update, which includes this. Just a couple more days, max...
joncleaves

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject:

The following is new errata we have just approved. Sometime in the next few days a document consolidating this with previous errata and superceding all previous errata documents will be posted on this forum and on our website.
I am placing this here because some of it clarifies the discussion in this particular thread. The portion applying to this thread is highlighted in bold.

New Errata, 1 May 2007

6.163H (pg 43). Change “extending out its tactical move.” at the end of the first sentence to “extending out to its charge reach.”

6.7 (pg 65-66). Add: “A body that includes animals voluntarily moving (including maneuvering) in or into a very rough area must be and remain in column."

6.711 (pg 65). In the second paragraph, delete “until next bound. “

9.3 (pg 83). (Supersedes old errata). Add fifth bullet under JLS:

• "A foot figure armed with JLS and with no other close combat weapon but inherent SA always receives the JLS +.”

12.322B (pg 9Cool. Add: “A body that includes animals voluntarily moving (including maneuvering) in or into a very rough area must be and remain in column."

12.323 (pg 98-100). Gully sides, Hedges, Portable Obstacles and Temporary Fortifications (12.324) have a “line of effect” (LOE). This LOE is the actual line that, when crossed, produces the effects of the obstacle for 12.323 (and therefore also 6.7) and 9.5.
Warrior cannot hope to describe all the various ways these features may be modeled and does not want to restrict player creativity. The player placing the terrain feature, portable obstacle (PO) or temporary fortification (TF) must designate which linear part of the representation is the LOE. For example, a physical model of a gully will have gully sides that have varying degrees of depth to them, but the placing player will designate exactly where the LOE exists in the modeling of the gully side.
For PO’s the LOE will be the edge of the PO in contact with the deploying body at the time of deployment.

The on-table representations of these items may have the depths specified in their various rules, but it is only when the LOE is contacted that the feature produces its game effect(s).

For all rules the words “crosses an/the obstacle” will mean “crosses an/the obstacle’s LOE”. “Across an/the obstacle” will mean “across a/the LOE.”

For the purposes of 9.5, “defending the obstacle” is the same as “the (first) body in contact with the LOE.” “Entering combat” is the same as “contacting the LOE as part of a charge.”

12.323E (pg 99). Tethered animals may be destroyed in the same way as TFs. This is done in the same manner as in 12.324E with the following exceptions:
1. The PO must be shot at as a whole.
2. Each element counts as 3 figures for CPF calculations.

Ambrose Coddington
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Very Elegant.

Thank you Jon.
Siward
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Jon for this clarification. The way you have done it removes all the ambiguity.

Cheers.............Geoff
joncleaves

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject:

You are very welcome my friends. It is my pleasure to serve the gamer.

Thanks also to the guys who point this stuff out and to my fellow horsemen for helping to refine the words and catch my typos.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: