Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LB/CB mix option and fighting tr (separate ?'s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: LB/CB mix option and fighting tr (separate ?'s)

I am looking at doing one of a few other armies.
Each has some tactical elements with which I have absolutely no familiarity, and it is quite possible to simply pass these tactics up, but perhaps to evaluate that choice properly it would be a good idea to figure out how they might work.

First - Early Burgundians (likely the Early period)
These are one of the very few armies (only?) that can have bow units with LB in front rank and CB in back rank. At first, just looking at the charts this seemed like a really great idea as double the shooters in the back rank is certainly worth one less factor and in some cases not even that. But the difference is not huge as far as I can tell against at least some matchups and there is another issue to consider. At a range of 121p-180p the rear rank longbowmen are suddenly the best rear-rank shooters around, since they retain their slightly higher factor and also do not get halved twice for both long range and rear-rank shooting. But again the difference is close, and at long range there is just not enough ooomph coming out of the unit to affect anything that a sane player is going to put against it - at least that is my impression. What is the thought on this from the tactics geniuses within the context of this terrific army (there are 144 regular loose-order long-range shooters in this army coupled with 42 SH/EH knights that dismount as 56 SH/EH foot, and that is at 1600 points)?

Second - Later Polish (likely the Late period)
I have looked at this army ad nauseum before, but I am re-examining it now with a bit different ideas. THere are a few real good options to choose from in the list I have come up with for them, and some involve using the Irreg axemen/spearmen in units with front rank 2HCW and back rank JLS, maybe even making the fronters LHI. But I am looking at the Tabor wagons, fighting transport in large quantities available. It sounds intriguing both from historical perspective as well as from the sheer novelty of it - most players (unfortunately including myself) I think would be hard-pressed to know what the fighting transport rules are without loking them up at the moment of combat. But they seem to me to be actually kind of limited to defensive missile platforms and the rules require them to be used by close-order foot. Now, I am using the archers for LI troops which they suited for and there is nothing else readily to fill this role. That leaves only the crossbowmen. So I ask (a) is it worth making some spear/axe close-order to ride them around in wagons which can not charge anyone and (b) is it worth taking usually not great close-order crossbows if they can sit in wagons and get a -4 to enemy attacks while shooting at them from above? Or is there something involving the use of the fighting transport that I am missing? The handgunners can't be close-order or that might be one option.
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: more on wagons

One thing just hit me on my way back from picking up hay.

THe Tabor wagons are not particularly an effective direct offensive tool (understatement) but where they might excel is in _protecting_ an offensive. For instance, a column of fighting transport wagons holding MI or even HI with JLS or better yet 2HCT could move along with the attack on a flank and basically nothing could come through the wagons to encircle your attackers. They would count as higher ground (-2), defended obstacle (-2) and 2HCT (-1) and be 4-figure elements of HI to boot. So even something hideous like moogs (the worst 1st-round case for this) would hit only 5@+4=15 per element frontage against 9 figs for CPF while the Tabor passengers would fight back at 4@+5=16 per element frontage against 6 figs for CPF, with no worse the next bound since they _still_ would not count shieldless in the wagons.

You really would not need them to be HI, and you really could probably just have JLS. FOr that matter, you could just have crossbows maybe and count on support shooting (no -2 because defending obstacle) and weight. The Tabor do not get cover but the crossbows would never count shieldless even when shooting. And I think they would count the -1 for being higher as a shooting target plus being 9 figures per "element" for CPF.

If I am correct about all the rules and about the math, then the only problem would be incindiaries.

So my idea is to use these without needing to be _huge_ unit for a solid flank defense or a way to cover a lot of ground defensively where I do not want to attack or do not want to _be_ attacked.

What do you think? Workable?
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: tactics, LB/CB and wagons

I and others have looked at the Early Burgundian with their ability to put CB behind LB.

It appears to be of only minor value. As you already note you are worse off when at 161 to 240p than all LB. You are also worse off when in skirmish formation. If you add up the 'typical' damage a LB/CB unit does in close range with all figures firing that amount of casualties doesn't seem to cross many CPF boundaries as opposed to entirely LB.

You are also required to take a unit of HC CB, which is close to wasted points. We may see some responses of how to use Irr C HC CB following this, but I think if any of us could avoid buying such a unit we would.

Of some interest is the later period in which you can take Swiss troops, one of only two armies that can combine SHK with shooters and Swiss.

Still, the best army of this overall type appears to be Knights of St. John. You can argue that the knights there are 'worse', but that is not necessarily true. KOSJ shooters are overall organized much better than choices like 100 Years War English or Early Burgundian.

As for wagons, I can't comment much as I don't use them and don't have plans to. I believe they are worth experimenting with as you describe, and we'd all love to hear your results. However, you will likely want to 'mock' them up and not buy/paint miniatures for your first few test battles as such wagons don't have general purposes across a great number of lists, can be expensive, and you may find they don't work out well in practice.

Frank
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: one note, re: wagons

One note, however, if your desire is to 'refuse' an area of frontage, light troops, especially LI in a terrain feature, often are more cost effective than anything else.
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: not enough LI

I agree re LI but unfortunately the Polish only decent LI option appears to be the bowmen/archers and I plan on using all 18E in the open in front of my attack (generally). That still only covers 2 feet or so at 15mm which is probably about right for an attack screen. But anyhow there is not much left for area-denial. ALso, the terrain can not move to keep pace with the attack and also it serves to channel the oppositions best defensive troops (or best counter to my attackers) into the same area of the board.

My hope is that that the fighting Tr, while a bit expensive, will avoid these pitfalls and be able to operate that way without telegraphinh my intention right from the terrain picks. But first I need to figure out a way to permit the army to deal with, or prevent, incindiaries being brought to bear against the Tr.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: valid points

You make absolutely valid points and illustrate clearly the need for playtesting Wink.

I'm opening a small can of worms here, but why do you want to screen your attack with any kind of wide placement of LI? Wink

Especially irregulars...

Frank
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject:

okay, I've tried twice now in the past fifteen minutes, only to have IE7 crash after doing 3-4-5 paragraphs. Not going to keep trying.

Frank, tell me why you would _not_ want a little bit of LI B,Sh out in front of your SHK with good LC on the flanks?
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject:

John Murphy wrote:
okay, I've tried twice now in the past fifteen minutes, only to have IE7 crash after doing 3-4-5 paragraphs. Not going to keep trying.

Frank, tell me why you would _not_ want a little bit of LI B,Sh out in front of your SHK with good LC on the flanks?

18 stands of LI is not a little bit. Your earlier post implied that you had such a dire need for all that LI in the middle that you couldn't spare any to anchor rough terrain on a flank.

I'd think two six stand units of LI would be plenty for the middle of the table, especially if you have LC off to one flank. In fact two such LI units and, say, a 4 stand unit of LC should stretch to cover as much as 25 elements' frontage (though it won't hold that much space for very long).

It all depends on what your battle plan is. Perhaps let's see the whole list? I'm sure Frank will offer some comments as well.

-Mark Stone
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject:

deleted

Last edited by John Murphy on Sun May 27, 2007 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: this is option 2 to fit with the Fighting Tr/CB Tabor wagons

deleted

Last edited by John Murphy on Sun May 27, 2007 1:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject:

note for Scott -
by the way you can see from the above that further errata may be needed to cover the points cost of bowmen upgrade to Reg with _and_ without Sh.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Later Polish

Here's how I'd do Later Polish, with some reasoning:
CinC w/PA in Reg A/B SHK L,Sh
Sub similar
6 Irr B SHK L,Sh
2 units of 6 Irr C HK L,Sh
6 Reg C HK L,Sh
16 Irr C LC CB
12 Irr C LC JLS,B,Sh (these are moldavian/wallachian and the list notes should state that they fight in 1.5 ranks I think, errata?)
3 units of 12 Irr C LI B,Sh/B
8 Reg C LC B (Mongol rules)
2 units of 4 Reg C LC JLS,B,Sh/JLS,B (Mongol rules)
16 Irr C MI 2HCT in 4 Fighting Tr
16 Reg C MI 2HCT in 4 Fighting Tr
this is 16 units in 2 commands with 75 scouting on 1599 pts

This configuration permits you to test out the Wagons and combines a decent combo of LI w/ LC and knight backup. It keeps the morale segregated on the knight units.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: woops

Forgot that the MI 2HCT also have shields...need to come up with the 32 points. Luckily I also made a pointing mistake in the list with the Irr C LC CB unit...drop that unit to 12 figures and add shields to all the MI and it's 1595 pts with two good units with which to test the idea of fighting transports.
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject:

deleted

Last edited by John Murphy on Sun May 27, 2007 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Here is the thing (well, one thing) with these, when I get the rest of my Moldavians done in 25mm (have the figs bagged and ready for maybe a year now, need to save up to send to Sri Lanka without better half noticing) I will already have the Tartars and Lithuanians as well as the foot archers.

So at that point I will only need the Polish knights (42 even including the generals) and 4 stinkin mounted crossbowmen to do this army in 25mm, plus whatever that leftover 43/46 points buys. My real intention as I think it will look fantastic in 25mm.

Then to convince Tim to work in more 25mm events in DC. We did one a while back but mostly the local action is 15mm even though folks have 25mm armies (cause the turkeys all qualify for the NICT by beating me in succession!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: