Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Late Polish list

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Late Polish list

deleted

Last edited by John Murphy on Sun May 27, 2007 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Polish list

John Murphy wrote:
I have tweaked this around and dropped perhaps the final pieces into place. I am starting to have the same real good feeling about this as I did when I first put together my Moldavians. I am fairly certain this is all legal.

I do have some questions and requests for advice on this, following at the end.

1x CinC 2E RegA/C SHK/HK L,Sh (PA-std)
2x Sub 2E RegA/C SHK/HK L,Sh (P-std)
4x 2E IrrB/C SHK/HK L,Sh
1x 2E IrrC LC CB
2x 4E IrrB LC JLS,Sh
2x 4E RegC LC JLS,B,Sh/B (Mongol rules)
2x 4E IrrC LMI JLS,Sh
2x 4E RegC LMI B,Sh/B
1x 10E IrrC LI B,Sh/B

I was going to actually look up the list before posting a reply, but I'm having trouble laying my hands on the army list book, so I'm going to just reply, and if any of my suggestions are at odds with what the list allows, I apologize.

Some general comments, and then on to your particular questions:
    * One unit of LI is not enough. You can get a lot of fairly optimized LI on this list, and you should take advantage of it.
    * Irr C LMI JLS,Sh is a troop type to be avoided. This is essentially the base troop type in Warrior that every list tries to improve away from. These guys could hide in a woods an anchor a flank -- sort of -- but LI could do the same just as well and more cheaply. You make some comments suggesting you see a role for these guys against elephants. Any reasonable elephant player would respond enthusiastically to that approach. I'm guessing you have to take these guys if you want the LMI B guys. Conclusion:
    * Don't take the LMI B guys. They aren't numerous enough to constitute a real shooting threat, and while they can be effective at driving off or shooting off enemy lights, more LI would do that almost as well, would hold a lot more frontage, and wouldn't get you in trouble when it routs.

John Murphy wrote:
Now... questions / request for advice.

1. Is this enough light troops and loose foot to win the lights battle against most opposition and be able to play aggressively with the knights without the nuisance of enemy lights and shooters?

No, it isn't enough lights to accomplish that. LC is vulnerable to shooting, and so you run the risk of having your LC shot off the line against a large enemy LI force, and now your shock troops are exposed. LI is less vulnerable to shooting, and holds more space per points expended than LC. So you need more balance here between LI and LC.

John Murphy wrote:
2. Can this army deal with (a bit of) enemy-placed terrain? Is there (just) enough open and loose foot to at least be able to secure such while I move past if not actually use it to my advantage?

No, this army can't deal with enemy-placed terrain in the sense of driving the enemy out of it. The LMI B guys don't function aggressively in that role, and the LMI JLS,Sh guys have no business getting anywhere near a serious enemy rough terrain unit. You can hold or delay in terrain you occupy adequately, but that's about as much as you can accomplish.

John Murphy wrote:
3. The IrrC JLS,Sh used to be a target in my last army, sometimes useful as such. Here I am presuming it is better to leave the JLS rather than mix in 2HCW since I already have other troops that fill a role more appropriate for the 2HCW guys. JLS is better against elephants and this way they can shoot and skirmish if needed. Is this more or less the way to look at these guys?

See comments above. These guys just suck. Don't buy them unless you absolutely have to.

John Murphy wrote:
4. Enemy big foot units... is there enough combined arms potential here to deal with this?

I'm not sure what sense of combined arms you have in mind. I see one unit type that can possibly challenge big enemy foot units: the knights. I suppose you can use combined arms of mounted and dismounted knights in this context, but it is very hard to set up dismounted knights without telegraphing your intentions, in which case your opponent will just screen you off and fight elsewhere (or bring all his elephants to that particular party and just run you down).

John Murphy wrote:
5. Will it work in 25mm as well as 15mm?

Yes, this should be an army that will work equally well in either scale.

-Mark Stone
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: A/C knights

I would add one other point, otherwise I agree with Mark.

You want at least 2, if not 3, serious units that are entirely of good morale (Irr B or better.)

You've chosen to take your knights as all half C morale. You can't reasonably go to where you are going to suffer waver tests with such units.

Frank
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Late Period Later Polish (NEW - Wrong pt tot in previous)

deleted
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: