Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Numidians

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Garlic
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Numidians

Hi All,

Sorry to keep bugging folks with small questions. I am working on some Numidians and had a couple base painting questions.

First, what do you use as skin tones? I have often seen them painted almost as dark as sub-Saharan Africans. I thought they were darker than cauacasian, but not that dark. Any suggestions on exact paint colours?

Second, what colour do you use for elephants? I just bought my first ever elephant figures. Boy were they a pain - three legged torsos with heads and ears (aieeee) to attach. I base coated them black and was going to use a coat of dark gray and then wash it in black.

Thanks,
John Garlic
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject:

I have Numidians in 25mm. I paint the flesh tones with a darkish tan, then wash a dark brown overtop. It works. Actually, depending on the darkness of the brown wash, you might have to change the tan undertone to something fairly light.

Painting elephants, ah, a favorite subject of mine. I've written on this before but a quick search of the archives didn't reveal anything. And now, without one my my elephants in front of me, I can't remember offhand how I did it.

There's this kneejerk reaction to paint elephants gray. I went to the National Zoo in DC one day just to study elephant "color" (this was back in The Ancient Days before the internets). They're brown dammit. Shocked

I *think* I then painted them a dark brown (I might have even painted their base coat Panzer Gray), the dry brushed a light brown overtop and, in a concession to the popular perception of "how elephants look", mixed in a little light gray dry brushing.

Here's a photo that's a good example:

http://www.iwmc.org/elephant/elephant.htm

Another site with tons of good photos:

http://www.rosswarner.com/elephant.html

That should give you enough to go on.

scott

cloppdave
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Hi John
Dave "The X-Theban" and all around master of disaster here.
As far as Numidians go in 40 years of gameing I just purchased some last week Embarassed so I am going with Scott on that one.
On Elephants depends on scale in 15mm I use a white primer then a light Black wash then I go with dry brushing 2/3 differants browns then light dusty color as there is nothing a small child or Elephant like better than a dust shower/bath.
In 25mm (I have 4 25mm working at this time) I primer Black then work up the brown dry brushing, now for a wet Elephant I wll add a very dark brown Dry brush then brown ink in the areas you would like to show as wet.
Also remember to make to ground wet/muddy on the wet elehants bases.
Dave "The X-Theban" Clopp
Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: X-Thebans

I've responded to this on "history talk" subject list, Dave.
Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject:

See the later hoplite Theban list I posted on the Tactics subforum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: