Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Historicon Reminder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Historicon Reminder

Events and times are at the NASAMW site.

If you're participating in the NICT and haven't submitted your list to me yet, do it now. Deadline is 1 July.

scott

Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Presumably no such advance list requirement in the other events, right Scott? I'll be 15mm theme and 15mm open (easier to carry on the plane). And the same for son John....
scott holder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject:

That is correct, no advance submission of lists for anything except the NICT.

Next week, I'll post something on the game procedures for the 30 minutes less than usual games this year. Ewan and I have worked out some procedures and one of which is you need to have your list right there, ready to go. Make lotsa copies to share with your friends.

scott

John Garlic
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Hey Greek,

Looking forward to seeing you there. Dmitri got to test his wings a bit at Cold Wars and is really looking forward to Historicon. He's actually working on painting his second unit (Numidians) in the 'manly' scale (15mm) Smile Unfortunately, as he reads army list books he is experiencing sensory overload!!!! Kid in a candy store.

He has tried to corrupt other kids his age into playing, but hasn't been able to set the hook - Playstation is too strong.

John Garlic
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject:

Scott must be submerged in work again. A couple of comments on Theme admin/setup.

Theme folks: be prepared to hand me a copy of your list at start of play; you must have a further copy for each game printed in advance. [Feel free to email in advance; two folks have done so, and both were illegal. Much better to find out now Smile]

There will be time limits imposed on the various stages of deployment, and (I hope) visual aids to signify progress through bounds.

Terrain choices will be limited to pieces immediately available to you, so be sure to have those assembled in advance of the play time.

I'll be keeping as close an eye as possible on initial stages of each game. I fear - although it would be nice to be wrong - that at some stage, someone will become the first to empirically prove that there are teeth to the prohibition of overly-slow setup and play; please prove me wrong!

(Of course, if I get to penalise Jon's incendiaries for slow setup, that would be kinda fun... Wink )
Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject:

Roger, Ewan. Just so there are no surprises, please take note that I will have pigs Cool . If I could make up my mind about the last lttle details of my list any time soon, I'd email it to you. Actually, I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to email it to you now and let you critique it Laughing I'd probably be much better off!
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Bill, I look forward to pigs. I even think I have a good handle (ha!) on how they work. Of course, if *Jon* uses pigs, they are aware of his distaste for pork and all casualties and disorders are self-inflicted.

I'm also waiting for the sadly-nonattending Mark and Frank to reveal the glory of their secret weapon for mass domination of the Theme, as promised long ago Wink.

Incidentally, I've had half a dozen lists now, most of which were even legal. Thanks to those folk for not making me check *all* the lists during the 2 hours or so I'll have free during game 1 on Friday Smile.

Lastly, reminders:
* any terrain you want to use must be **in your hands** at the start of terrain placement. So take a moment to think when you see the army matchups, a second moment to gather any pieces, and be prepared.

* if there's a problem at your table with slow play, tell me. I'll come watch/time as needed. Anyone at fault will get one warning (I know, we're too nice) and then a penalty.

* Setup <30 min; I'll be touring during that time. Bound 2 should be starting at or within 60 min. If those times aren't being hit at your table, that'll be one trigger for me to pay close attention.

Ewan, with his ogre-umpire hat on.
joncleaves

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject:

I assume by "Jon" you mean me.

My expendables are bomb-laden oxen...Pigs are for greeks.. If you can't make your buddies see the light, inflict it on them....

I am not playing in the theme. Probably never will with the HCon schedule the way it is.

You'll have to wait to torture me as a judge. You may have a shot in the NICT as a player, but I recommend you bring a wet blanket and a fire extinguisher.....

Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: theme ;)...

Well, sadly neither Mark nor I will be at Historicon, yes...

Ewan mentions secret 'theme' technology...and since neither Mark nor I will be there I'll reveal it here! Wink

There are two lists that can field devestating troops given the theme.

Later Carthaginian, 2nd Punic War, you construct a line out of upgraded spearmen, elephants, and regular spanish infantry (perhaps a couple of Celtiberian units in reserve.) There is little that can withstand the combined arms expression of this rather wide battle line. Not Romans, generally not barbarians, etc. (either charge with elephants first, infantry first, or both combined, depending on the enemy.)

Pyrrhic can field 7 units of HC L utilizing the companion rules. These rout a LOT of Punic War theme infantry at contact (as long as such don't have pike or LTS.) If they don't rout it, but beat it, they use their special rules to break through, order, turn around, and charge disordered infantry in the shieldless rear, routing them then. Good support troops too.

Mark would likely have run the Carthagianians, while I ran the Pyrrhic.

Frank
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject:

joncleaves wrote:
I assume by "Jon" you mean me.

There can be only one...

Quote:
My expendables are bomb-laden oxen...Pigs are for greeks.. If you can't make your buddies see the light, inflict it on them....

I am not playing in the theme. Probably never will with the HCon schedule the way it is.

Because of Flames of War or some such? Or just burnout? I guessed that your expendables would be camel carts, so apparently wrong there - but regardless (and despite what casual readers might guess!) it'll be good to see you.

Quote:
You'll have to wait to torture me as a judge. You may have a shot in the NICT as a player, but I recommend you bring a wet blanket and a fire extinguisher.....

Hmm. Plan A: offer a beer, then knock it over the damn carts. That should put them out Smile. [Despite the mass discussion of such things, I've never faced a flaming expendable nor used one. Nor have I used incendiaries. I'm so innocent... Wink]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: