Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most Used Terrain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Most Used Terrain

NASAMW is taking a long look at providing terrain for use in Warrior and DBM events at the three Big East conventions. The idea is to improve the terrain standard so that it matches the general figure standard we've shown over the last several years.

One reason that out terrain sucks is that we have to travel. As such, making comparisons to other systems in which a local or regional club hauls everything up is unfair. It's hard enough these days to fly with figs much less bring nice looking terrain.

Thus, NASAMW is looking to be that "club". The general idea is that they would provide plenty of the most used, usual pieces. If you use something odd, then it would have to be up to standard. In fact, any of your terrain could be used if it looked good enough.

Three examples of this. Rich Kroupa's terrain is fantastic! Nothing fancy mind you but it looks good and is crafted with Warrior in mind. His hills were great and his major water feature is the standard by which all major water features should be judged. A second example would be the two pieces of woods that Tim Brown brought. These were static pieces in that the trees didn't move which meant players had to take that into account when playing, but they were nice. In either case, if those players had shown up and said "I want to use my woods", I would have had no trouble saying yes. And Bill Chris brought some minor water feature, march concoction that looked great.

The idea is to get rid of felt.

So, now to the crux of this. What are the most often used pieces of terrain? In my world, there are only three:

Major Water feature
Brush
Woods

Anything else? By going thru this exercise, NASAMW can best determine what needs to be purchased that would fit the bulk of players needs, tool it for Warrior standards (in both scales).

And if you know of a vendor that does this kind of stuff, please provide that info here and we'll follow up on it.

scott

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Used Terrain

scott holder wrote:

The idea is to get rid of felt.

So, now to the crux of this. What are the most often used pieces of terrain? In my world, there are only three:

Major Water feature
Brush
Woods

Anything else? By going thru this exercise, NASAMW can best determine what needs to be purchased that would fit the bulk of players needs, tool it for Warrior standards (in both scales).

And if you know of a vendor that does this kind of stuff, please provide that info here and we'll follow up on it.

scott

I'm hugely in favor of getting rid of felt. I banished it from my 25mm terrain mix several years ago, and I've still managed to fly large, fixed, terrain pieces to Lancaster from the West Coast.

Now: I completely disagree with Scott's assessment above. It may reflect what people actually use, but it doesn't reflect, from a proper tactical perspective, what people should be using.

Major Water Feature: Useless. Often taken by people who feel like their army doesn't cover enough frontage and therefore they need to cut down the frontage. The problem is (in 25mm) it only cuts the frontage by 10 elements. If my army is frontage-challenged, I probably need to cut down more than 10 elements. So by picking Major Water Feature I'm automatically saying I need two features to be rolled for successfully and placed where I need them. Not good odds.

Brush: Often used to protect LI and loose order foot, so that these don't have to take a waver for being charged by mounted. The problem is these units are then slowed to 80p approach and evade moves, which means (a) you're advancing too slowly, and (b) you're making it more likely you get caught in an evade. Play aggressively: stay in the open where you get that extra 40p of movement, dare your opponent to make those mounted charges, and set up to make him pay heavily if he doesn't execute those charges perfectly with the right die rolls.

Brush should only be used when you have good rough terrain troops and y our opponent does not, and when you are not outscouted. Then throw the brush on your opponent's side of the table to disrupt his line, and give yourself channels of attack that you can exploit. Ewan did this in textbook fashion in the 2005 Historicon Theme tourney, by the way.

Woods: Often used to narrow the frontage or shore up a flank. The problem: woods is harder to roll for successful placement than some other features, and has a minimum size of 240p, meaning it can often be squeezed out of contention through proper placement of roads and open spaces. It's much better to use a steep hill instead of a road for almost all purposes. Hills can be narrower, and thus fit in more places, and generally are just a more flexible pick than woods.

The only exception is if you really want to try and pull off an ambush, in which case you need something in which your ambushers are not visible. In this one case, woods is your friend.

The only terrain picks I ever make are the following:
* Road
* Open space
* Hill
* Minor Water Feature
* Marsh

Generally if I want to narrow the frontage, I take four hills. In a pinch I can make do with one steep hill in my rear zone. If I can get two steep hills, then I can set up more aggressively. And if I get three of my four hills, I can even make one of them a gentle hill as a "launch platform" for the main attacking part of my army.

I do sometimes experiment with a minor water feature - marsh combination as a way of narrowing the frontage. It is harder to get the needed die rolls to make this work, but if you do get the needed die rolls, you can generally set up a more aggressive position, as opposed to the waiting and counter-punching position you are often saddled with when hiding between your hills.

-Mark Stone
scott holder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Um, Mark, please don't hijack the thread. Smile

This isn't about what people *should* be using, that's a wonderful topic for another thread. This is about what people *do* use and want to use and having that available at the cons.

If you want to start that thread, I'll be more than happy to move your post to it.

And by your post I take it to mean that we should add hills to the list. Wink

scott

jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Terrain used lately in Jacksonville at Steve's Gym

Off the top of my head, in the last few months we (Steve, Derek, Rick, and myself among others) have been using the following:

Woods, usually max sized
Hills, usually steep, rocky, and conical, max sized, sometimes the other extreme at min size
Marsh
Minor water feature once or twice
bog, rocky area (Has different visibility rules than brush)
brush
open space
major water feature (makes a convenient place to keep your fatigue sheet)
Woods on hills
Ditch (temporary fortification)
palisade (temporary fortification)
ditch and stone wall (temporary fortification)

Built over areas, gullies, orchards and vineyards we talk about but never use.

Jamie
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Hills...

Hills Hills Hills...I most frequently roll for hills.

Some gentle, some steep, never rocky...

Some max length but min width, some max size entirely, rarely the smallest hill possible...

It's very tough to have hills at hand that are steep and gentle, and various sizes.

Hills!
Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hills...

Frank Gilson wrote:
Hills Hills Hills...I most frequently roll for hills.

Some gentle, some steep, never rocky...

Indeed. I believe that one can only get a rocky hill by first rolling for a steep or gentle one and then using up another terrain pick by rolling to superimpose a rocky ground on it.

To summarize this thread thus far, I think Scott's got the top three picks right. Hills are common enough and so difficult to produce well (so troops don't slip around, you can tell where crests are, etc.), that they should be added to the list if economically feasible. My next choice would be minor water/marsh, followed by major water. My minor water/marsh was simply purchased in the dealer area at H'Con two years ago, and it is very nice-made of latex and painted and flocked, replete with matching bridge to use as "ford." The river comes in segments and is the right size for 15mm and will extend over 6 ft. Major water features, which I never use, are evidently used by players who desire not to reduce table width per Mark's comment, but rather to prevent a flank march on that flank (although I'll wager very few people think of boats here, either as a reason to doubt the efficacy of this tactic or as a way to defeat it).

Anyway just my two cents. I find I am shamelessly trolling the forum here as a way of prolonging the experience of H'con. Can't wait for Mark's/Ewan's list analysis Twisted Evil

Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject:

Hills indeed. And road(s).

I almost never place aggressive terrain that is not a hill; I often place defensive hills, or use them - as Mark notes - to cut down frontage.

Never woods. Rarely brush; the Theme in '05 (where I specifically took a terrain-friendly army) was an odd exception. Never any form of water. Just hills and roads.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Hills

Did I say hills earlier?

Yup...

Hills...

They're tricky though...sometimes I place one that is only partially steep, along 1/2 the frontage...or the steep portion may only be 80p deep, etc.

Also, I rarely place circular features as such don't work well for troop placement given our troops are in rectangular units...

Hills please...
Tim Grimmett
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject:

Major Water Feature

Marsh

Woods

John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject:

I have to just say here that felt is not the worst thing in terrain.
I have some cheapo hills from a set. The angle along the edge of the hill is extreme so troops do not stay where they belong when placed along it. And the fact that it looks like a plateau with no elevation features except a incline along the edge makes it look, in my opinion, no better than felt which would at least have the benefit of being practical.

So, my point is, if you are going to have NASAMW buy terrain to use in Lancaster I would hope it would be stuff that is not just a different kind of bad terrain just because it is not felt. So the statement "the main idea is to get rid of felt" disturbs me. Because I've owned and played on plenty of terrainthat was not felt but was still junk and possibly worse than felt.

Oh - Open, Minor Water, Major Water, Woods, Road, Hills, Marsh (obviously not all of those at once, or even for the same army)
I see a lot of other players use Brush but I do not myself
Bogs and BUA's would be nice to see more of but hardly ever. Must be something in the rules that discourages BUA's in the optimizing mindset.

Last edited by John Murphy on Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:04 am; edited 2 times in total
scott holder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Um, John, where did the perception "perenially cheap" come from? Are you a member? I don't believe so.

NASAMW just spent over $1000 on custom dice and a nifty playing aid for both 15mm and 25mm. This is not an organization awash in cash but is taking some steps to do more. Remember, it's a small, all volunteer organization. Should you feel it needs better leadership or take a different approach in doing things, I'd urge you to join and run for office to affect such change.

scott

John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject:

sorry, retracted, my bad. not intended to slam on the leadership or membership, shame on me, in fact the volunteerism and enthusiasm is what keeps it going.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: