Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

List Commentary "commentary"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> List Lore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickster61
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: List scrutiny

Getting back to the list scrutiny thing. Before coming to Historicon this year, I was planning on running Tartessian Spanish, but had a problem getting the lead. So, I started looking for an alternative army to run. I settled on Early Hoplite Greek (Bosporan). It worked for my style of play, it had the best cavalry of all the lists (Skythian), and it seemed like a fun list. Thanks to this research, and a little luck, I placed second in the Theme tournament. So, I agree with the previous statements that you need to find an army that you like that works to your play style.

As far as the Great Saxon experiment goes, I made a deal with Robert Turnbull at Hurricon, and am going to be getting some Sassanid Persians some time in the future. Hmm...SHC vs Saxons.... Very Happy

Rick
derekcus
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Poor helpless Saxons !!!

Here is another guy planning to run over the poor Saxons with SHC units. Maybe I shouldn't have announced what I was running so far ahead of time. Now everyone has time to pick the army and troops types to run over Saxons. Wait doesn't everything beat MI JLS SH ?

Back to the play style thing. Over the years I have found it advantageous to play a certain troop type in any kind of list over and over until you understand it. Once done, do that with another type. Do this until you nderstand all the different play styles and army types. Then tournament gaming is easier and play speed increases.

The coolest thing to be it that there are so many lists and rules you really never do this. Someone is always coning up with a little different style or tactic to keep things fun.

Derekcus
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Sample Early Saxon list

I tried to come up with a decent list without the welsh ally.

171 CnC, PA, IB HI JLS Sh, 1 IB HI JLS Sh, mounted
216 Sub, P, IB HI HTW JLS Sh, 5 IB HI HTW JLS Sh
216 Sub, P, IB HI HTW JLS Sh, 5 IB HI HTW JLS Sh
233 12 IB 2HI/10MI JLS Sh
125 1 IC, 11 ID MI JLS Sh
49 4 IC LI JLS Sh
49 4 IC LI JLS Sh
49 4 IC LI JLS Sh
57 8 IC LI B
57 8 IC LI B

1597 points, 13 big units, and 16 scouting points.

Throw terrain to clutter the flanks, open areas in the center, force march some or all of the cheaper foot units. Support the cheap foot with subs, CinC as a reserve. Not very flexible as an army and somewhat vulnerable to flank marches. The barbarian foot rules would help some but it's easy to stay out of the charge range of the foot blocks.

Jamie
Rickster61
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: DerekCon

Derek,

You know I was thinking of running the Sassanids before I found out that you were running Saxons. You called me, to find out what army I was running, and when I said Sassanids, you said you were running Spartans, and wanted to have a civil war with my Bosporans. So, you changed your mind AFTER knowing what army I was running. (Thanks, Ewan, for providing a distraction for me Smile ).

Rick
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject:

You're welcome Wink. Let me know how your list comes out.
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: The Pledge!

Here you go!

I, (repeat your name here), pledge not to run over Early Saxon with Super Heavy Cataphracts or Knights. That would be unsporting in the next Derekcon. However, I do pledge to run over Early Saxon with Heavy Knights, Heavy Chariots, Light Chariots, Elephants, Extra Heavy Calvary, Heavy Calvary, Medium Calvary, Light Calvary, Heavy Camels, Medium Camels, Legionaires, Auxilia, Peltasts, Spartans, Hoplites, Immortals, Bonnachts, Galloglaich, Kerns, longbowmen, archers, samurai, bolt throwers, stone throwing engines, levied peasant mobs, syphoneers, Konstatoi, bukarelli, foederati, numeri, Eagle knights, Auracanian seal warriors, Aquaconians, pikemen, handgunners, pertardiers, hastati, velites, and triarri. I also understand that I will get bonus points for style if I use a borrowed army of Derek's such as Sea Peoples, Khmer, Early Burgundian, Early Imperial Roman, late imperial roman, 100 Years War, War of the roses, Berber, Turks, Otts,Han chinese, etc.

Aren't friends grand!

Jamie
Siward
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Pledge!

jamiepwhite wrote:
Here you go!

I, (repeat your name here), pledge not to run over Early Saxon with Super Heavy Cataphracts or Knights. That would be unsporting in the next Derekcon. However, I do pledge to run over Early Saxon with Heavy Knights, Heavy Chariots, Light Chariots, Elephants, Extra Heavy Calvary, Heavy Calvary, Medium Calvary, Light Calvary, Heavy Camels, Medium Camels, Legionaires, Auxilia, Peltasts, Spartans, Hoplites, Immortals, Bonnachts, Galloglaich, Kerns, longbowmen, archers, samurai, bolt throwers, stone throwing engines, levied peasant mobs, syphoneers, Konstatoi, bukarelli, foederati, numeri, Eagle knights, Auracanian seal warriors, Aquaconians, pikemen, handgunners, pertardiers, hastati, velites, and triarri. I also understand that I will get bonus points for style if I use a borrowed army of Derek's such as Sea Peoples, Khmer, Early Burgundian, Early Imperial Roman, late imperial roman, 100 Years War, War of the roses, Berber, Turks, Otts,Han chinese, etc.

Aren't friends grand!

Jamie

All very true. I ran Anglo-Danish ( or close variants ) for 3 years after Warrior came out. I consider myself a reasonable middle of the pack player. However, fighting 1.5 rank Lance armed cavalry plus the onset of Classical list rules made it a pointless exercise. I have gone to the dark side now and am using Early Burgundian or HYWE. Hence my gaming experience has improved Smile

Cheers........Geoff
Martin Williams
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the mention siwardrocks.
I certainly enjoyed the mass slaughter of both sides against the early burgundian.
With regards to winning a comp with Later Hoplites I should probably point out this was a 1300 point comp on 6 by 4 tables (which quite suits the hoplites) and I had the more than occasional assist from my opponents dice.
That said, I ran the army as Thessalian and took all 18 elements of Iphicratians (my new favourite troop type, just like a hypaspist only cheaper). My thinking was that Hoplites often loose through immobility. Their opponents find it easy to isolate a couple of units and destroy them. My aim was to get as many units of hoplites in to combat as possible. In all 6 rounds of the comp virtually all my hoplite units fought.

My list was something like

4 units of 2el RB HC, Jls (2 with gen)
3 units of 2el RC LC, jls
2 units of 8 el RC 1/2 HI 1/2MI, Lts, sh
3 units of 6 el RC LMI, Lts, sh
4 units of 4 el RC LI, Jls, sh

I fought byzantine, sassanid, kushan, 10 IS chinese, medieval spanish and early burgundian. I found the effective and numerous LI gave me an effective enough screen to allow the fast moving Iphicratians to force my opponents in to combat. The Thessalian HC may not punch out much frontally but made it difficult for people to skirmish in front of the hoplites. I flank marched 2 of the 3 LC units every game with varying success. They generally caused inconvenience for my opponents even if they died. I enjoyed the comp a great deal. Our next comp here in OZ is 1200 15mm on 4 by 3. I plan to run shang chinese (I am a long time chariot lover)

Martin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> List Lore All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: