Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An AAR from Derekcon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> List Lore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd Schneider
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: An AAR from Derekcon

Derek,

Are you going to do an AAR about the Early Saxons performance at Derekcon?

Thanks,
Todd

derekcus
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Early Saxons

Well let me tell you....... Early Saxons is not one of my favorite armies to run.

First game was against Joan and the Medieval French. Will had half his army as the Scotish foot and some screen for a pile of knights. He set up right. Scots on the right. Screen on the left with his knights behind. Well the game starts and he sends his knights around behind his Scot LTS units. ????? Mounted infrantry supported kill his crap support troops. Then I engage the LTS. The knights go in piecemeal. Kill one knight and the French are now under retirement because of all the dead support units.

The Scot kill my far right unit with a large up roll and then are swarmed when the knights leave. 5 -2 win

Game 2 was against the boastful Late Romans and Jamie. "Finally someone in my garage worth killing." Auxilaries on the right legions on the left. I went after the legions because I have hard hitting slow moving foot as well. He sent a LC unit to kill one of my LI. I routed it back and a legion shook. After alot of combat on his left legions fianlly rout away.

All the while the auxilia slowly kill a couple of large units on my left. We then regroup and come at each other again lining up short way across the table. The Romans have no generals left so die soon after. 19 game turns later the game is over with a 5 - 3 win.

Game 3 was against the Welsh. I thought this was going to be my best game. Screaming loose barbarians. I play a great game get off impetuous charges against everything. Send routers back through the Welsh time and again and noone cares. Hours of waivers and still nothing. Then my left dies after killing one whole unit.

I do manage to destroy his waiver proof left flank and then my army goes into retirement. 3 - 5 loss.

The mounted infrantry remained mounted and I used them as very poor cav. But that was all that was needed in most combats. The key is to get the large units to charge impetuous so they can wear people down. While trying to flank pop with the smaller units.

Won't be running them again anytime soon . DEREKCUS
Todd Schneider
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Derek.

Todd

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject:

For those who haven't seen the full results from this latest Derekcon:
Quote:

Derekcon 44 1600 point Warrior

1st Derek Downs Early Saxon
2nd Joe Serafini Norman Conquest Welsh
3rd Jamie White Late Imperial Roman
4th Steve Rawls Han Chinese
5th Rick Parrish Sassanid Persian
6th Will Richardson Feudal French
7th Jamie Gentry Scot's Common Army
8th Rob Richardson Inca
9th Chris Richardson Feudal Japanese
10th Phil Williams Khmer
11th Ty Downs Late Imperial Roman
12th Josh Johnson Khmer
13th Rob Adams Knights of St Johns
14th Howard Adams Late Imperial Roman
15th Dennis Faye Early Achaemenid Persian
16th Robert Bauer Late Imperial Roman
17th John Groff Later Hoplite
18th Greg Croyle Later Palaeologan Byzantine
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Did you use the Barbarian Playtest Rules?
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Did you use the Barbarian Playtest Rules?

Derek was using some rule that counted extra figs in the back rank while charging, they didn't seem to matter much. Either the barbarian unit was going to win anyway and the extra figs fighting were just icing on the cake, or I caught them at the halt and was pushing them backwards. The big bands of close order javelinmen did win faster from the rules, but the units were kind of fragile when hit by equal numbers of regular foot.

Jamie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> List Lore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: