Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mongols

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Mongols

I'm going to list a particular version of Mongols here. It's a list that has been played in the NICT a few times now, and I have a particular viewpoint on it.

It has several virtues:
Remove enemy terrain if you double someone's scouting points.
Much more likely to get flank marches to arrive.
Special Mongol cavalry rules.
Highly maneuverable with as much good morale as you'd like.

It has some negatives:
If the opponent does get some terrain, you don't deal with it very well.
You don't hit anything particularly hard (other than enemy LI.)

So, how can I make sure I handle the terrain the opponent 'does' get? How can I really extend their line and hit flanks and hinges?

I think I need the Mongol army to have some LI at least, and perhaps some loose order infantry. I think I need it to have enough scouting points to double almost any other opponent, and outscout most opponents.

That leads me to the following list:
2E CinC w/PA & Reg A/B HC/MC L,B,Sh/L,B 185
2E Sub w/P & Reg A HC L,B,Sh 130
4 units of 3E Reg B LC JLS,B,Sh/JLS,B/B 256
2 units of 6E Reg C LC B 164
4E Reg C HC/MC L,B,Sh/L,B 130

2E Turkish Sub w/P & Irr B HC/MC L,B,Sh/L,B 93
2 units of 9E Irr C LC B 194
2 units of 7E Irr C LC B 162

2E Chinese Sub w/P & Reg B EHC L,B,Sh &
Reg B HC L,B 123
2 units of 4E Reg D LMI B,Sh/B 100
2 units of 4E Reg D LI B,Sh/B 60 = 1597
19 units, 4 commands, 184 scouting

Here I get my LI and LMI from the Chinese command. This allows me to pressure at least one enemy terrain pick with substantial shooting and multiple units.

184 scouting (courtesy mainly of the Turkish command) doubles customarily all but two of the opponents you would face in an NICT (the other Mongol players), and outscouts all but 4 or 5.

It uses 3E force marched Reg LC units instead of 2E to throw off enemy prep shooting math.

The purpose is not to frontally challenge the enemy army, or to dismount masses of Mongol loose cav to shoot and fight, but to pin, then finesse onto flanks, as well as destroy as much enemy LI and LC as possible.

Frank
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mongols

Frank Gilson wrote:

2E CinC w/PA & Reg A/B HC/MC L,B,Sh/L,B 185
2E Sub w/P & Reg A HC L,B,Sh 130
4 units of 3E Reg B LC JLS,B,Sh/JLS,B/B 256
2 units of 6E Reg C LC B 164
4E Reg C HC/MC L,B,Sh/L,B 130

2E Turkish Sub w/P & Irr B HC/MC L,B,Sh/L,B 93
2 units of 9E Irr C LC B 194
2 units of 7E Irr C LC B 162

2E Chinese Sub w/P & Reg B EHC L,B,Sh &
Reg B HC L,B 123
2 units of 4E Reg D LMI B,Sh/B 100
2 units of 4E Reg D LI B,Sh/B 60 = 1597
19 units, 4 commands, 184 scouting

A few comments on this.

It bears the distinctive fingerprint of a Frank Gilson list, in this case the odd unit sizes (3 el, 9 el, 7 el) for most of the LC. That's worth considering here, especially with the irreg LC as it throws the opponent completely off the usual ratios of casualties to figures.

I also think heavy use of the Turkish LC is a necessary part of the Mongol strategy. Alex and I got a real lesson against the Skythians at Cold Wars where, despite all the finesse our troops were capable of, we were simply swarmed by superior numbers of cheaper troops. If you mix your small units of regular Mongol LC next to larger units of Turkish LC, you should be able to:
* Put out more overall shooting than enemy lights;
* Split fire away from your Mongol LC;
* Use your Mongol LC to charge off enemy LC so that your Turkish LC don't get charged by enemy lights.

The Chinese command is also a really necessary component in my view. Having your skirmish line be composed entirely of LC is too expensive; even a couple of small LI units really help. And the Chinese LMI are dramatically cheaper dense shooting than dismounted Mongol HC/MC.

Frank's goal of doubling everyone on scouting points to benefit from the Mongol terrain rules is probably overly aggressive. I think it's worth giving up a little bit of LC to buy some light camels and then also camel-proof some accompanying cav units. Yes, it is hard to coordinate the camels with the cav given the discrepancy in tactical move distance. But the camels really enable you to be all out aggressive against any enemy mounted, and the Mongols need as many creative ways to be aggressive as possible.

The list above still has shortcomings. It won't do particularly well against 10 Independent States, which can cover board edge to board edge with 4-to-a-stand shooters and not have to worry about being outflanked. It won't do particularly well against Khmer, who can get enough elephants to provide protection for their non-elephant troops across the entire line. And it won't do particularly well against pike/elephant armies taken to emphasize pike and maximize frontage covered (look, for example, at Rich Kroupa's Alexandrian Imperial list from the 2006 NICT).

So I don't think this approach moves the Mongols into the "A" list crowd. But it is probably the approach that squeezes the most you can get out of the Mongols.

-Mark Stone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: