Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few more questions (manoeuvring, orb and gaps)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: A few more questions (manoeuvring, orb and gaps)

Hello,

Firstly, apologies for my rash of posts recently, but I am currently hors de combat, so can only read, plan and train (scheme)!

So, assuming a body of 8E Reg C MI 1/2 P Pa, 1/2 P (my trusty Sumerians again)

1) If they are in a column and wheel 45 degrees there is never any 'bend' allowed in the formation. The body both starts and ends its movement as per example 6-40 (P59) and must be clear of other troops and any impassable terrain at the end of its movement?

Taking Example 6-45 on P63:

If the gap were three elements wide, they could have the remaing two elements in the rear rank 'for the time they are in the gap only'. As the rule says this is intended for bodies to move to a position beyond the gap;

2A) When does the body count as clear of the gap?

2B) Can they voluntarily halt in the gap?

3) Assuming they move beyond the gap, they must use a manoeuvre to reform into a legal block?

4) Is each of their two allowed manoeuvres a separate act, so that if they expand from column it takes both? (that is 1x8 to 2x4, then to 4x2).

If the worst comes to the worst and they have to form orb.

The description of Orb (P60) is that it must be 'at least as many elements deep as it is wide and no more than three ranks deeper'. Is that [ranks] deeper than it is [elements] wide, so that a 10E body 2wide and 5 deep can form orb?

5) As they are 1/2 Pavise, do they count this as all round against any shooting?

If an orb is contacted on opposite 'sides';

6A) How is its facing for recoil purposes decided?

6B) Is its new facing determined as per 6.121 (P37) except for the fact that it retains its original frontage?

6C) In this situation is it then counted as contacted to both front and rear?

Finally, in future revisions, could the Note tucked away at the bottom of the example on P60 also be incorporated into the main body of the text?

Thanks, Steve
joncleaves

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Steve, I am going to answer the ton of questions you asked today. If this pace gets difficualt to sustain, however, you may have to wait more than a day for answers. There is a difference between answering a couple rules questions generated by two players having a question arising out of a game they actually played and someone thinking out loud as they skim through the rulebook.

[[1) If they are in a column and wheel 45 degrees there is never any 'bend' allowed in the formation. The body both starts and ends its movement as per example 6-40 (P59) and must be clear of other troops and any impassable terrain at the end of its movement? ]]

That statement seems correct, but cannot really tell what you're asking.

[[Taking Example 6-45 on P63:

If the gap were three elements wide, they could have the remaing two elements in the rear rank 'for the time they are in the gap only'. As the rule says this is intended for bodies to move to a position beyond the gap;

2A) When does the body count as clear of the gap? ]]

When the gap no longer impacts on the movement or formation of the body.

[[2B) Can they voluntarily halt in the gap? ]]

Sure.

[[3) Assuming they move beyond the gap, they must use a manoeuvre to reform into a legal block? ]]

Yes.

[[4) Is each of their two allowed manoeuvres a separate act, so that if they expand from column it takes both? (that is 1x8 to 2x4, then to 4x2). ]]

An single expansion in frontage can increase the frontage by two elements. To get from 1 wide to four wide would therefore take two such maneuvers, yes.

[[The description of Orb (P60) is that it must be 'at least as many elements deep as it is wide and no more than three ranks deeper'. Is that [ranks] deeper than it is [elements] wide, so that a 10E body 2wide and 5 deep can form orb? ]]

A 10E body can be 2x5 and in Orb.

[[5) As they are 1/2 Pavise, do they count this as all round against any shooting? ]]

The elements that have pavise have pavise and those that do not, do not. Its possible for parts of the Orb to be paviseless and be shot at that way.

[[If an orb is contacted on opposite 'sides';

6A) How is its facing for recoil purposes decided? ]]

If it cannot recoil, it cannot, just like any other body.

[[6B) Is its new facing determined as per 6.121 (P37) except for the fact that it retains its original frontage? ]]

No, if contacted on opposite sides, it cannot recoil and is disordered.

[[6C) In this situation is it then counted as contacted to both front and rear? ]]

No, as it has no front and rear and does not form block as it cannot recoil.

Steve
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Sincerest apologies

Jon,

Firstly, apologies for my many questions. I admit most of them aren't truly game based. I am bringing two brand new armies (Sumerians and Elamites) to completion, and as they get bigger I have started to try out various deployments, matchups, tactics, counters etc. which is where and when my questions arise.

I am honestly not just skimming the rule book. My problem is, if I don't understand something the questions just seem to mushroom (the series on Orb being a case in point). If I had just grasped the simple, single fact that an Orb contacted on both sides obviously isn't required to recoil and must just get 'squashed' the other questions were irrelevant.

I am hoping to use the game to introduce two new players to the rules, so was trying to get my thinking straight but just ended up more muddled.

I know as with many things in life, I should just return to first principles and work it out myself, but it's often so much easier to post than to ponder.

Thanks for your patience, Steve Embarassed
joncleaves

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Once again, Steve, its ok to ask a ton of questions. Its just that it might take me longer than a day to get to them all.

J

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: