Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OMM October 2007 15mm Open

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis Shorthouse
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: OMM October 2007 15mm Open

Here are the results:

1.Ewan McNay - Romano-British
2.Lou Cardinale - Mithradatic
3.Bill Low - Inca
4.Fred Stratton - Kushan Late Period
5.Ed Bernhard - Boran Norse-Irish
6.Phil Gardocki - Palmyran
7.Mark Cribbs - Early German
8.Jim Bisignani - Late Hopolite

Ewan and Lou played for first place in the last round. Lou, 1987 NICT Champ who has recently returned to playing Warrior, put up a good fight but the crafty Ewan prevailed in the end.
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: WAAAAAY off-topic

It just struck me that 'Bill Low - Inca' is probably a candidate for shortest name-armyname length.

Told you it was off-topic.
Martin Williams
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Wow you guys were surprised later hoplite won a comp when you've had a comp won by Romano British. Armies dont get much worse than that outside of biblical warrior.

Martin
Martin Williams
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Wow you guys were surprised later hoplite won a comp when you've had a comp won by Romano British. Armies dont get much worse than that outside of biblical warrior.

Martin
derekcus
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Romano Brit

I love this army. Especailly with the barbarian rules. Large cheap barbarian units. MI LTS units. Tons of cheap loose troops. Heavy and light cav. Two great shock cav units.

Wait this looks like a balanced troop list. This is a much easier army for me to run than Later Hoplite and get results. For the average player it is also an army that can get results very fast as well. Bad ones! Ewan is a pretty good player though.

Derek
derekcus
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Romano Brit

I love this army. Especailly with the barbarian rules. Large cheap barbarian units. MI LTS units. Tons of cheap loose troops. Heavy and light cav. Two great shock cav units.

Wait this looks like a balanced troop list. This is a much easier army for me to run than Later Hoplite and get results. For the average player it is also an army that can get results very fast as well. Bad ones! Ewan is a pretty good player though.

Derek
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject:

See my writeup elsewhere; I didn't take any large barbarian units - that would be viable, but not my thing - nor any LTS, ditto. But the Saxons are potent if handled carefully, and the army is *cheap*!
derekcus
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Romano's

Well there it is again. Two differing views of the same list. Both work well and both have won recent tournaments. Warrior is all about getting the match ups you want and getting the most out of every unit in your army.

Steve (The Oracle) said to me last week that there are people posting on this forum that write off entire armies because of one required unit that in their opinion is useless. Every unit has a use. All troops do something well. You just need to figure out what that is.

Markowitz and myself both ran Early Burgundians this year n the NICT. That list has required units that are Organ Guns and HC CB IC no shield.
I have had the HC unit rout or shake something every game I have ever played with the Early Burgundians. The Organ Guns are a good defensive unit and I did not get too much out of them, mainly because I play aggressively.

Just a word of advice to the new guys and anyone that wants to play better. Practice as much as possible with as many different armies and units.
Martin Williams
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: bad armies

I remain unconvinced of the merits of this army. It would have to be the worst army I've ever heard of winning an open comp (no matter how small). All the more glory for the victor!! I won an open comp once with Early Achaemenid Persian but compared to Romano British the Persians are an optimisers dream list.

This could be an interesting thred in itself. What is the worst list to ever win a comp? More generally what is the worst list to ever appear in a comp?

Martin
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject:

All true. The (long) AAR seems to have been eaten by the forum; short version is:

1. Hoplites - Saxons do well here, but better was an optimal flank march which pinned some Thracians for Arthur to hit their shieldless flank!

2. Inca - very very tricky. Cause a couple of waver checks for cav charging skirmishing LMI, all passed; then Incas shoot up (rolling +3 to do 4 cpf -oops!) and charge a small Saxon unit which fails both wavers for subsequent disorder, but the Inca unit is hit by more Saxons in the flank and Arthur on the overlapping front and also routs; I pass my wavers and the Incas don't. Pretty lucky win.

3. Mithridatic - Rhoxolani ride down the Saxon general when they roll +4 on contact, but Saxons rout off the brazen shields while LMI B shoot up LC and the HC subgeneral; together with the loss of LI and a peltast unit, the small Mithridatic commands started going home.

I was lucky not to face heavier strike cav, probably, and should have placed more terrain to give the LMI JLS, Sh something to do- -they played essentially no role in the tournament.
Steve
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Ewan McNay wrote:
All true. The (long) AAR seems to have been eaten by the forum; short version is:

I was lucky not to face heavier strike cav, probably, and should have placed more terrain to give the LMI JLS, Sh something to do- -they played essentially no role in the tournament.

Hmm.. so not only did you win, but you did it using only half your army ? Smile Mind you I do believe that Arthur had a pretty good sidearm Wink

So, congratulations all round, and obviously off to Valhalla, or whatever the Romano-British equivalent is.

Steve
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Steve wrote:
So, congratulations all round, and obviously off to Valhalla, or whatever the Romano-British equivalent is.

Steve

Avalon, obviously. Smile

-Mark Stone
Steve
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject:

[/quote]

Avalon, obviously. Smile

-Mark Stone[/quote]

Of course. Though it might have been quite interesting if he had turned up at the gates of Valhalla Exclamation

Intriguingly, Avalon has its own website Laughing

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: