Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re Posting from Seleucids topic - Carthaginian elphants in I

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tibor
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re Posting from Seleucids topic - Carthaginian elphants in I

Hannibal in Italy

Am reposting from the discussion on Seleucids posts as the topic has crossed into another area.

>Even if we use a scale of just 4 elephants per figure, that gives too many elephants for what actually survived into Italy (27!)

>There is an excellent discussion of the trials and tribulations of Hannibal crossing the alps at http://www.livius.org/ha-hd/hannibal/alps.html

>So - is there a case for errata on the number of elephants Hannibal used in Italy?

Tibor

Steve
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject:

FWIW, here is my amateurs contribution to the topic.

The only book I have on the subject which is Head's ' Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars' gives a figure of 37 at the Trebia in 218 B.C.

Only 10 for Hasdrubal at the Metaurus in 207 B.C.

and they get no mention at all for Cannae or his other battles.

As a model elephant only represents up to 25, with the first element being as little as 4 you could perhaps make a claim for them to total only 12 elephants Smile

I think what you also have to factor in is their psychological effect, particularly against an opponent that hated facing them, how far you could effectively spread even 27 Elephants, and A) do they have the correct impact in period for this particular army against its principal opponents and B) serve to counterbalance all those Roman List rules! Wink

Steve
Tibor
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Steve Posted:
The only book I have on the subject which is Head's ' Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars' gives a figure of 37 at the Trebia in 218 B.C.

Only 10 for Hasdrubal at the Metaurus in 207 B.C.

and they get no mention at all for Cannae or his other battles.

As a model elephant only represents up to 25, with the first element being as little as 4 you could perhaps make a claim for them to total only 12 elephants

I think what you also have to factor in is their psychological effect, particularly against an opponent that hated facing them, how far you could effectively spread even 27 Elephants, and A) do they have the correct impact in period for this particular army against its principal opponents and B) serve to counterbalance all those Roman List rules!

Dear Steve

I agree with you on all points to some extent - trying to factor in the psychological effect is VERY difficult. My point, as you noted already is that the elephants were very famous but their physical exploits are few and the largest battles do not feature them at all.

The main psychological effect, and it is apparent in the sources, is the Roman fear of Hannibal. His elephants featured as an example of his daring, his almost inhuman craftiness (I am sort of giving the Roman style view) and his danger to Rome etc.

His elephants also seemed to operate as a basically single cohesive group - Warrior allows them 2E units so the elephants can be spread out across a battle line that stretches for a couple of miles or more - that is elephants all over the battle line - that's where this discussion started - the Carthaginians being an A grade army because of all the elephants and that's where I started thinking about why that should be the case.

I like the army (although haven't used it at all) and think it's highly competitive. But does the large number of elephants give the right feel for the history?

I am being totally theoretical here and will end postings as it's not really imperative to answer one way or the other - just interesting discussion around a cold glass of something or other!

Tibor[/quote]

Steve
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject:

Hello Tibor,

Some very interesting points, particularly those concerning ground scale and the Hannibal factor. Spreading them all across the line would certainly act as a brake on the Roman desire to close with his HI, so perhaps it physically needs that number of models present to equate to the powerful morale factor they actually had.

Hannibal's presence does certainly serve to boost his army, however, I note that the Roman reaction to elephants when facing them some sixty
years earlier against Pyrrhos was quite marked, almost desparate, with their hasty adoption of 300+ 'gimmicky' anti-elephant wagons and flaming pigs, so they obviously viewed them as a very serious threat and he reputedly had only 19 at Asculum. Not even as many as Hannibal.

And Hannibal himself saw them as an important enough part of his army to literally move mountains to get them across the Alps into Italy.

Throughout history, there has always been a Human tendency to attribute defeat to an enemy super-weapon, regardless of the numbers actually used. Then begins the slow erosion of morale, and you begin to see 100's of them, everywhere! I.E. Cossacks! in 1812, the initial German reaction to 'all those' KV1 and T34 tanks and the sheer number of Tigers and 88's deployed in Normandy. Discipline, training, the flexibility of their system and sheer naked courage allowed the Romans to bounce back.

Also, to a great degree, we as wargamers are conditioned by a level of experience that the men on the ground didn't have. I have never had to physically face one even once with just a 'little pointy stick'. To face their lead equivalents the number of times some wargamers have is more than the sum of most ancient armies experience (and I know that no matter how many there are, they can't really hurt me, so I can freely adopt ahistorical tactics. Hence the 'unease' rules for facing them never wear off, ever. Crying or Very sad

However, at the end of the day it's down to personal choice and skill. I could quite easily use 9 Burmese elephants and lose to a player who had 1, or even less. Embarassed

I too will end this post, as it's all pure supposition on my part. Suffice it to say, that even in Fast Warrior, Elephants are included in List 70 but not in List 66. In a 1600pt army, 9 Elephants is a big slice of the military budget.

And throught the many years I have been a wargamer, there have always been disagreements over how many elephants a Carthaginian army List should have, particularly if you have to face 9 of them Wink

To Plagiarise ever so slightly, 'Roll down and Lose You cheating .... , because I know that your army has far too many ..... '

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: