Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice/Feedback Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Advice/Feedback Please

Hello All,

Having finally found, hopefully the right home for this;

It relates to an elephantine maneuver described originally in the rules section regarding Historicon (for which hit search, bogus meter, historicon rules questions) which is why I posted it there. I apologise for bringing it up again, in yet another section, I'm only asking for advice regarding my possible interpretation of the rules...

I know it's a little late, and hopefully this has all been amicably resolved, but f.w.i.w. here is how I would resolve it.

The elephants don't just 'swing back' into column, they have performed a change in frontage (6.123 P38). This means that the front rank does not move in any way.

Being Irregular and having performed a maneuver they are now limited to 40p of movement.

A counter allows only units in/or entering skirmish to move to their rear (6.14 P40), otherwise tactical movement must be straight ahead (6.111 P36). [or include a wheel]

Therefore, the elephants must use their remaining movement to advance clear of the light infanty. If they cannot do this without contravening the 240p distance they must maintain from any known enemy while countering then the whole move is invalid.

This is my reasoning behind it; Certain aspects of Warrior go on beneath the surface and are not micro-managed. This includes the mechanics of maneuvering which don't compel the player to measure the distance moved for each and every element individually.

The area covered by an element is 'notional' in that it is not considered to be full of men or animals who have no room to move, particularly if you read the historical note on P2 which allows an elephant element to consist of as little as four real elephants.

Thus, the seeming 'overlap' of elephants and LI halfway through the move is irrelevant as long as it is resolved by the end of the elephants movement.

This hopefully is more in line with the paragraph on P36 concerning 'The impact of other bodies and terrain on a body's ability to wheel etc.' which ends with the proviso that 'a body must be clear of adjacent bodies when any move is completed.'

Apologies to all if my interpretation is totally wrong, but I have seen so many games ruined by rules being stretched to the limit that I thought I would throw in my opinion because the thought that elephants can somehow be sucked backwards through a LI 'wormhole' does indeed rattle the bogus meter.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: