Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dark Age Warrior List Rule Ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adrian Williams
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Allow more mixing of troops in the Anglo-Danish army
Martin Williams
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: dark age

1) I'm not sure any sort of lance armed cav needs any help, Norman or not.

2)The JLS armed can are perhaps more entitled to feel hard done by. Mayble let some 3 to a base jls armed cav fight 1 1/3 ranks. This way they would still loose to lancers but be in less danger of an immediate break

3) On the viking/saxon front how about something for housecarles/hirdsman accompanied by a general. The whole hero ethos/never survive your master thing. Maybe such units never waver, or add +1 even to positive dice results or some such. Wont help the armies much but adds a bit of colour and encourages players to have the generals in the main line leading large warbands

Martin
Adrian Williams
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject:

Surely you mean lose not loose Martin! And you an English teacher
Todd Schneider
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject:

It seems odd that Loose order foot not be eligible for Shieldwall, especially when Ancient contemporaries are Loose Order and get the Hoplite rules.

Perhaps a loose order unit in Shieldwall does not have to take a waver from a charge coming from the front, while a close order unit in shieldwall confers a minus on the attacker?

Todd

Adrian Williams
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject:

Any unit fronted by Axeman - close or loose order - perhaps should be exempted from waver testing when charged by mounted in the open - at the moment 2HCW is the choice of cripples

Adrian

Rich Pichnarczyk
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Dark Age

Regarding Viking Berserks - How about the option of upgrading (or attaching) a stand of berserks into a hirdsmen or warrior unit? I find berserks often as detachments (and useful) but there just seems way too many stands of them for their actual numbers.

Regarding Anglo-Dane Huscarls - Think about making them more like their Viking Hirdsmen cousins and give them rank and a half for the axemen charging and countercharging.

Regarding loose order Jav armed cav - Consider giving them rank and a half versus foot only.

Boats & mounted infantry - consider making them more cost effective for certain armies to use. They add so much color to any game.

This is a great discussion on some fun armies.

AntiokosIII
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject:

I am enjoying this thread immensely. I will leave the Viking and Norman comments to others as I don't know as much.

On the Shieldwall issue, though; First, I like Frank's version of a shieldwall rule very much. It's really better than my idea, and I think it's worthy of serious considereation. Any movement allowed to a shieldwall shoud be veru slow, 40p at most, and I personally believe that the requirement of a formation change to get in or out models it reasonably well; any movement requires the men to dress ranks. Maybe the drop out of shieldwall could be a freebie, like skirmish; then you could always move 40p and reform.

Second, the whole idea of a loose order shield-wall is troublesome. The whole notion of a shieldwall is to pack troops more closely together, so that their shields overlap. If loose order troops did that, they'd be changeing to close order. Maybe we ought to permit that if somebody wants to provide duplicate stands of figs for the same unit, but loose order shield wall is kind of a contradiction in terms.

I agree that at least the Anglo-Danes ought to be able to form a shield-wall with the 2HCW Huscarls in front backed up by JLS armed Fyrd. COmbined with Frank's proposed rule, this becomes a reasonably formidable unit. Beatable, to be sure, but no longer the pushover it was. It might get my Anglo Danes off the shelf for some exercise once in awhile.

scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject:

I'm up to my eyeballs in shieldwall right now so the commentary is helpful.

Shieldwall ain't gonna be available to loose order troops, that much is certain.

Everything else?

scott

Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject:

I know I've suggested the use of boats by the Vikings. The boats could also possibly be used on minor water features. They did have shallow drafts and were able to advance to some extreme locations due to this.

Any real thought to the extension of the mongol flank march rules for Vikings who can come in on boats on a MWF?

Todd K

Siward
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject:

AntiokosIII wrote:

I agree that at least the Anglo-Danes ought to be able to form a shield-wall with the 2HCW Huscarls in front backed up by JLS armed Fyrd. COmbined with Frank's proposed rule, this becomes a reasonably formidable unit. Beatable, to be sure, but no longer the pushover it was. It might get my Anglo Danes off the shelf for some exercise once in awhile.

A subject dear to my heart!!!
Shield wall is a great idea. As other have stated it should only be allowed to close formation foot. My preference would be that to enter replaces an approach/counter/retirement. Coming out of shield wall is free. Whilst in shield wall movement is reduced to 40 paces. No impetuous charges would be allowed. The body reverts to block if disordered for any reason ( including if disordered by support shooting – unlikely as this may be ). By default this disallows the formation in difficult terrain It also reverts to block if it pursues.
At first contact opponents of a shield wall face a -2. In continued rounds of combat they face a -1.
Siward
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject:

WARBANDS

For units regarded as warbands ( Franks/Goths/Saxons/celts etc ) I think a simple rule could be used to help them out. The idea should be to encourage historically large units. To qualify as a large unit it would need a minimum of 8 elements. If charging/counter-charging following up or pursuing, count ¼ of figures in 3rd and 4th ranks. For loose formation this would round up to 1/3. This is not a major addition to their effectiveness but does help out.
The only exception to the bonus should be that loose formation warbands armed with HTW miss out at first contact.
I would like an additional provision that to count in the 3rd and 4th ranks the element must be shielded and armed with a hand to hand weapon apart from side arms. This would reflect that missile only troops didn’t really add much value in the press of action and that in the true warband armies, anyone without a shield just wasn’t very serious. Units with shieldless troops still get the bonus of cheap casualty absorption. Missile troops get the invaluable bonus of attracting fire plus dishing out a bit of their own as well as cheap casualty absorption.

Cheers.....Geoff
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Siward wrote:
WARBANDS

For units regarded as warbands ( Franks/Goths/Saxons/celts etc ) I think a simple rule could be used to help them out. The idea should be to encourage historically large units. To qualify as a large unit it would need a minimum of 8 elements. If charging/counter-charging following up or pursuing, count ¼ of figures in 3rd and 4th ranks. For loose formation this would round up to 1/3. This is not a major addition to their effectiveness but does help out.
The only exception to the bonus should be that loose formation warbands armed with HTW miss out at first contact.
I would like an additional provision that to count in the 3rd and 4th ranks the element must be shielded and armed with a hand to hand weapon apart from side arms. This would reflect that missile only troops didn’t really add much value in the press of action and that in the true warband armies, anyone without a shield just wasn’t very serious. Units with shieldless troops still get the bonus of cheap casualty absorption. Missile troops get the invaluable bonus of attracting fire plus dishing out a bit of their own as well as cheap casualty absorption.

Cheers.....Geoff

This is pretty close to the barbarian foot rules Scott has been experimenting with for some time now.

I have mixed feelings about the shields requirement for 3 or 4th rank troops to count. Frank Gilson and I have done quite a bit of playtesting of the barbarian rules, and I'll tell you that if I have to buy shields for the 3rd and 4th rank I'm not going to consider playing that way, because the added cost outweighs the added benefit.

Right now the only units Frank and I think are close to viable under the barbarian rules are units that are as dirt cheap as possible (largely Irr D) with a few upgrades (morale, shields and maybe a better weapon) for the front rank or two. Maccabean Jews and Crusader Pilgrims stand out as good examples of troops that can be bought with relative efficiency this way and that some to come better in line with historical performance as a result.

Armies like Gauls, Spanish, Vikings, or Scots that routinely start out at C class morale and routinely require all stands to have shields just work out to be way too expensive. You still have a fairly fragile unit even in a deep formation, and now its an expensive fragile unit. In addition, you no longer hold as much frontage, which is a big problem. For these armies, the combination of rules system and points system will always conspire to push the player away from using deep formations. So the bottom line is that if you want to make an army like Vikings more viable while staying true to its historical performance/tactics, you'll need another approach besides bonusing 3rd and 4th ranks.

-Mark Stone
Siward
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Mark Stone"]
Siward wrote:
WARBANDS

Right now the only units Frank and I think are close to viable under the barbarian rules are units that are as dirt cheap as possible (largely Irr D) with a few upgrades (morale, shields and maybe a better weapon) for the front rank or two. Maccabean Jews and Crusader Pilgrims stand out as good examples of troops that can be bought with relative efficiency this way and that some to come better in line with historical performance as a result.

Armies like Gauls, Spanish, Vikings, or Scots that routinely start out at C class morale and routinely require all stands to have shields just work out to be way too expensive. You still have a fairly fragile unit even in a deep formation, and now its an expensive fragile unit. In addition, you no longer hold as much frontage, which is a big problem. For these armies, the combination of rules system and points system will always conspire to push the player away from using deep formations. So the bottom line is that if you want to make an army like Vikings more viable while staying true to its historical performance/tactics, you'll need another approach besides bonusing 3rd and 4th ranks.

-Mark Stone

I thought the whole point of the Barbarian rules is to encourage the use of real Warbands not units that just happen to be cost effective because of shieldlessness/low morale.
It is dangerous to add too much extra in attack for any troop type so I think a small increase is the way to go. If the Warband and shield wall changes were made according to what I proposed I would have no hesitation in taking a warband style army ( all shielded ) to an open competition. It would obviously still have it's share of problems but be much more competetive.
Tibor
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Warbands Cost effectiveness

At the risk of attracting a huge amount of opprobrium, cost effectiveness is an argument which has such wide ramifications. Whole armies at present are not used because of this idea - (Who likes taking compulsory MI or HI Jls?).

Making Warbands fight in larger formations could be promoted by simply saying 8E units or larger do not need to pay command points? But then why not extend this further still ... Maybe a revision of the points values might be in order?

Hanging it out there to be poked at

Wink

Tibor

Siward
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Warbands Cost effectiveness

Tibor wrote:

Making Warbands fight in larger formations could be promoted by simply saying 8E units or larger do not need to pay command points? But then why not extend this further still ... Maybe a revision of the points values might be in order?

Hanging it out there to be poked at

Wink

Tibor

Making warbands cheaper still does nothing to help them fight which is what any revisions should be about. They should not be made into super troops but as it stands they are just speed humps to any cavalry with a lance. If a warband plus shield wall revision was put in place these types of troops would be at least able to stand in the open without whimpering whenever they see a horse. They might even stand half a chance against pikes and legionaries.
As for revising the point system....lets not go there. Apart from all the things people like to bring up about it, for the vast majority it works very well. I know specific pet examples can be quoted that can make the system look bad but in the overall balance of things there is no need for change.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: