Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dark Age Warrior List Rule Ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Making warbands cheaper still does nothing to help them fight which is what any revisions should be about. They should not be made into super troops but as it stands they are just speed humps to any cavalry with a lance.

Please realize that I'm half joking and half serious with this one.

(Wallace) You know eventually Longshanks 'll send his entire northern army against us. (#2) Heavy cavalry, armored horse, shake the very ground! (Wallace) Uncle argyle used to talk about it...a new army had never stood up to a charge of heavy horse. (#3) well what we gonna do? (#2) heads, run, the highland way.........(Wallace) we'll make spears, hundreds of them...long spears! twice as long as a man! (#3) that long? (Wallace) aye.....(#3) some men are longer than others. (#2) yar muther been telln' ya stories about me again, aaaah hahahahah!

Todd K

scott holder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Please do not take this discussion on a wide detour regarding the point system.

That being said, FHE has always said that if somebody dropped a finished point system on our door step, we'd look long and hard at it.

For other comments on the point system, search this forum.

Now, back to Dark Age comments. This is really great stuff and we appreciate all the input.

scott

AntiokosIII
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Tod- Look, I know you were kidding, but.....Braveheart? Ewwwwww.

The biggest problem with warbands is that historically they really were not very good. They almost always lost when faced with trained, disciplined troops. The exceptions are famous because they are SO exceptional. OTOH, I have no problem at all allowing most warband armies a downgrade to Irr D, which is probably a fair representation of their real morale value. Warbands armies should basically be a rank oc C class with one stand of A's and the rest D's. Of course, there are exceptions, but overall the Romans were right to regard most warbands as disorganised rabble.

Look, I understand that we want to make these armies competitive, but surely that would mean basing all warband armies on the exceptions, which is not good history.

I continue to think that Frank's shieldwall is the best, altho I still like the idea of some sort of morale test not to follow up or pursue with a loss of shieldwall and disorder if failed. We could get a real Hastings out of this, with the Anglo Danes looking absolutely invincibkle so long as they hold their ground on the hill, but losing when they get carried away and pursue what they believe to be a rout.

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject:

scott holder wrote:
Please do not take this discussion on a wide detour regarding the point system.

That being said, FHE has always said that if somebody dropped a finished point system on our door step, we'd look long and hard at it.

For other comments on the point system, search this forum.

Now, back to Dark Age comments. This is really great stuff and we appreciate all the input.

scott

I, for one, don't want to question the point system in this context. My point, rather, was that we have a point system, and the efficacy of any list rules that enhance the combat capabilities of certain units have to be weighed against what it costs the player to actually configure units that way.

I'm also really interested in finding ways that encourage more historical use and historical performance out of barbarian warband-type armies.

My point was that deep formations is not one of the ways that is likely to encourage historical use because the added cost of buying all but the cheapest figures merely for depth doesn't balance out against the added benefit.

I'm sure there are other approaches that can work. I really like the shield wall discussion, which seems to address giving some of these armies more staying power. And I really like the idea of giving Vikings some Mongol-style benefits with respect to water features. I'd probably go with:
* A Viking flank march on a flank with a major water feature gets the same flank march rules as Mongols get;
* Vikings in boats are never uneasy;
* A Viking unit that starts a tactical or march move entirely on a boat and ends with the entire frontage of the unit on land moves as if over open terrain.

I still feel we lack a good list rule to give warbands a representative amount of punch.

-Mark Stone
scott holder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I still feel we lack a good list rule to give warbands a representative amount of punch.

We are all eyes for alternatives to what has been developed thus far.

From a combat standpoint, what we have works great. I feel that the cost-effectiveness analysis is still open to debate. We looked at that.

Again, if somebody wants to concoct a different way for discussion, analsysis and playtest, we're open for bidness.

scott

Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Mark's point on Vikings (for example) needing every bit of the frontage that they have right now, without trying to go into deep formations, is very true. I'm on record as claiming that Vikings might be viable (kinda, sorta) but the frontage issue is a huge one, especially with the axeman minimum.

Shieldwall preventing disorder from combat I *really* like. Probably an exception for being broken through.

In-period, a possibility to consider is offering a bonus to 2HCW-armed foot when fighting JLS (or LTS?) foot opponents. This would get more of the axemen of lore into play, possibly, certainly fronting units.

I take the point that IrrC LMI JLS, Sh are really just not that dangerous to professional armies other than by weight of numbers.

Neat discussion.
scott holder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Shieldwall and disorder.

This is *very* tricky. I have one way of approaching Shieldwall but this would be pretty much the exact opposite. Not that I'm wed to one approach over another but it's all in the numbers.

One historical note: Shieldwall was described as being a *packed* formation. So much so that the people writing about it during the time ended up using "antiquated" names for it, like testudo and phalanx.

The latter is interesting since it suggests *one* approach to treating Shieldwall in post-combat situations. By that I mean you treat it like a phalanx in that it disorders first, keeps the formation (and whatever benefits the formation provides) but does not recoil. On the second bound of melee, if it loses, it recoils, just like a phalanx.

Again, that's *one* approach and keep in mind that we like to ground anything new list rule wise in as much of the existing mechanics as we can.

If you haven't guessed yet, I've been doing a lot of number crunching using one particular model.

If you have some specific "non-disorder" approaches to Shieldwall, please share so we can run more numbers.

scott

Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

The biggest problem with warbands is that historically they really were not very good.

Well... I understand the historical inaccuracies, but... anyway the point I was moving towards is just what you stated. Warbands were some excellent rough terrain troops who did not do particularly well in the open w/ few exceptions. I just couldn't resist stating a quote that our group up here in New England

Englishman: "You are out-matched. You have no heavy cavalry. In two centuries no army has won without it..."

I do agree that with a general trend lending itself to list rules for armies to make them more historically accurate and flavorful I think that the dark age armies deserve the same as everyone else.

Todd K

Martin Williams
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: shield wall

I've been thinking about shooting from and at a shield wall.

Presumably it would be quite hard for the front rank of a shield wall to shoot (im thinking of the numerous viking double armed archers). Although presumably you could from a second rank. Should these archers be allowed in mixed units in the Viking List? At the moment I dont believe they can be, which seems odd.

Would a shield wall help protect from shooting (something like a testudo)? Perhaps a -1 for any shooters other than artillery/HG.

On the combat front, a shield wall that disorders as soon as Beaten (like pike) Is much less resilient than one that simply recoils (especially if armed with 2hcw). Whether this is a good or a bad thing depends on how strong you want the formation to be. As I understand the descriptions of these battles there was often a bit of backwards and forwards before one of the formations broke up.

All this talk of shield wall is making me itch to rebase my Vikings as close order and bring them out of retirment!

Martin
Siward
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject:

AntiokosIII wrote:

The biggest problem with warbands is that historically they really were not very good. They almost always lost when faced with trained, disciplined troops. The exceptions are famous because they are SO exceptional. OTOH, I have no problem at all allowing most warband armies a downgrade to Irr D, which is probably a fair representation of their real morale value. Warbands armies should basically be a rank oc C class with one stand of A's and the rest D's. Of course, there are exceptions, but overall the Romans were right to regard most warbands as disorganised rabble.

Any list rules should be aimed at REAL MEN style warbands not run of the mill barbarians with no warrior ethos.
The Romans certainly didn’t think Celts or Germans were pussies when they got run over many times by them! Trajans boys had a very hard time against the Dacians. There are many other examples.
As for Braveheart quotes.......the Lowland Scots of that period are exactly the kind of troops who should not get warband style rules. Now Highlanders may be a different issue Smile

Cheers....Geoff
scott holder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:
On the combat front, a shield wall that disorders as soon as Beaten (like pike) Is much less resilient than one that simply recoils (especially if armed with 2hcw). Whether this is a good or a bad thing depends on how strong you want the formation to be.

That also depends when you have the unit drop out of Shieldwall. If you base it on fulcum, it would drop out upon recoil. Having it do that makes crafting the rule much easier, keeps it simpler and stays more within established concepts.

I'm not saying that's what we're wed to, far from it, but, it's much more consistent with a formation that from a systems standpoint, shares a lot in common with fulcum and testudo.

Keep it coming guys, this is very helpful.

scott

Adrian Williams
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject:

Any rules benefitting these troops should be on a case by case list by list basis - for instance my proposal of no waver test for 2HCW fronted troops when charged by mounted even if loose order should not apply to everything - not to Sarmatian Axemen for instance, but perhaps to Loose order Viking Huscarls, and some other troops who might warrant the benefit.

With flank marching - perhaps this is an option. Viking troops or troops under the command of a viking general can always flank march from a major water feature (not sure whether is should be normal basis or preferential mongol basis) whether they have bought boats or not. The idea of this is to assume that they always have boats somewhere and can use them as they please without declaring the purchase of boats. This will allow them to both narrow the table and flank march on their narrowed flank as well if they wish.

One other suggestion - EHC in Maurikian and Thematic Byzantines may skirmish if armed with a missile weapon. Not too strongly committed to that one, but putting it up for discussion.

Adrian

scott holder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Go back and look at Frank's initial suggestion on Shieldwall. Ignore charging, following-up, etc.

How would you handle a unit armed with 2HCW in subsequent bounds of melee? Assume the unit counts shielded on the first bound of HTH and fights with 2HCW while in Shieldwall (Hastings makes the strongest case for that capability).

Okay, next bound, same combat. Assume the Shieldwall formation still applies (note I'm being deliberately vague here about what impact that would have in terms of factors, disorder, whatever). Now what? Do you continue to count 2HCW? If so, is it now shielded or shieldless? If you don't count it, does the 2HCW "revert" to plain ole SA, stay shielded and get whatever Shieldwall bonus applies? I can certainly make a case for warriors of the period carrying more than one weapon, particularly axemen who typically also carried a sword of some type in addition to their battle axe.

So much minutia. Razz

scott

AntiokosIII
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Hmmmm....I see where you're going, Scott, but it's tough to picture the Huscarls dropping the 2 handed axes while locked in combat; also switching from 2H axe to sword and shield while in combat would be very tricky.

OTOH, if we have the front rank Huscarls in shieldwall getting a -1 to opponent's HTH factor in every round, that would cut the shieldless bonus (assumimg HI) from a +2 to a +1, which is still prettty good in a second round, with full second rank support and the other guy down to "other weapons" in most cases. I'd be surprised if the numbers didn't add up to this being a pretty nice advantage and more to the point encourage folks to field big fat historical shieldwall units; I'm thinking 12 stands, front rank IrrB HI 2HCW, sh; second rank Irr C MI JLS, Sh; Third rank Irr D MI JLS. You'd have the Huscarls, Select Fyrd, and Great Fyrd all in one big mass (which is pretty accurate) that would be quite tough but immobile and brittle. Allow them to keep Shieldwall if recoiled, but not to charge impetuously. You'd have to allow charges or else two shieldwalls could never come into contact. Maybe say they can't ever charge mounted while in Shieldwall?

Siward
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject:

AntiokosIII wrote:
Hmmmm....I see where you're going, Scott, but it's tough to picture the Huscarls dropping the 2 handed axes while locked in combat; also switching from 2H axe to sword and shield while in combat would be very tricky.

OTOH, if we have the front rank Huscarls in shieldwall getting a -1 to opponent's HTH factor in every round, that would cut the shieldless bonus (assumimg HI) from a +2 to a +1, which is still prettty good in a second round, with full second rank support and the other guy down to "other weapons" in most cases. I'd be surprised if the numbers didn't add up to this being a pretty nice advantage and more to the point encourage folks to field big fat historical shieldwall units; I'm thinking 12 stands, front rank IrrB HI 2HCW, sh; second rank Irr C MI JLS, Sh; Third rank Irr D MI JLS. You'd have the Huscarls, Select Fyrd, and Great Fyrd all in one big mass (which is pretty accurate) that would be quite tough but immobile and brittle. Allow them to keep Shieldwall if recoiled, but not to charge impetuously. You'd have to allow charges or else two shieldwalls could never come into contact. Maybe say they can't ever charge mounted while in Shieldwall?

Great solution!! I love this as it keeps things simple and also replicate the fact that a person with a 2HCW can't be as protected as someone using a weapon in one hand. Also agree with the shieldwall needing to be able to charge.

Cheers.......Geoff

Last edited by Siward on Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: