Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lists and geographic areas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Lists and geographic areas

Hi,

Recently I've been painting figures for Anglo Irish and Medeival Irish, which will soon be inspiring fear on table tops near you! Smile Anyway, I've been dabbling in the history of the Butlers and FitzGeralds in the 1300s and 1400s and have found this period of history to be amusing with clans changing sides, jumping ships and getting in other people's wars, and just generally making for interesting history.

The problem I'm having is that seems that some generals and troops are jumping between lists as they cross the Irish Sea and Channel in the course of their careers. My question is for these lists that are closely intertwined in history and space, each list covers the battles in its geographic area, not where the army came from? My example question for this would be late period Anglo Irish and War of the Roses Yorkist Pretender. The army begins in England with some Yorkist lords, sails over to Ireland to pick up support, and then sails back to England for the battle. So if I wanted to model the Yorkist Pretender army in Ireland, I would use the Anglo Irish late period list but a few days later after they sailed over the sea, that would be War of the Roses Yorkist Pretender?

I suppose the other approach could be to model the lists after where the armies originated and then have list variants for the armies going elsewhere. But this would lead to really strange list variants, like Anglo Irish in France (one of the Lord Fitzgeralds apparently led a chevauchee in France).

A third approach might be to dump the separate Scot, Irish, and English lists and lump them all together with lots of variants? That would probably rival the Nikephorian Byzantine list in length and complexity so I think that approach would be worse.

Anyway, if Scot would comment a little on his thoughts here, that would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jamie White
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Some specific list questions

Hi,

1. The list rule for detachments says that the Anglo Irish Billmen who are RD may have a detachment of Archers. The list line labeled Archers is IC light infantry. As an example of regular troops having an irregular detachment one can see the Khmer list, but I was unsure I was reading this right. Is there supposed to be an option for the Archers to be RD or IC, the reference intended for the longbowmen in the list, or something else?

2. On the other side of the Irish Sea, the billmen have the option to be half shielded in the War of the Roses list. Should these billmen have the same upgrade option or do some of them win a shield on their cruise across the Irish Sea when they change lists? Smile

3. For the galloglaich, should there be a line to add their page boys as IB LC JLS Sh, up to 1/3 of the total galloglaich elements? Should there be an option to upgrade the morale of light infantry to IB (kerns or Archers) from IC as part of the detachment to the galloglaich?

4. There is not option to upgrade one element of Bonnachts to IB to act as a bodyguard element to a general on foot.

5. In the middle period, all the Anglo Irish lancers are HC, which is fine. In the early period, these troops are all HK, and in the late period these troops are HC with an option to upgrade half to HK. Just for consistency, shouldn't the lancers in the middle period have the option to upgrade to HK, or at least 1 element per general for a bodyguard?

Thanks,

Jamie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: