Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Condottieri doubles list to pick apart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Condottieri doubles list to pick apart

time for some fun

the chance to run Moogs and Swiss in the same army mmmmm, add to that 2HCT+CB troops and SHK plus at least some LC....

I'd actually prefer the mid-period Florentines with English longbows in place of the 2HCT+CB troops (having just visited Florence) but the mid-period Swiss are not _quite_ as scary (?) and the Swiss+Moogs foot combo is definately the appeal I am going for here

maybe this army is wasting points on a sub-general which could be better invested in more firepower or lights?

Italian Condotta (Late Period, 1401-1494) Venetian in Italy
1997 pts (18 scouting)

Main Armati (1055 pts):
1 unit @ 232 pts 2E 1/2 CinC Reg A SHK L, Sh with PA-std
1/2 Reg B SHK L, Sh
1 unit @ 160 pts 2E 1/2 sub-general Reg B SHK L, Sh with P-std
1/2 Reg B SHK L, Sh
1 unit @ 130 pts 2E Reg B SHK L, Sh
1 unit @ 109 pts 6E Irr C LC JLS, B, Sh
4 units @ 106 pts 4E 2/4 Reg C LHI 2HCT, CB, Sh
2/4 Reg C LMI CB, Sh

Neapolitan Allies (464 pts):
1 unit @ 182 pts 2E 1/2 ally-general Reg B SHK L, Sh with P-std
1/2 Reg C SHK L, Sh
1 unit @ 124 pts 2E Reg C SHK L, Sh
2 units @ 79 pts 4E 2/4 Irr B LMI HTW, JLS, Sh
2/4 Irr B LMI HTW, JLS

Swiss Allies (476 pts):
1 unit @ 200 pts 6E 1/6 ally-general Reg A LHI P
3/6 Reg B LMI P
2/6 Reg B LHI 2HCT
2 units @ 138 pts 6E 1/6 Reg B LHI P
3/6 Reg B LMI P
2/6 Reg B LHI 2HCT
(still need 2E or more required Swiss LI HG)
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Condottieri doubles list to pick apart

John Murphy wrote:
time for some fun

tItalian Condotta (Late Period, 1401-1494) Venetian in Italy
1997 pts (18 scouting)

Main Armati (1055 pts):
1 unit @ 232 pts 2E 1/2 CinC Reg A SHK L, Sh with PA-std
1/2 Reg B SHK L, Sh
1 unit @ 160 pts 2E 1/2 sub-general Reg B SHK L, Sh with P-std
1/2 Reg B SHK L, Sh
1 unit @ 130 pts 2E Reg B SHK L, Sh
1 unit @ 109 pts 6E Irr C LC JLS, B, Sh
4 units @ 106 pts 4E 2/4 Reg C LHI 2HCT, CB, Sh
2/4 Reg C LMI CB, Sh

Neapolitan Allies (464 pts):
1 unit @ 182 pts 2E 1/2 ally-general Reg B SHK L, Sh with P-std
1/2 Reg C SHK L, Sh
1 unit @ 124 pts 2E Reg C SHK L, Sh
2 units @ 79 pts 4E 2/4 Irr B LMI HTW, JLS, Sh
2/4 Irr B LMI HTW, JLS

Swiss Allies (476 pts):
1 unit @ 200 pts 6E 1/6 ally-general Reg A LHI P
3/6 Reg B LMI P
2/6 Reg B LHI 2HCT
2 units @ 138 pts 6E 1/6 Reg B LHI P
3/6 Reg B LMI P
2/6 Reg B LHI 2HCT
(still need 2E or more required Swiss LI HG)

The light cavalry unit serves no purpose here, since it is your only unit of lights and will thus be operating pretty much in isolation. Either buy more light troops, or don't buy the light cav. You can get some Reg C LI with B as I recall, and some Reg C LC with CB. Not great stuff, but vaguely useful in combination with the Turkish light cav here.

It looks like you are intending to run the CB guys as front rank 2HCT and back rank just CB. This is enormously wasteful, as this just makes them really expensive shooters that are slightly less brittle. If you give both ranks 2HCT then you have a unit that has legitimate hand-to-hand capability, as well as adequate shooting capability. This requires that the entire unit be LHI, but perhaps take 3 units all LHI 2HCT,CB instead of 4 units.

Be very careful about how much confidence you put in the Moogs. They are still potent, but not as potent in a world of Swiss and Phalangites (and circulating Romans). I've looked at them long and hard, trying to find an army on which I'd actually play them (since I have the figures in both 15mm and 25mm). I'd never play them on Italian Condotta, though I do think the Swiss are a good buy. I would play the Moogs on Sicilian Hohenstafen, but you have to buy the list very carefully to make the Moogs effective.

Overall, the list you have here does not cover anywhere near the frontage a 2000 point army needs to cover. You'll spend all battle fighting at the hinges in your line and probably losing. You're also vulnerable to mass shooting. So again, give some serious thought to buy more lights to both stretch your frontage and absorb some enemy shooting.

-Mark Stone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: