Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

deploy in skirmish
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siward
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Mark Stone wrote:

Now I'm confused. The events phase precedes the approach phase. Look at 3.0 on page 17. How could you possibly succeed in placing bodies "during the events phase" without having them in place prior to the Approach Phase??

-Mark Stone

Thanks for pointing this out. The embarrassing thing is that, had I even looked at the sequence of play page in the last few years I would not have had to ask the question. I have been reading “during the events phase” as meaning during the approach phase.....Aaaarrgh.
The rule is now crystal clear Smile
Cheers...........Geoff
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject:

Mark: FoG is (something like?) Fields of Glory. It's a ruleset from Slitherine, which is being driven by a couple of leading lights of the UK hobby. Very much a move back from DBM toward 7th, with units, complex(ish) troop classifications, and so on.

Given the conditions of the beta-test agreement, I didn't get to see the actual rules, but reports suggest (although Jon clearly disagrees) that it's aimed at Warrior-type folks: those who want a complex game rewarding careful and detailed execution.

I would expect, given that I know the principals, that the rules will be cohesive and coherent, and there's been quite a lot of playtesting in UK comps. We'll see.
joncleaves

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject:

It is ok with me if they aim for Warrior-types. After seeing the game played and reading the rules, I do agree it is more complex than DBM - yet it still glosses over some troop type issues and the lists have none of the richness of ours. But if they aim for us, they will miss the disaffected DBMer who wants a *simpler* game and we will step in with Warrior Battles.

If it so happens that it is the perfect compromise and everyone moves to FoG: disaffected DBMer, Warrior-er and WAB-er alike, then we'll declare them geniuses and move on....

That all said - from a business model standpoint, aiming for Warrior types is a poor choice. There aren't enough upon which to build a mass market game success.

Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject:

I actually think that they are aiming at the UK base of folks-who-would-like-Warrior, many of whom (heck, most) have never seen Warrior. Which might end the relatively compatible cross-atlantic rules use, and that would be a big shame Sad
Adrian Williams
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject:

I am a playtester for FOG and I am waiting for my pre-ordered copy. It is probably my third favourite ancient wargame after Warrior and DBA. It is much better than DBM which I find very tedious and there will be times when I will play it in comps if it takes off - just not when there is a Warrior comp on at the same time.

The army lists are very restrictive, especially when it comes to defined unit sizes.

Adrian

wargame692000
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Adrian,
Sounds like the first commercial version is available. Any idea where I can buy a copy?
Paul.
Adrian Williams
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject:

It is an osprey product - I believe you can pre-order on Amazon. I pre-ordered through the Slitherine Software site. They are supposed to be released this month.

ANW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: