Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breakthrough and Disorder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Breakthrough and Disorder

John,

Rule 6.33, penultimate sentence, reads: "Bodies breaking through are not disordered simply by doing so." (emphasis added)

6.51 says That if you interpenetrate chariots or disordered bodies, you are disordered.

Question #1 : Does this mean that a unit in good order after combat that chooses to breakthrough either an enemy chariot or a disordered enemy is disordered, i.e., has made a disordering interpenetration? It would seem so, reading the two provisions together.

Question #2: Assuming the answer to #1 is yes, would the same result obtain even if the enemy unit was just disordered by the very combat that produced the opportunity to breakthrough? It would seem so, given the move sequence.

joncleaves

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject:

#1 yes.

#2 no. that is all simultaneous.

wargame692000
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject:

joncleaves wrote:
#1 yes.

Is it just me or is that a big change? I have never seen such a situation played this way. This will radically alter players approaches to break through moves. I have always played, and seen played, that a unit breaking through is never disprdered for doing so.

Paul Collins.
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject:

OK, so I have an odd follow up question to this:
* Unit A is disordered and charged by Unit B, which is also disordered;
* As a result of combat, B is eligible to, and opts to break through A;
* This is a second cause of disorder for A, and a combat cause of disorder for A, and hence A must waver test.

This is also a second cause of disorder for B. It appears to be a combat cause of disorder. Must B waver test?

-Mark Stone
joncleaves

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Paul - no change I am aware of.

Mark - no. The cause of disorder for the breaking through guy is a movement cause (interpenetrating a disordered body), not a "combat cause" (like 3CPF or some such).

Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure that I've ever considered it, but I think that I agree with Paul: the concept that a unit would not become disordered for breaking through enemy, but *does* become disordered if that enemy is less cohesive, is.. odd.

I *know* that both I and opponents have played this apparently wrong whenever it has come up - as I say, without anyone even thinking about it; the most common case that comes to mind is a unit of loose foot that failed the waver for being charged and is now being broken through to force a second waver; the unit of e.g. knights doing the breakthrough is *not* going to be able to manouvre freely in the back field as has been the usual practice Smile.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Correct...

Correct...

But a careful reading of the rules and as Jon states that's what happens. If you interpenetrate disordered troops, you are disordered...nothing states that breakers-thru get a free pass on that...and a break through is an interpenetration.

Frank
wargame692000
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject:

Ewan McNay wrote:
I'm not sure that I've ever considered it, but I think that I agree with Paul: the concept that a unit would not become disordered for breaking through enemy, but *does* become disordered if that enemy is less cohesive, is.. odd.

I *know* that both I and opponents have played this apparently wrong whenever it has come up - as I say, without anyone even thinking about it; the most common case that comes to mind is a unit of loose foot that failed the waver for being charged and is now being broken through to force a second waver; the unit of e.g. knights doing the breakthrough is *not* going to be able to manouvre freely in the back field as has been the usual practice Smile.

Remember that a break through is not a must rally situation. Knights that breakthrough; and become disordered, are still able to turn and charge again.
Ian Poade
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject:

Doesn't the fact that the unit originaly charged make it a "Must Rally"?
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Ian Poade wrote:
Doesn't the fact that the unit originaly charged make it a "Must Rally"?

Yeah, I've always taken the same view as Ian on this. Jon?

-Mark
joncleaves

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject:

The simple act of breaking through does not place the body in a mandatory rally.

Same for charging. Charging *without contact* requires a rally, but not simply charging.

Please check out 5.41. Always ok to look at the rulebook before asking a question. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: