Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Murphy's lead
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Buy, Sell, Trade
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: set of painted 25mm Old Glory Normans

Nicely painted 25mm Old Glory Normans, shield decals, generally excellent condition...
individually based using spackle paste mag bases (sized to fit 'WRG' size metal sub-bases, not included) lightly flocked green

They were on my flea market table at Cold Wars if you saw them.

111 mounted milites (Irr HC lancers with kite shields) on 20mm wide by 40mm deep (can put 3/metal 60x40 for Warrior etc) includes a couple standards, Duke William, Bishop Odo, a bard with lyre

58 foot half Irr chainmail spear kite shield, half unarmored bowmen (some bowmen have helms some are bare headed) (maybe 30/28 or 28/30) all foot are on 15mm wide by 20mm deep (can put 2-3-4 on a 60mm by 20-30mm for Warrior etc, but except as close foot you would ideally want a painted metal sub-base that did not interfere with the magnet - I do not have such)

You know Old Glory, the poses are varied, the equipment is slightly varied, nice irregular look. I personally think one of their better lines but in any case the paint job is pretty good regardless of figure detail.

I checked the Old Glory website and now recall they jacked their prices up a year or two ago (I was one of the ones rushing to buy some other 25's before the price went up) and now are charging $30 for 10 mounted or 30 foot unpainted. When I bought the figures 15 years ago when I lived in Los Angeles they were maybe $12-$18 a bag or something.

My friend Steve Sents from way back then who painted them for me (with advice from Tom Coveney who is an expert on Normans as many other things) charged me at substantial discount $2/foot and $5/mounted including basing and he threw in the decals. Looking at Fernando's webpage, you would call them at least Collector quality, maybe not quite as good as showcase but definately better than his wargamer (which he does not even do for 25s). Fernando charges $1.50/foot for collector and $3/foot for showcase (double each for mounted), plus $1/mounted (half for foot) for basing, plus the cost of the shield decals (maybe a sheet of 12 for 6 bucks based on current LBM Studios pricing), plus you have to pay to ship them back and forth to/from Sri Lanka.

So long and short thanks to Steve's generosity I got away with about $6.50/mounted and $2.50/foot, or for the entire set about $866 in 1993 dollars. Today this would cost something more like $3.25/foot and $7.50/mounted or for the entire set $1021 plus the cost, maybe $40 or so, of two way shipping to Sri Lanka - and I do not know of a cheaper way to get figures as nicely painted as that (if you do please let me know). Maybe there is a math error in there but you get the general idea.

I had them listed at Cold Wars for $700 (that is $2.50/foot) Friday and dropped the price to $600 Sunday for the entire set, did not want to sell them by the figure because I was more than willing for that price to take them home with me if I had to.

I am, well, frankly, a bit incredulous. But the economy is not the greatest and maybe right now nobody can afford entire armies except at fire sale pricing (which, however, this is approaching considering the quality).

(by the way, everything else I had listed for sale either I decided not to sell for now or it went, some for as little as 50 cents a foot, leaving me with only these 25mm Normans, my 15mm Moldavians which I use occassionally, my brand new 15mm Anglo-Irish which after seeing how they turned out there is no way I can sell, and my start at 25mm Moldavians, for my sum total of painted lead - the Normans are the only item of these I ready to sell just yet but it is possible the Moldavians in both scales may go on the block later this year)

Somewhere I have the two busted mounted rearing posed figures but could not find them as I was packing and in any case they are not included in this. There is one based riderless horse in the box but I did not include him in the count. Otherwise except possible a kite shield or two that may be laying loose they are in perfect shape (the spears are tough - they tend to fall out of the hands rather than bend so you can glue them back, none are loose currently, but they are not the sharp little needles either).

Anyhow, I will not shed too many tears if they do not sell for $600, I can always use them for skirmish gaming which is why I got them, and maybe they will someday see a warrior battle - you can readily get a 1600 pt list out of them (with about 50% mounted to spare) but you would probably want more foot to use them as a Warrior army as HC even Irr A, while in hordes enough to waste on charging LI, is going to have a rough time getting shot full of arrows.

But I _will_ sell them if someone meets the $600 price and I do not have to mess with the responsibility of shipping them - I am not a shipping or army selling expert and I have been on the wrong end of a few figure shipping disasters some of which really pissed me off - do not want to do that to anyone else.
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject:

John -

- missed you at CW Sad. Were you playing in the doubles? [I also missed Dave Bauer, so my attempts to spend money were markedly unsuccessful!]

Anyway - I guess I'll see what happens at H'Con (if I'm there). Too bad.
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject:

[quote="Ewan McNay"]John -

- missed you at CW :(. Were you playing in the doubles? [I also missed Dave Bauer, so my attempts to spend money were markedly unsuccessful!]

Anyway - I guess I'll see what happens at H'Con (if I'm there). Too bad.[/quote]

Friday morning I was playing Lace Warfare in Jeff Ball's Culloden demo game.
I was at the Flea Market table Friday afternoon.
Friday night I was playing Charge! with the HAWKS.
Saturday I was in the Warrior doubles but in 15mm (Tim G and I were playing the Moldavians) - there were only three teams in 15mm so I had a bye in the morning to go browse around. Of course, like most people there I had, how to say, an 'extended break' Saturday late afternoon/early evening.
Sunday I was back at the Flea Market table again.

Historicon is 7YW theme, so I will definately be there and definately not doing much ancients or Flea Marketing, but I will try to have the Normans and whatever else with me and maybe set up shop on Sunday.
ted greenspan
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: figures

always interested in well painted lead. also interested in board games. my phone number is 251-342-7007.hm..give me a call and we can chat on this stuff. i just recently got access to boards , so am late to respond to this

ted
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject:

got rid of a lot at Cold Wars.

still have...

1. 25mm Normas (see prev posts this topic)
2. 15mm Moldavians, which I _have_ decided to sell, very nice
3. 50figs _very_ well painted but unassembled/unbased 25mm Moldavian LC (see prev posts this topic), which I _have_ decided to sell

Then there is the brand new 15mm Anglo-Irish, have yet to decide on that one.

I will be at Hcon at least for one day, perhaps the whole weekend. But no flea market and no ancients this year (7yw fan). But I'd prefer to arrange sale there.

I will try to get a list together with exact details for the Moldavian 15's. There is somewhat over 2000 pts worth and a nice set of tents to match.

Last edited by John Murphy on Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
chrisbump
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject:

I have lots of unpainted 15mm lead that is only putting a dent in my closet floor.
Most of it is either dark ages type figures and a fair amount of huns and other horse trash types.

The lines are mostly essex with a good smattering of Thistle and Rose.

If anyone is interested, I will do a cataloging and get to you.
If not, I will just swap meet it at H'con.

I will be attending and will lug it with if we can strike a deal in the next two weeks.

Chris
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject:

[quote="chrisbump"]I have lots of unpainted 15mm lead that is only putting a dent in my closet floor.
Most of it is either dark ages type figures and a fair amount of huns and other horse trash types.

The lines are mostly essex with a good smattering of Thistle and Rose.

If anyone is interested, I will do a cataloging and get to you.
If not, I will just swap meet it at H'con.

I will be attending and will lug it with if we can strike a deal in the next two weeks.

Chris[/quote]

Not really interested in a trade, but thanks.
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject:

ok, re the 15mm Moldavians...

all elements painted (paintedarmies.com, except the tents by baeuda) and based (thick mag-bottom, green light flocking) for Warrior, figures mostly Essex except where noted

I think the paint job is very good for 15s

BTW - you can not see it very well but my avatar image is the CinC and a few stands of boyars I think with the tents in the background

(for heraldry references see anything on Polish or more especially Lithuanian heraldry)

5 Baeuda (sp?) tents, 1 double size pavillion ptd for Stefan the Great, 1 single-size Yurt, 1 single-size pavillion ptd for Stefan the Great, 1 single-size pavillion with Vytis, 1 single-size pavillion with Columns of Gedimas - ie they match the generals

1 CinC HC/HK element w/ standard & musician, Stefan the Great
1 Sub-general HC/HK element w/ standard & musican, Vytis
1 Sub-general HC/HK element w/standard & musican, Columns of Gedimas
1 Ally-general HC/MC element w/ standard & musican, Tartars

10 elements of Boyar HC/HK, with Polish-style linear heraldry (Essex Lithuanians - nice figs)
24 elements of Viteji LC (Essex Lithuanians - nice figs)
36 elements of eastern euro LI archers (half have shields on back)
2 eastern euro bombard elements with crew on stand and seperate base for oxen transports
4 elements of eastern euro LMI JLS/Sh
12 elements of tartar LC, all bow, half JLS/Sh (bows in case) also
2 elements tartar (agas?) HC/MC L,B,Sh
3 elements tartar MC B only

this is more total tartars than you can have in the list (12 + general is the limit iirc) but it lets you configure them different ways

note the tartars get Mongol rules and the Viteji LC fight 1.5 ranks
and you can run the boyars (& generals) as Irr A front rank if you are into that kind of thing (like me)

19x3 + 36x2 mounted = 129 mounted figs
2x4 (art) + 4x3 + 36x2 = 92 foot figures
plus 2 cannon, 8 oxen, 5 really nice tents which you could count as 6 since one is double-size

let's say $550, that about $1.50/ft which I think is maybe less than I paid just for the paint job
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Anglo-Irish, Middle Period (circa 1360's)

All figures are Essex 15mm, painted by paintedarmies.com
Very, very nice job he did on these
Note all the Reg units are in their generals' livery and have a command stand with his square banner - the army standard is a triangular standard of Edward III

42 mounted figs
172 foot figs
let's say $400 firm, I will not be heartbroken if they do not sell

Lionel Plantagenet 1st Duke of Clarence's Men-at-Arms 2E Reg B EHK L,Sh PA-std
(Lionel Plantagenet 1st Duke of Clarence's Men-at-Arms dismounted 2E Reg B EHI JLS,Sh PA-std)
Lionel Plantagenet 1st Duke of Clarence's Justiciary Archers 4E Reg B LHI LB
Lionel Plantagenet 1st Duke of Clarence's Justiciary Archers 4E Reg B LHI LB
Lionel Plantagenet 1st Duke of Clarence's Justiciary Hobilars 2E Reg D MI LTS

Gerald fitzMaurice 3rd Earl of Desmond and Colonist Lances 2E Irr B HK/HC L,Sh P-std
Gerald fitzMaurice 3rd Earl of Desmond's Archers 4E Reg D LMI LB
Gerald fitzMaurice 3rd Earl of Desmond's Archers 4E Reg D LMI LB

James Butler 2nd Earl of Ormond and Colonist Lances 2E Irr B HK/HC L,Sh P-std
James Butler 2nd Earl of Ormond's Archers 4E Reg D LMI LB
James Butler 2nd Earl of Ormond's Archers 4E Reg D LMI LB

Colonist Lances 2E Irr B L,Sh

Irish Bonnachts 6E Irr C LMI JLS,Sh/2HCW,JLS
Irish Bonnachts 6E Irr C LMI JLS,Sh/2HCW,JLS
Irish Kerns 6E Irr C LI JLS,Sh/S
Irish Kerns 6E Irr C LI JLS,Sh/S
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject:

John -

- the Moldavians are probably not for me right now, but the Anglo-Irish are very attractive. (Well, honestly, I have a ton of K already, but they're pretty bad, so attractive medievals would be good.) The price is fine in theory, but I would like to see them first - you'll have them at H'Con? I'll be there from first thing Thurs.

Cheers - Ewan (drop me a line: new email is now emcnay, which is at albany dot edu).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Buy, Sell, Trade All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: