Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Historicon 08
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: paging Jevon...

On a different note: Jevon, your email is not accepting new messages, and I wondered whether you'd want to ride down to Lancaster together? Let me know Smile.

[Anyone else: if Bill is not able to make the grudge match on Thursday morning, I should be in town and looking for a game - any interest? If Jevon's riding with me, he gets first preference Smile]
Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Ewan: Yes to the grudge match Thursday morning. John and I will be coming in on Wednesday evening. Presumably that would be in 25mm?? 15mm is better for me, but I'll figure a way to lug the 25s up to Lancaster if need be and then play them in the Open. BTW, I passed my comps, am writing my dissertation, and my fellowship runs out this year, so I empathize with the lost regalia.
Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Wed. Night Game

Scott: I'm lame but could play you a Biblical Theme game Wednesday night if someone will loan me some chariots to do it with, or if you want to fight your chariots against Hellenistic Greeks in either scale I could do that. If either of those is of interest email me offlist at wjchriss@mail.utexas.edu
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject:

Well, I'm looking forward to just being back at Historicon, after missing last year.

Beyond that, I'll be playing something from Oriental Warrior in the NICT on Thursday. Given the meager practice I've had this year, I fully expect to be playing in the Open by Saturday. We'll see. My NICT plan is a lot like Ewan's Theme plan: roll up a lot.

-Mark Stone
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Actually, my Theme list is in part a tribute to Mark. One of the subtitles is "Bet I have more figures on the table than ^%&^%# Stone this year!"

Wink

Bill - 15mm is fine, I'll run my Theme list!* Now all I need is a place to sleep Weds night...

[*Up to you, really; sticking another 15mm army in the car is no big deal. Especially as it would be Bill's lead and he'd be the one driving it Wink. Let me know if you'd rather face something more serious.]
Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Ewan. I think I'd prefer 25mm, but let me get back to you once I figure out if I can safely transport my 1600 pts of 25mm and my 1200 pts of 15mm for the mini simultaneously. I'm going looking for boxes/luggage/containers this weekend to see what I can rig up for carry-on. I'll let you know this weekend. Is your email the same (I'm guessing not due to leaving Yale). Mine is wjchriss@mail.utexas.edu
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject:

Bill - very happy to play 25mm if you'd prefer, that's no problem at all. Let me know either way - these days I'm at emcnay@albany.edu, although for now the yale address still works (and I'm keeping an adjunct appt there anyway).
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Bill: I'm good to go for Wed night if you still are. I've played two practice games with the L Hebrews thus far, both out of period (Picts, then Normans) so what's one more?

scott

Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Good Scott! Which scale?
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Oops, 25mm of course!
Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Okay, Scott. Will pack them up and plan to play 'em in the Open as well. Too bad I'll also have to bring the 15's to play in the mini, but I'll find a way!
Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Historicon AAR

Okay, dadgum it; it's been a week nobody else has posted an AAR from H'con. What is wrong with you guys? Is something wrong with Warrior? Is something wrong with teh Forum? Rhetorical questions (I hope) Wink

So here goes, although my experience, as always was a whirlwind of humiliations that it is much easier for me to forget than to remember. Over and ov er and over again, year after year (since like 1994), I am taught the same lessons, relearn the same rules, and remember that to play well requires playing often, which I don't and pretty much can't down here with my other commitments. But over all I still enjoy the thing and Warrior and the guys we see each year in PA, most of whom are now finally in varying degrees recognized and familiar. And doing it with my adult son, John, who is even more inexperienced but naturally better and luckier than me, always makes the trip special, our main one alone together for the year.

Well, Scott graciously agreed to beat the crap out of me with his Hebrew chariots/irreg warriors on Wednesday night so he could get a feel for his theme army and I could remember some rules. And Ewan agreed to renew our annual Thursday morning Harvard/Yale grudge match to help him knock some rust of by bashing me. John and I hada a remarkably easy time transporting two 15mm armies (Tlaxcallan and Hellenistic Greek) and one 25mm army (the big Hellenistic Greeks) on the plane from Texas. Southwest now has an affordable non-stop flight from Austin to Philadelphia.

The game with Scott was very enjoyable and going fine until I realized that his 12E IrrC javelin armed irreg LMI trash units were more than a match for anything I have because of the barbarian foot rules that give him many extra figures fihting per base frontage. So much for that game. Like 5-1 for Scotty. Greeks nursing their bruised egos and inexperience.

No big deal. Just an exhibition game, and we get Ewans Sassanid Persians tomorrow. Surely we will roll all up 3's and Ewan's dice will be cursed given the morality play obviously involved here. Nope. The big E is just too good. Another 5-1 as I recall. We killed his MC, L, B flank guard unit (the one derek says Ewan never knows what to do with) with a timely 5 unit command forced marching and arriving on that flank. Good tactics, bad strategy as Ewan easily sent reserves to mop up the LC and HC I sent on that particular JEB Stuart ride. And, with his elephants making me uneasy all over, and with hiim having more units than me anyway, the rest of the line gave way eventually.

Then Thursday we pulled out the 15mm Greeks just for the mini. 1st round match was Dave Dietrich (oh please, not again), perhaps the best 15mm player around for the last 20 years. NIce guy. Has beaten me easily for over 20 years, through 3 rules systems, with about 15 different armies. But that's okay, I'm an adult. No reason this can't be different. Dave has brought Sarmatians, everything with a bow and most with a horse. He has way too many units for me, even though I manage to cut don the table with a rocky hill and forest right in the middle (I'm adding one, you know) . Doesn't matter to Dave. Another 5-1. I conveniently forgot the details, but I'm sure he shot me til somebody disordered and then charged in.

Then in the Mini we face Tom Barkus' Achaemenid Persians and got all balled up trying to avoid his plenteous number of scythed chariots. Never got unballed. I think it was 2-1 for Tom, anothe rguy I've been playing with mixed success for 15 years. Finally, our 1200 pt. 15mm Greek force came up against (I can't remember) who had Alenadrian Imperials, and whose hypastpists kept passing waiver tests recoil disordered after recoil disordered, and until he got a pike unit into the flank of one of my following up units. oh oh. Another 1 point loss.

John and I decided to take Friday's Theme event off and hang out in the dealer area/buy stuff/eat/sleep. What a good idea! Had a great time buying a few things we don't need here and there and lusting after painted units. Ran into our buddies the Ohio/Florida McCoppin brothers, who were doing the same and agreed for John to play Matt (OH) and me to play Scott (FLA) a leaisurely exhibition game around dinner time. To be continued
and
Rema

Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject:

I've already had a memory lapse. I simply don't remember who I played round three of the mini. The valiant hypaspists were Jim Biscagni's in round 2 of the 25mm open. And I had no hill against Dave in round one. In both round one and two (against Tom), I rolled for a minor river and missed it. I finally gave up and went for hills in round three against that mystery opponent who beat me. Probably started drinking beer to early Thursday night.
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject:

I had a great time. Getting a prelim game in against Bill meant I had more than a vague sense of what I was doing both as an umpire and when playing in the theme.

The theme was a blast! I played Rich Kroupa, Sean Scott (both running Neo-Assyrians--clearly God's Chosen People were dealing with numerous incursions from the 7th Century BD equivalent of the Evil Empire) and then Rob Turnball with his Mycenean Greeks. I had a great time in all three games and felt the Biblical Warrior rewrite worked fantastic with all the special rules and the barbarian rules.

The games looked pretty good, at least the armies although I worked hard on getting good terrain for my theme games, a balance between portability, playability and good looks.

scott

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject:

I'll post a personal AAR at some point soon, but pending someone posting official final results (*ahem* Scott *ahem*), here's what I rermember:

*NICT was one by Dave Stier (yet again) running Sicilian Hohenstafen (yet again).
* 25mm Theme was won by Robert Turnbull running Greeks (I think Mycenean, though could have been Minoan).
* 15mm Theme was won by Frank Gilson running Neo-Babylonians.
* 15mm Open was won by Sean Scott running Anglo-Norman.

I don't remember who won the Mini Open (which was only in 15mm), or the 25mm Open.

I played 10 Independent States again, failed to make the cut in the opening rounds of the NICT, played in the 25mm Open on Saturday, and played atrociously, losing 2 out of 3 games.

There really is no substitute for practice.

-Mark Stone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: