Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Historical Play

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OGS-Vintage
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Historical Play

Just curious how many of us dedicated gamers out there run hostorical lists in terms of unit sizes, commands, troop ratio and composition.

I spent many years researching various lists from supposedly reliable sources and forced myself to play sometimes distasteful ratios of troops. (with the 2 element minimum in mind except for generals yes, yes, no, no, yes, yes, and ask the umpire).

One of my favourites was the Carthaginian - minimums from sources were often sneered at by opponents but quickly became useful.

Cannot remember which battle (trebia?) but Mago (Margot!!!!) had a tiny ambush command - and I ran it that way - from memory 2 Elements of LI and 2 of MC or HC - hard to use but supremely useful for delaying - no matter how much you shoot the LI it gets a turn or two grace.

I used to love lots of little units but when picking historically tried to average unit sizes out - so often had huge unwieldy units as there was no indication that it was 2 elements wide by 2 deep x 10 units, etc. I'd try to extrapolite maximum size against ratio so for example celts (Irreg LMI would do 1 of 12 elements or 2 of 8, etc - often spare changing 1 of 8, 1 of 2.

AAny thoughts on this?

It truly tested my mettle as a general rather than a rules Lawyer (no offense intended).

Have a good day ya'll
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: historical play

Yo Peter
Ed the hopefully Rash Spartan here again
I bought a book a while back called LOST BATTLES by Phil Sabin. I thought it was about something else but what the author who is a game design person did was reseach on battles and tried to reconstruct them historical. I am not sure if he went into ratio comparison but he did try to determine army size to the sources.
I will look for it.
EdK
joncleaves

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject:

Please help me help you by keeping this topic for rules questions only.

Please use other topics as appropriate for discussions of research and army lists. Thanks!!

Jon, rules dude

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: