Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gaps, charging the 'shoulder'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Gaps, charging the 'shoulder'

Listing rules text here for clarity's sake:
"6.53 Gaps
A gap is defined as the minimum space existing between two things (bodies, non-open terrain features or table edges in any combination). We use the term 'shoulder' to describe the 'thing' that forms each side of a 'gap'. THIS RULE IS ONLY INTENDED FOR USE WHEN A BODY INTENDS TO MOVE BETWEEN TWO 'SHOULDERS' TO A POSITION BEYOND."

The emphasis is mine. My question is...

There are two 'shoulders' (things) forming a 'gap'. At least one of these is an enemy body not in hand to hand contact. The gap is less than two elements wide.

By 6.53 clearly I cannot "move between two 'shoulders' to a position beyond". However, I don't want to do that. I want to Case II flank charge one of the enemy bodies that is a shoulder.

Can I do so? (if I can make the wheel, hit behind the front corner, pivot, line up, and fit) At Cold Wars the answer seemed to be yes, you can...and thus imply that if we have a gap less than two elements wide, that doesn't save untis.

Frank
womble_17
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject:

Movement includes charges etc.

If you can fit - no probs, if you cannot or the rules prohibit - negatory muchachos.

I have often been in a salivating moment where I can see an open flank but know I cannot charge because of the rules.

Don't forget it cuts both ways.

Watch your flanks guys.

Have a good day y'all
joncleaves

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Frank, the way your question is written - and the example you showed me on the table at CW - the answer is yes.

The gap rule is only to show that unit A cannot move between enemy Units X and Y to get to a third unit Z if the space between X and Y is less than 2 elements.

It has nothing to do with charging unit X or unit Y.

J

Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: thanks

Thanks again for your prompt attention.

Things like this come up because we don't generally (most of us) carry the rules in our head...we carry a set of generalizations and 'how we play it' schemas...which are of course not the actual rules Wink.

So, I'll just need to make sure that my unit flanks are either close enough so that a body can't 'fit' in between them...or that I have a small 3rd unit behind the gap but close to the front edge of the 'shoulders' such that again, and enemy unit can't 'fit' in there.

Frank
joncleaves

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Indeed, the rule is designed to penalize a player for not keeping a solid battle line.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: ahah

Got it, and thank you again!

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: