Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Macedonian Pike - Unit size

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Macedonian Pike - Unit size

Good Morning all
I am just returning to the US after three years in South Africa, and have started to think about armies for Cold Wars and Historicon, and one question relateds to unit sizes for pike.
My recent history has all been with 8 element units, however I used to run 6 units of 4 elements very successfully.
My concern about the smaller units is durability, as in aslug fest the bigger units stick around very well. However using combined arms the 8 element units tend to be harder to support, aso not as easy to peel off engaged opponents.
I wondered what people in this forum thought about the two sizes, and why.
I am also interested to know who runs HI front rank pike, vs Mi.
All the best
An as a point of discussion I have not done statistics yet against common opponents - as my books are still in transit, so this is all based on history, have not read the rules in two years
Robert
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: mix

I would think that a mix of 4s and 8s is correct...where the 8s are 'stand alone'...and the 4s are for use in conjunction with elephants or some other combined arms attack.

8s provide defense as well as attack capabilities.

You want at least some pike with 1/4 HI, especially 8s that may have to fight other pike.

This throws off a lot of barbarian foot math and other combat math too, so HI is well worth it.
Terry D
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Welcome back Robert,
The new 120p movement means you don't have take a short range arrow blast before charging, which means you can run the smaller units, or at least a couple of them. The 8E blocks are more durable, I like having one or two large blocks with two smaller ones. It is more tactically flexible.
If you upgrade to HI do half the unit it makes a 2 factor difference against most infantry on the second round of combat when you are disordered.
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Welcome back, Rob!

HI is definitely on the rise, as it becomes more likely that you'll face other pike (and it can make a critical difference when facing El also). I would not do more than 1/4, though, as it gets very very expensive and if your pike are disordered you're in trouble anyway Smile.

I like 8E units; they're resilient and flexible (I like the option to expand to 4 wide both to increase the area over which you present a threat and also to allow for more rapid movement via expand-turn combinations). But 4E is not wrong.
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Pike units

I think I will try both, but really appreciate the input, my partner at CW will have to put up with a lot as I relearn the rules.
However I think it will be fun to learn the new mechanics now in place
All the best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: