Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many elephants are enough - and is bow worth having?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: How many elephants are enough - and is bow worth having?

I am fine tuning for nationals, and am trying to decisde how many units of elephants are enough Razz
Also I can add a rider with bow to my elephants - do people think this is worth the cost.
Pretty sure I know what I will be using, but am getting excited and wanted to get a discuussion going to feed the anticipation for Historicon
All the best
Robert
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Elephants

Elephants are best in 3 elephant units (or sometimes with LI on the base in a 2 elephant unit) so that they can avoid some of the shot for 2 CPF or disordered issues that smaller figure count units have.

They're best armed with Pike.

They're best in the largest number taken you can possibly fit into your army, other necessities aside.
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: How many elephants is enough?

Good comments - I tend to build my lists with as much combat potential as possible and as little light troops as I have to have to enable the combat troops to get to grips.
That being said I almost always take too little light/flank guarding troops - and that balance is where I always struggle - This year I have a strategy tried at Bill Lows (4 games 4 wins)- that I have had criticized in the past - we will see if I can make it work on the big stage.
Do we know how many players there will be in nationals?
All the best
Robert
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject:

No idea how many players will be at the NICT.

As for bow on an elephant...it does make the elephant unit also a shooter as well as an elephant for enemy shooting target priorities...not a huge deal unless your opponent has dense missile fire.

Having 'enough flank troops' to delay or hold is always a concern, sometimes a terrain piece can substitute for 'enough', but you can't guarantee you'll even get that terrain, let alone specifically where it would be (although you can usually cut off one flank successfully).

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: