Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Terrain modifications

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Scenarios
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trajan
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Terrain modifications

Trying to work on campaign rules and figuring out ways to balance Gauls/Germans vs. more civilized troops.

I am pretty new to Warrior, so I am not sure on balance between armies.

Part I
How do even points Germans/Gallic/Illyrians/Spanish. do against an equal force army of Romans, Carthaginians, Macedonians, Greeks?

Part II

Would the following be too unbalancing?

1. an extra piece of terrain for the barbarians.

2. the ability to re-roll 3 placement rolls (for the barbarians or force the invaders to re-roll their placement dice)

Thanks for any input

Matt
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject:

The answers are invariably "it depends".

Of the Barbarian lists, only the Spanish is viable against Romans/Carthagenians/Macedonians and even then you don't have equal shock elements. Sure, Spanish infantry packs a punch but when facing a combined arms army that has lance-armed cav, you either need to be really good or really lucky.

I don't think anything you've proposed is unbalancing. And, you (and we) won't know until somebody tries something along those lines.

Do it and report back!

scott

Historian
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Campaign Terrain Defender wins...

IMHO, in any campaign, the defender should get an advantage in terrain placement, and the invader just needs to deal with it.

I think your Barbarians vs. the Greeks, Carthaginians, or Macedonians is a fair fight. But a straight up battle against the Romans is going to be tough going.

lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Campaign

I would propose you allow some greek and roman allies/depending on how you set it up.
The gauls or the spanish can do well, but they will struggle - you may want to allow reinforcements based on where the fight is - so in Gaul/ spain they get a 10% force advantage or you get higher replenishment numbers.
I am not sure that you cannot beat Romans - they have little in the way of good cavalry in the early periods (pre-imperial)- sounds like fun.
You will need to play some set up games
Good luck and let us know
Robert
Trajan
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject:

scott holder wrote:
The answers are invariably "it depends".

Of the Barbarian lists, only the Spanish is viable against Romans/Carthagenians/Macedonians and even then you don't have equal shock elements. Sure, Spanish infantry packs a punch but when facing a combined arms army that has lance-armed cav, you either need to be really good or really lucky.

So in an equal fight the barbarians are going to have a tough time winning?

What will make things more even? 10% more barbarians? 20%? it seems like more barbarians don't necessarily= victory since if they break they are going to cause other barbs to check their manhood to stay in the fight. . .

scott holder wrote:
I don't think anything you've proposed is unbalancing. And, you (and we) won't know until somebody tries something along those lines.

Will those rules do anything to improve the chances of Gauls fighting in their home province?

If anyone has suggestions I am open to your wisdom.

In the meantime I will try it with what I have and share it out.

Matt
Trajan
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Campaign Terrain Defender wins...

Historian wrote:
IMHO, in any campaign, the defender should get an advantage in terrain placement, and the invader just needs to deal with it.

true. I was considering provincial terrain that was placed in addition to the terrain chosen by each side.

Historian wrote:
I think your Barbarians vs. the Greeks, Carthaginians, or Macedonians is a fair fight. But a straight up battle against the Romans is going to be tough going.

so even #'s barbarians can beat Macedonians/ Carthaginians/Greeks but will really struggle against Romans?

For the record I will be using Polybian Romans

Matt
Trajan
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Campaign

lilroblis wrote:
I would propose you allow some greek and roman allies/depending on how you set it up.

You mean give the Gauls/Germans Spanish Greek or Roman allies?

lilroblis wrote:
The gauls or the spanish can do well, but they will struggle - you may want to allow reinforcements based on where the fight is - so in Gaul/ spain they get a 10% force advantage or you get higher replenishment numbers.

The campaign will have field armies and garrisons. SImilar to the Shogun board game from Milton Bradly. Maybe I could crank up the size of these garrisons for Barbarian home provinces. In my current rule set, conquered barbarian provinces will be more likely to rebel against foreign masters and will never reach a "fully pacified" level.

lilroblis wrote:
I am not sure that you cannot beat Romans - they have little in the way of good cavalry in the early periods (pre-imperial)- sounds like fun.
You will need to play some set up games
Good luck and let us know

So many different views on who will struggle. I am hurriedly collecting 15mm figures. I started with 28mm but realized I would never be able to paint enough to finish this, and switched to 15mm. I have the Romans done and the Carthaginians 1/2 done, which also gets me about 1/4 of the way done with Gallic & Spanish armies too.

I guess I don't need it to be totally balanced, perhaps I can balance things on the campaign end, and let battles fall out as they will . .

The campaign is a long way off, just kicking around ideas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Scenarios All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: