Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Hoplite Theme - discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: The Hoplite Theme - discussion

Alright so I have no idea what lists will be allowed, but initial indications are no Macedonians (check), no Carthaginians (though the hoplite armies can all have spanish troops - so I am not sure that tyhe exclusion makes much difference).
I have no hoplites - so want to start this thread early - so I can paint the neccessary troops, or if hoplites are the only option (not an army I see myself investing in) take the day off.
Based on the army books opponents should be classical lists 3,5,6,7,8,10,11,13,15,16,17,18,22,26 and Biblical warrior #26
Sounds like 22/26/15 may be removed Macedonian and Carthaginian - but would love to hear thoughts on lists.
I can obviously play macedonian, and I guess could use Pikemen as Hoplites - but would prefer using something else - so will see what happens. I would love the Gauls to be included as they are a huge amount of fun to play - and I have them in 15mm
Thoughts?
scott holder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Pikemen as hoplites would be a big no-no. Yes, we have a lot of generic troop types in this game in which a fair number of figures can be used to represent them, Macedonian/Successor pikemen as Hoplites isn't such a case.

I'm not saying that E Carthaginian will be left out. It has obvious historical interaction with the E Hoplite list. It's just that it might end up being a candidate for handicapping. And yes, some of the other lists get components of the E Carthaginian list but the kicker is that they don't get them in such numbers.

The single Biblical Warrior list is Dark Age Greek which we'll probably leave out. Two others we're considering including are BW #27/Cypriot and CW #4/Etruscan.

And as you point out, CW #22/Alex Macedonian and CD #26/Macedonian Early Successor will *not* be included.

And we'll most likely have list restrictions as well, we always do.

scott

lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Hoplite theme lists

AS long as Thracian and Illyrian are included - I can play something , though I am not at all sure they do very well against Hoplites.
Later Achaemenid persian is also an option, would be short and bloody games though.
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Lists - trying to decide what to paint

Given that almost anything I paint will never be used again - trying to get a handle on Later achaemenid or Spartan.
For the later achaemenid I am assuming we cannot use the king of kings?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: