Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wood Plashing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raphael
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Wood Plashing

Hello,

Never having used or faced any form of TF until recently, can I please check a few points;

Is a plashed wood edge declared and placed as normal (as per P121 14.6 12) even though the defending unit is in ambush?

Do troops charging it gain the normal tactical factors?

Do troops attacking, or defending, it get normal additions for rear rank figures eligible to fight?

If the charging unit (Reg C LHI) forces the defender to recoil, can it expand as normal when following-up over the TF?

If the defending unit (Irreg C LMI) causes the attacker to break-off, is a pursuit move still mandatory?

Thanks,

Raphael
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Is a plashed wood edge declared and placed as normal (as per P121 14.6 12) even though the defending unit is in ambush?

Yes

Do troops charging it gain the normal tactical factors?

Unless I'm missing something here, yes.

Do troops attacking, or defending, it get normal additions for rear rank figures eligible to fight?

Yes but keep in mind the restrictions on weapon usage in woods.

If the charging unit (Reg C LHI) forces the defender to recoil, can it expand as normal when following-up over the TF?

Yes.

If the defending unit (Irreg C LMI) causes the attacker to break-off, is a pursuit move still mandatory?

Yes. That being said, we might look at this and see if adding a 3rd exception to the "who must pursue" rule on page 94 is warranted.

Raphael
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Scott,

Very much obliged for the prompt reply.

Apologies for the very basic nature of the questions, but the player using the plashing is new to the rules and I thought it helpful to get some definite answers because the rules he is currently using handles the situation differently.

Thanks,

Raphael
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject:

No problem at all. In fact, just hearing about somebody teaching a newbie how to play the game is good. Cool

Also, the whole pursuit question is a good one and could impact just about any TF situation with Irr foot defending it. On the surface, it doesn't make sense that such troops would be forced to pursue. Like I said, it's something I need to ponder one and possibly come up with an X rule.

scott

Raphael
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Scott,

I look forward to any X-Rule you might come up with to cover this situation, as previous amendments have both served to give the charging Ancient British Warbands more impact, and also made the Roman response much more lethal.

For what it's worth, after the game we couldn't decide which was more probable; a) that having gone to all the trouble of plashing the wood they would so easily abandon it, or; b) despite the plashing the sight of Romans retreating was too much to resist and their barbarian indiscipline got the better of them and they would pursue anyway.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: