Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stroudwater Field: Day 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Stroudwater Field: Day 2

Stroudwater, Day Two:

The day dawned bright, but no brightness showed on Memnon’s face. He still smarted from his rout the day before (first round). He had failed Leonidas.

He gazed upon the Stroudwater plain and looked for his Light Cav to report back on enemy movements. Suddenly, he could feel the presence of someone approaching. Xenophon looked up at Memnon.

“How goes it, my friend. Today is a new day, forget about yesterday,” said Xenophon, consolingly.

“Yes, hopefully the gods will look more favorably on me today.”

“On me also, today it might be me.”

Soon their attention was directed to an approaching unit of Light Cav. The lead rider reined up and reported, “the Etruscans are forming up, with their left on the hills from yesterday.”

“Good. Go to Leonidas. Give him your full report. I don’t want to face him yet.”

Soon Leonidas marched up and confronted them. “Memnon, my friend, make your own reports! I need you today. A rout could happen to anyone. I need your sword and companionship. We all need to restore our honor.”

“Sorry, Leonidas, today IS another day.”

“True, and on the same field. We will learn from the harsh lessons Lilroblis (Robert Turnbull) taught us yesterday. My command will still take the right, but the Spartiates/Lakedaimonians will deploy more toward the center. Now, we will have three blocks of Spartiates/Lakedaimonians from our reinforcements.

6El Lake/Spart + Leonidas
4El Spanish Reg C Htw,jls,sh
4El Peltast Reg C Lts,jls,sh
6El Allied Hoplites Reg C, MI
6El Javelinmen Reg C, LI

6El Ex-Cyrean (10000) Hoplites +Xenophon Reg B MI
4El Spanish Reg C Htw,jls,sh
4El Peltast Reg C Lts,jls,sh
6El Javelinmen Reg C, LI
6El Thespian Hoplites Reg C, MI

2El Greek HC, JLs, + Memnon
2El Greek LC, Jls
2El Greek LC, Jls
Pts 1612

He walked forward and viewed the field again.

“Yes. Xenophon, start your deployment. Memnon, the gods be with us and remember today is a day of redemption and another day.”

Leonidas turned and motioned to his Light Infantry.

“Take the hills on the right. The peltasts will cover your left.” “Damaphades! Move your Allied Hoplites to their left, and the Spanish will cover yours in turn.”

Then he stepped into the moving column of Spartiates/Lakedaimonians and marched off to the left of the Spanish followed by the two other Spartiate/Lakedaimonian columns.

Soon Xenophon completed the front with the “Ex-Cyreans (10000), more Spanish and Peltasts, and finally the Thespians, with the Light Infantry moving around the Volcano.

The line moved forward slowly. Knowing that this day would be a day of decision, day of redemption.

Leonidas jogged forward from the ranks, raised his spear and roared loudly, “Spartans! Allies! Today, we regain our pride. Today is a new day. The pain of yesterday will be forgotten. The gods have given us a new chance for glory.”

All along the line spears raised in assent.

Quickly, he returned to the column.

Vel Hathisna leapt into his chariot and raced away toward his forming army, Heavy Cav following close behind. Soon he was racing along his battle line. He peered across the field at the Spartans.
A gratified grin crossed his face as he signaled his charioteer to rein up his chariot. Slowly, he turned to his massed columns, elevated his spear and raised his hands to the heavens.

“Praise and give thanks to the gods, that YOU were chosen today, to exact revenge upon the enemies of our blood, a revenge of old. Let no other thought enter your mind. Advance!!”

The charioteer wheeled the chariot behind the centerline followed by the Heavy Cav.

The Etruscan line eased forward. Each man required no further incentive. Each knew the ancient story, each remembered the ancient tale recounted by Etruscan mothers as they rocked their son’s cradle.

Grandfathers had told of the covetous and arrogant Spartan Menelaus and how he pillaged and destroyed their ancestral home of Troy, how the hero Aeneas fled the home of their forefathers.

The two armies marched slowly but resolutely forward.

These needed no loud screams, battle cries or the cacophony of horns, shouts of the undisciplined barbarians. Only the lilting air of flutes that kept the cadence was heard.

The steely, stoic stare of drilled, trained and seasoned campaigners was etched on each man’s face. Each knew what their duty was this day.

The first to strike were the Greek Hoplites. They released their Ekdromoi, who lashed out as so many serpent tongues to spit away the Etruscan lights as so much chaff. Soon to be followed by the impact of heavy Spartan and Etruscan columns crashing into one another.

The two armies grappled as two great wrestlers, who knew there would be no quarter asked or given. Hour after excruciating hour, the time passed.

Apollo in his fiery chariot raced across the clear sky. Suddenly his focus was diverted earthward. He surveyed the conflict, where neither side was able to overcome the other. As he approached the final quarter of his course, he turned his gaze toward Olympus.

“Father Zeus!!! Come decide!!!”

Zeus looked down, rose from his seat; he stood above the fray and extended his arm. Soon the scales of decision appeared. They swayed in equilibrium.

Out of the clouds the Greek god of war, Ares fully armoured, flew to the Spartan plate and dropped the token of fresh Spartan reinforcements, and for a time Leonidas prevailed.

Leonidas fighting now out of instinct, felt the Etruscan unit to his front hesitate. “NOW!!!!NOW!!!!! he cried, and the Spartan column crunched forward. The Etruscans recoiled and broke. Leonidas’ men leaned forward, but were too weary to pursue. The proximate Etruscans held.

Soon a mist visualized from the vapor, the Etruscan god Laran tossed the token of superior Etruscan armor and shields, forged by Vulcan himself, upon the Etruscan plate. Vel rode up opposite the 10000 and pressed his men on.

The 10000, drained by two days of hard fighting, faltered and the spirit evaporated from them. Xenophon endeavored to hold them, but was carried away with the flood. Soon the adjacent Spanish followed. Only Memnon, though recoiling, managed to hold the Etruscan Heavy Cav and stabilize the line.

The Scales balanced again.

Zeus looked again.

Imperceptibly, but by degrees, a form materialized, it was Hestia.

She extended her hand and in it was a simple token. She remembered the cries and pleas of the Trojan women, the prayers of its children. She saw the flames that devoured the innocents and the fleeing Aeneas carrying is aged father.

“This is the token of Justice,” she said softly. “Justice trumps Spartan Pride and Etruscan Revenge.”

The Etruscan Heavy Cav circled around the hills and caught the Spartan Light Infantry, engaged with the Etruscan Lights, in the flank and they routed.

Zeus took the scales and proclaimed, “Make an end.”

Leonidas, leaning on his spear, listening to reports, looked up and breathlessly ordered, “Back.”

The line disengaged. The Etruscans stared wearily and spent, drained of revenge, looked at the receding line, unwilling to pursue.

Apollo finished his course and the light faded.

The Etruscans and Spartans returned to their camps.

Vel Hathisna broke camp the next day and reported to Lilroblis, as affirmed by chroniclers, that the Spartans were defeated. However, Leonidas still held the coast and the seaport of Portlandia.
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Etruscan/ Spartan Match

This was great evidence of what we can expect in the theme - very long battles - they fought hand to hand for 6 turns before the game neded in a bloody victory (3-2?) for the Etruscans
In the same time we played out two games to completion between the Carthaginians and the Berbers - no quick wins would be my bet
Trajan
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Very well written report. I love the scales & gods tipping it this way and that. Some day Leonidas will get his victory.
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject:

Spoken Well , My Trajanius
We (you and me) will meet soon.
The gauntlet is thrown.
Choose your army. Wink
Ed/Leonidas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: