Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thessaly Part 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Thessaly Part 2

Gallic
Maeve+IrB 2HLCh 1/wJls
2El IrB 2HLCh 1/wJls
2El IrB 2HLCh 1/wJls
2El HC IrA Jls sh ½ IrB MC
9El LMI IrA Jls sh (6E)IrC LMI JLS sh(3E)
4El LI IrC Jls sh
4El LI IrC Jls sh

Mattwebsterix+ IrB 2HLCh 1/wJls
2El IrB 2HLCh 1/wJls
2El IrB 2HLCh 1/wJls
12El LMI IrA Jls sh (6E)IrC LMI JLS sh(3E)
4El LI IrC Jls sh
4El LI IrC Jls sh

Well, here he stood. He could make out across the plain Maeve’s chariot racing across the field deploying her war bands. He surveyed the battleground. Three large woods covered the right flank with a large wood on the left flank. She was moving two war bands into the woods on his right with a small light infantry unit on the end. Across the open ground in the middle three war bands stretched to the left wood with Light Chariots interspersed between the second and third with Maeve’s Heavy Cav on the shoulder of the right wood hard on the first war band. Mattwebsterix moved his war bands into the left wood with his Heavy Cav and Light Chariots on the far left. Skirmishers moved in front of the middle war bands.
Xenophon turned to Damaphades.
“You will command over half of the army. Move your Light infantry into the wood on the right and keep those Gauls busy.”
Then pointing to the right center of the field hard on the right wood.
“You see Maeve there. I will take our best troops: the Phliasian Hoplites, which I will join, and the Thracian foot. We will try to punch through that war band.”
Turning to Crodes, the Thessalian allied general, he said.
“You will keep your Heavy Cav and Light cav with the Thracian Light Cav behind me in reserve. Once I have opened the hole, you will pour through and roll up the lines. Wait for my signal.”
He nodded and strode away.
“Damaphades, line up your command with you and your Allied Hoplites in the center. Continue the line left with the Peltasts between each Hoplite block. Hold the line.”
Damaphades drew down his helmet and turned away.

As Maeve and Mattwebsterix watched as the Greeks deployed, Maeve smiled most cunninly.
“How transparent these Greeks are. Observe! They plant their best troops opposite me. If we break them, the rest will fold.
Raising her spear, she breathed, “I accept the complement.”
They both chuckled.
“Mattwebsterix, wait with you command until the appropriate MOMENT.”She stressed with a sly smile.
Mattwebsterix threw back his head and laughed heartily as he motioned to his driver and his chariot galloped away to his right.
The battle opened with the war bands in the woods on the Greek right tangling with the Greek Lights with the Lights getting the worst and one routing.
Xenophon pushed forward with the Thracians.
Maeve glanced to her left and motioned with her spear. The Heavy Cav to her front raised their shields and charged forward. Their war cries and dust filled the air as they bore down on the Thracians. The Thracians looked up and raised their rhomphaia and waited. The Cavalry came and the Thracians as reapers in a wheat field scythed their crop, a crop of death on the Gauls.
The Cavalry broke off and trotted back tired and bloodied.
Maeve frowned and watched as the Phliasians and Thracians moved closer.
She again raised her spear and the two war bands the Voscontii and Nervii facing the Thracians and the Phliasians raised their shields in turn and charged forward with earsplitting shouts and horns chattering. Again the reaper of death scythed the oncoming Gauls. The Phliasians also held the Gallic assault. The Gauls recoiled gored and tired.
Maeve’s expression changed, anger and concern flashed across her eyes.
Xenophon also gazed over but his look was one of alarm. The Thracians held but were now far fewer.

Mattwebsterix chariot slowed to a halt. He dispatched messengers to his war bands. They slowly moved to the edge of the wood and rested on their weapons. Hold and Wait.
He moved slowly to the far right edge of the wood and mouthed quietly the mystified order: ”HOLD and WAIT”.

Simultaneously, Crodus saw a gap in the line between the Allied Hoplites of Damaphades and Xenophon’s Phliasians. He pushed his Light Cav into the gap and beyond, they shook out. He saw the Voscontii Light Chariots as an easy target to open up the line. The two dueled, exchanged shots and clashed. As with most things in life, the turning point comes with a small insignificant combat. The Light Cav got the worst and routed. The Chariots raced after them through the gap and behind the hoplite line.
Damaphades instantly saw the trouble as he tried to rally his troops as routed friend and enemy chariots raced passed them, the dust and dirt of victor and vanquished flew up into their faces but failed. Concurrently, they whirled by so close to Crodes’s companions that the Companions were sprayed by the salvia of the sweaty chariot horses. Crodes twisted around with horrid as he observed his companion’s faces fade white. Horses wheeled around and chaos reigned.
Trajan
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject:

Good stuff Ed. You can make me Acco leader of the Senones to make it sound more historical.

I forgot my chariot victory in the center. Those little twists of fate are what great victories are built on!

Write on!
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Great!!!
Acco of the Senones!!
It is Big Guy
Ed/Xenophon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: