Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New World Theme at Historicon 2013
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: New World Theme at Historicon 2013

New World Warrior will be the theme at Historicon 2013. In 2011, I did an informal poll of players and was surprised at the number of New World lists that were out there. We've toyed with doing this theme for a long time now, so we're ready to give it a whirl.

We'll make some changes to the existing armies in New World Warrior but nothing like the massive theme-only changes we made for the Hoplite Theme in 2012.

Although not posted yet, we will include a Hawaiian list, a new actual New World list, Huaxtecs, and a dedicated Spanish/Portuguese list. The last one will be derived from the existing Spanish contingent in the Aztec list but fleshed out a bit and will also include a fair number of "natives".

We'll also try to get an idea of who has what lead in order to provide loaner armies for those who want to play but just can't do up 1600 pts of New World stuff between now and next July. No promises tho.

April 2013 Update: Beta draft of tourney lists now attached to this posting. you must be logged in to download.
scott

Last edited by scott holder on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:01 pm; edited 5 times in total
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: New world warrior

Any chance we will include Africa? The idea of playing Inca against Aztec has me wishing I could watch paint dry
We need enough variety to make it fun - maybe foot armies only?
Just saying what a lot of folks were saying at H'con about the level of excitement
srawls
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject:

My knee jerk reaction was to agree with Rob. Upon further reflection, however, this theme has the big advantage that a lot of players already have armies that should fit in this theme. I'm willing to see what the list guys come up with to make this more interesting as far as special rules go. Besides, I'm pretty sure the Conquistador list they are making will see a lot of use.

Steve
scott holder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Theme ain't changing. Rob, you could always ump it. Wink
Srzly. In the past, folks with no armies or no interest (Ewan comes to mind) umped on Friday.

Also, the way most of you meta game Warrior, I have no doubt that somebody will find what they consider a concoction to upset the "paint drying" dynamic. Plus, look at the Hoplite Theme. We amazingly set it up so that the game wasn't simply a big infantry scrum which can be another "paint drying" exercise.

On Fri, I finished my first draft of the "Viceroy Spanish" list. It'll go to Bill and Frank next week. It will include Indians. In fact, you'll hafta have Indians in order to get to 1600 pts. Which is more than accurate.

Like I said, we've been discussing this theme for at least a dozen years and it's time. Not every theme is to everybody's liking which means in 2014-15, I'll circle back around to something "popular". Last year I tentatively suggested The 100 Years War as the 2013 Theme but that sounds like an idea for 2014. I'm also tempted to revisit the Caliph Theme because it has such a broad swath of armies and was surprisingly popular when we did it a bazillion years ago, plus, a bazillion years ago we generally mapped out "Theme Years":

http://www.nasamw.net/warrior_unused_historicon_theme_army_li.htm

Finally, we should do a "Dogs of War" tourney be it as a theme or as a Mini/Open.

At this point, I'm simply musing, don't hold me to anything.

scott

Historian
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Dogs of War List

Is the 40% "D" class requirement for "Dogs of War" list in figures, or points?
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Africa Theme?

I think Rob has a point, an Africa theme would be very interesting to see. I got a peek at some of the Africa Warrior draft lists and I thought they looked like interesting lists. Interesting enough to make me shop around for figures that can be used as Tuareg camel lancers, those seemed to show up in several lists. So far in 25mm I've found Old Glory and Castaway arts camel lancers, anyone know of more?
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: African figures

I just acquired some from Derek - not sure of manufacturer. Seriously - how set are the African Warrior lists - as am tempted, but dont want to acquire an army only to have it invalidated.
I remain scared by my Assyrian army painted and based and invalidated - though I loke the new list.
All the best
Robert
scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject:

I can't speak to African Warrior in terms of "finalized". That's Bill's baby. Of course Bill has trouble ever finalizing lists. Smile

I'm certainly amenable to doing some kind of African Theme down the line, just not some mixed up jumble with New World.

Dogs of War:

http://www.fourhorsemenenterprises.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12459&highlight=dogs

Bill Low

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Kai zen, guys. Constant Improvement. Wink

But please pay attention to what is "final" for an event. We usually don't get to that point until a couple of months in advance; if you are building an army with something specific thing in mind, feel free to check in and see if it can be locked down early.

If you are reluctant to check in, b/c there is a concern about "tipping us off" to a potentially unbalancing nuance, well then of course you are on your own. (This is emphatically NOT the case with Rob.)

Rob: You are entitled to be a little acunto about the Spartans; not sure what you are referring to about the Assyrians. Want to contact us offline?

Appreciate all the interest; thanks, guys.
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Themes/ lists etc.

The assyrians were my own fault - the list that came out from England years ago led to me buying the entire army in 25's - it was then decided (probably correctly) that it was OTT- although not as good as the current assyrians (thogh that is debateable) - and I sold them again.
I am not worried about teh Spartans, I just dont want to spend the time painting a 28mm army and then find that tweaks make it no longer fun for me to play.
This was not intended as a dig for anyone - I love the work you guys do, and often your tweaks may make the army more accurate or more in line with most peoples play style, but it may kill the flavor I was chasing.
So I want to be sure (within reason) that I am building an army that is complete (untila a period wide revision occurs) and not still in test.
All the best (so sayoing I am in tyhe process of aqcuiring 60 masai warriors)
Robert
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Umpiring next years theme - I will happily volunteer

Scot
I am game - let me know please - I am more than happy to ump (I have certainly played more than enough while others ump - so am happy to do it unless someone else has a burning desire)
I prefer playing, but it is my turn -unless as I say someone does not want to play
Robert
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: I will be ump at this event

Folks
If you want to ues some non normal strategem and want to be sure we are on the same stage before the event - so no suprises - my way of umpiring leaves limited tim efor debate - if I am comfortable that I know the answer I will rule it so - so be aware my goal is to facilitate fast play - I may be wrong on occasions but I will be quick.
All the best
Robert
scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject:

A heads up: go to the first post and you'll see we've uploaded the latest draft lists for the Theme.

scott

jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Quilted Cotton Armor

May the Inca (or any other South American Indian) cavalry use Quilted Cotton Armor or is that being represented by being HC instead of MC? I was curious because the Almagrist HK are allowed to add QCA, would seem to be a reasonable option for the Inca cavalry as well.

Thanks
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: More questions for Inca tweaks

Any interest in giving the various Inca lists a list rule allowing two sections of stone wall to be deployed in forward zones? The other two lists (2, 29) that have up to four sections of stone wall available have this list rule.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: