Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cold Wars 2013 Results and AAR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Cold Wars 2013 Results and AAR

Mini Open (25mm)

1) Scott McDonald, Timurid, 14
2) Greg Hauser, Ghaznavid, 12
3) Scott Holder, Thracian, 12
4) Chris Damour, Fedual French, 8
5) Phil Gardocki, Anglo-Irish, 7
6) Rich Kroupa, Early Hungarian, 7
7) Chris Schulitz, Catalan Company, 5
8) Bill Low, Tepanec, 3

Doubles (25mm)

1) Dave Stier and Chris Damour, Wallachian, 13
2) Greg Hauser and Chris Schulitz, Ghaznavid, 11
3) Scott McDonald and Mike Kelly, Timurid, 10
4) Bill Low, Tepanec, 10
5) Eric Turner, Yuan, 10
Phil Gardocki and Jim Bisigani, Anglo-Irish, 10
7) Fred Stratton and Rich Picharczyk, Alexandrian Imperial, 8
8) Don Carter and Mike Byrne, Nikephorian Byzantine, 8
9) Todd and James Kaeser, Early Indian, 7
10) Rick and Alex Kroupa, Khmer, 3

Sportsman: Phil Gardocki
Best Camp: Todd Kaeser
Prize Sponsor: Silver Eagle Wargame Supplies

Photos are in the Album section (link is at the top of the page) in the Tournament folder.

Ten teams fielded a total of 48 elephants! Just three teams did not field elephants and yes, they did play each other in the 1st round. Team Kroupa fielded 16 elephants in Doubles...didn't seem to help. :P

I'll have more on my experience further down.

scott

Last edited by scott holder on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject:

As everybody knows, I drive back for this, typically with gaming buddies two hours east of me in St Louis. I drive in Wed night to one guy's house, we game for a bit, then hit the sack, wake up around 2:30am Thu morning, load up the vehicle, then start the drive.

There were 4 of us this year and we rented the poster vehicle for the Modern American Suburban Panzer: A Ford Expedition, Extended Length Version. It has a variable cylinder engine meaning that some of the 8 cylinders shut down when cruising at highway speed, meaning despite the hugeness of this beast, we still got around 17mpg overall on the trip.

We don't typically need all that friggin room but between the 4 of us, we did bring back 6 cases of Yuengling beer (Lincoln Bevarage still had one case of their seasonal Bock left so I was a happy camper). Then another gamer who flew there from STL asked us to haul some of his crap back. We thought it was one picture (large and framed). We ended up with 6 boxes of stuff so by the time we loaded up for the trip home, the 3rd row seats were folded down and we were packed to the gills.

But Scott, when are you gonna talk about gaming?

As you can see from the tourney results, I actually played in the Mini. We had an odd number and we counted on Bill Low to bring spare armies. He shows up and we ask "so, did you bring any spare armies?" Bill: "Yes, but not as many as I usually bring." Then somebody asked "how many is 'not as many as usual'" and Bill rattles off NKE, Caananite, Nike Byz, Thracian and at least two more I'm forgetting. I looked thru all of them thinking "I would need to think about using almost all of these." Keep in mind my last Warrior game was at the Theme at Hcon 12 so I went with Thracians. Wow, what a list!

It was perfect for the Mini and the deployment system. Bill had done the list already (even better) and the army was built around 5 units of 12E Thracian LMI, all JLS, Sh (no 2HCW) with the front rank of Irr A. With 42 scouting points, in two games I could deploy to the center line of the table, move forward with unease-impunity and hope to smack units in the face. That worked in all three games. In Game 2 against Greg Hauser and his Ghaznavids, (I lost 4-2), I even had his CinC shaken in the middle (blown waver test). He managed to recover from shaken (one of my big blocks was still cleaning up from a previous melee and rallying from disorder) so I couldn't pin him before he unshook. He was still disordered and facing away from the front line so I got up to charge reach. If he blows the counter, that 2E CinC on an elephant unit will die a quick death when that Thracian block of LMI loonies hits and the game most like goes 3-3 or even 4-2 my way depending on waver tests.

He rolled the counter. Crying or Very sad

I had a blast and wasn't called away very often during the course of three rounds. The one drawback is I forgot to bring my new playsheet (the one I posted here a month ago). I had it laminated and then forgot to bring it. Not that I expected to use it but the result was having to use the playsheet that comes with the rules and I really don't like it (can't read the any of the tables for example). Oh well, at least Jim Bisigani had one so I felt my efforts weren't totally wasted!

Doubles games went pretty well. As already noted, almost everybody brought elephants and lots of em. The Timurid incendiary camel carts were used often and despite a raised eyebrow or two about how they work, the mechanics of how they work is (now) well thought out. Believe me, if you're playing Scott McDonald with these and he explains to you how they work, he knows what he's talking about.

Like last year, we had an odd number of teams so again like last year, Bill Low and Eric Turner each played solo. I keep trying to get Tom Barkus to at least be half of a team in 25mm (he's 15mm) but alas, he's being stubborn about it. Confused

Todd Kaeser was there with his ten year old son James. I think we all agree that Warrior isn't the perfect model for 10 year old boys. For that matter, I don't think much of what I see tournament wise (be it ancients or the other stuff) is great for a 10 year old but I don't have kids so wtf do I know. I did think that army selection could help or hinder this. Armies that are elephant and chariot heavy means more involved combat calculations. I'd posit that an army like the Thracians, built around those 12E LMI units with Irr A in the front rank would be a better fit for a father/son team. You either win big or lose big...quickly. Then you can take a break, do something else and come back for the next round.

Todd's Indian elephant camp was Teh Awesome but then, Todd's been making superlative camps for years now. Greg Hauser painted an element for Dave Stier as part of his NICT prize. It was Dracula for the Wallachians. Now, did I get a a chance to see it? Nooooooooooo.

Overall, like always, we had some great army eye candy on both days. Terrain is much better and we're gonna add some plateau hills for Hcon (thanks to Rich Kroupa). On the preset terrain front, I'm happy with it because it simply eliminates one more minor time suck in setup plus the mental aspects of it. With preset, you get what you get. I found in the Mini that having both LC units on the table wasn't feasible for the terrain. Took me the first game to figure that out, thus, for the second two games, I flank marched em. Both arrived and both killed stuff. Again, it's not something I'd normally consider but preset terrain presents a different set of challenges.

Now I just have to paint the Spanish and Aztec figures I purchased to fill out what I already have and I'll be (un)ready for the Theme!

scott

Last edited by scott holder on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Sounds great

Glad to hear it...sorry I couldn't attend. It will be great to get more AARs!
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Cold wars

Thanks for the write up - looking forward to Historicon - need to paint my aztecs in case I have to play as well as umpire - Scott prior to the time I'll let veryone know how I umpire - and please if you have questions about a troop type or trick you want to try - nows a great time to ask. I will happily live with Scotts view o it- if however I get asked in teh tournament - I'll look quickly and give you a fast response - it may or may not be correct - but it will be done as even handedly as possible.
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject:

lilrobis - do you homework on circulating combatants. Its a nice nuance, but geez it gets complicated quickly.
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: circulating combatants

I will do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: