Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modeling Sand Dunes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Modeling Sand Dunes

This isn't specifically for Warrior although as we slowly develop our horde of preset terrain, it might be something we put into the mix from time to time.

I want to model sand dunes. I don't want a single piece area of dunes because of the obvious pain when it comes to teetering your figure stands on them not to mention transport. My idea is not unlike how we're doing woods and brush;

1) Heavily flocked felt area
2) Something on a small base, many of which can be put overtop the heavily flocked felt area.

That way, you get a nice visual element but can move everything out of the way as you march troops thru to glorious victory there or elsewhere.

Microart has a series of bases that would be sorta suitable for dunes. The one I have in mind is 120mm in diameter:

It doesn't have enough relief plus each one is $20 a pop. Not that I need a crapload of these...

My favorite pre-done dune, however, is a real blast from childhood:

That's part of a 1/76 Matchbox Panzer III Ausf L kit. Heh heh, okay the tread marks don't help but I could easily fill those in with drywall mud, then lightly flock the whole thing or simply paint it.

I'm toying with the idea of taking some insulating foam (I have craploads of it lying around). It's about the right height of the Matchbox dune, then cut it into the basic dune shape, then cover it with drywall mud and hopefully sculpt that wave pattern you see on both photos.

About 6-8 of those would give me enough single dunes to cover probably 2-3 areas.

scott

scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject:

Success! No, not getting an old Matchbox Panzer III model and filling in the tank treads on the sand dune.

I found a company in Britain that makes perfect dunes:

http://www.amera.co.uk/index.php
(Amera Plastic Mouldings).

A photo:

You can order them direct from Amera or Knoble Knight carries them here in the USA.

Now I'm struggling with how to finish them. I have a fine sand (it's white beach sand). I could attempt to affix the sand flocking, then paint it some kind of orangey-tan color, dry brush, then clear coat. Or just paint em.

Anyway, Amera has all kinds of terrain/building offerings.

scott

scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Another potential finishing approach is to paint them with something like Games Workshop's "Rough Coat" textured spray paint. Better still, go to a big box hardware store like Lowes or Home Despot and buy a can of textured spray paint there. I'm doing that this week.

I'll post photos when I'm done.

scott

jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Sand dune thoughts

After finishing my 50 shades of brown Zulu army, I was thinking about Tuareg camel lancers next so building some sand dunes seems very reasonable. In warrior, the sand dunes are always near a major water feature though, not out in the middle of Sahara desert. So shouldn't an area of sand dunes look more like sand dune along the beach in Florida instead massive sand dunes in the middle of the desert? White beach sand would then be vary appropriate along with a light sprinkling of green flocking to represent sea oats and prickly pear cactus.
scott holder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Jamie:

Correct about the major water feature and yes, Rich modeled something along the lines of what you're describing albeit with desert sand colors not beach sand colors.

Now for an update on my dunes. Man this was easy. What made it easy was this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-12-oz-Stops-Rust-Multi-Colored-Textured-Spray-Paint-239122/100670368#.UV6_UpE4S5I

You do a light spray pass or three on the dunes, you don't even need to prime. Let the white act as shading and think of using this spray can as an air brush. It's a bit hard because this stuff comes blasting out of the can.

But you can't argue with the look:

No need for clear coating, dry brushing or any other shading. Just spray this stuff onto the dunes, taking care not to make it a thick coat and you're set.

This textured stuff from Rust-Oleum comes in all kinds of colors so I can see lots of terrain and building uses for it.

scott

Bill Low

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject:

They look great!

Just checked the Amera site ... may be missing something, but it looks as if the dunes are listed there as 15mm scale.

Are they suitable in size for a 25mm terrain feature?
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject:

They'll be fine.

Sure, they're not huge but put 4 of these onto some kind of outline and they will represent dunes very well regardless of scale.

scott

Bill Low

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Okay, thanks. Will give it a try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: