Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Winter Warrior in KC, Round 1 and 2 and 3!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd Schneider
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: My Winter Warrior in KC, Round 1 and 2 and 3!!

Please see my thread in the list section on the details of my list.

There’s something amusing in the fact that after not playing with any sort of mounted the past two and a half years, the moment my army is down a good friend comes over and says “Using the Horse Crutch, eh?” What makes that statement funnier, at least to me, is the fact that looking at my friends army, I see nothing but Elephants and foot…

A couple of days I played Dave Huber in my first round of Winter Warrior. Dave is new to the game, but is running a list that I think will help him learn the game quite well, Hohenstaufen Sicilian. So it was to be my fanatical Muslims with their Fanatical Christian Allies against his Fanatical Muslims and his fanatical Christian allies.

His list, IIRC, was 4 units of LMI Bow, 6 Units of EHK/HK including generals, 3 units of Moog’s, a LC unit, and some LI.

Fr this first time in years I actually had more scouting points, but my happiness in this was soon set aside as he deployed his first command, a Sub General. :-\

Anyways, the Map was fairly open. There was a Brush on the left, and a Hill (Gentle) and Brush on the right.

I set my army up as follows:
On the back line were the Spanish, Knights and Moogs interspersed to support the Berber Spear, who were up front. On the center line in the Brush I had a unit of slingers, I also had a unit of slingers on top of the hill, and my third slinger unit was about a foot to the left. Most of Cav was on the left, one unit of Ghuzz was on the right, and I had a 4E unit of LC on a flank march.

Dave set up his LMI on the flanks, with his Knights and Moogs in the center. He had his LC on my right flank, and some LI in the center.

First turn was relatively uneventful, we both marched forward, did some desultory prep shooting, and that was that. Turn 2 My flank march arrived on my left, earliest its arrived in awhile. Dave brought his LI out of ambush in the brush on the left to keep it close. The rest of the movement was us trying to keep everything in line. After some more prep shooting, my other LI L unit charged his LI, which passed their waver. He rolled short, and I rolled long, so I caught them and broke them in the combat.

Bound three and Dave made a mistake many of us have done in the past, he moved one of his moog units ahead of his supporting knight units, and it wasn’t in skirmish. I was able to line up one of my knight units in such a way that I would be able to charge it and his knights wouldn’t be able to respond. I was also able to charge the one knight unit e had that I felt would be able to influence that battle next bound.

My notes are incomplete on the next few bounds. I broke his Moog Unit, and he passed all but one of his wavers, a Sub Gen Knight unit that shook, but I couldn’t take advantage of. My knights rolled up against his, but not enough to do anything other than push him back, for the rest of that game combat was a slap fight, as I couldn’t expand to get the number necessary for a win, at least that’s what I think. I’ll have to look over that again for future reference.

The next few bounds I was able to get a flank charge into a knight unit, which broke and caused a waver, and my Flank LC unit broke the LI it was facing, meanwhile Dave had countered one of his LMI units and used my other LC as targets quite well.

In the last bound of the game there was a flurry of final charges and combats. One of his Moog units hit one of my big spear units, and rolled up breaking it. One of my Moog units was able to charge one of his knights, and even though I rolled up, he rolled up more, and that unit broke. One of my knight units broke one of his Sub Gen knight units, I rolled up, he rolled down three, and he had a couple of units fail wavers. The last round of the game was quite bloody, there were more failed wavers in that last round than any other.

Game ended as a 3-3 tie, I had 525 points to his 414.

Hindsight being 20/20, I should have ignored his LI in the brush, and marched me LC CinC over to prompt him to retire away from the LMI and towards Daves edge of the table. Had I done that, I think I would have been able to get to Daves camp before he could have done anything about it, or it would have been close, and honestly if he had pulled away an LMI B unit to deal with that threat, it would have made my job in the centerline easier. Dave played a good game in the center, he got some matchups he wanted, and knew there were going to be a couple of combats he had to fight even though they were even odds, because simply because not fighting them would have hurt him in the long run. Hanging the Moog’s out is a mistake we have all made with foot at one pointing time or another, but he recovered well from it, and he played a good game overall. The game was a fun, bloody affair, and although I know we both screwed up some rules, I think it’s safe to say we both had a good time and learned a few things.

Final score was 3-3, with failed wavers on both our sides in the final round adding to that.

Thanks for reading,
Todd

Last edited by Todd Schneider on Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Todd Schneider
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Round Two, versus Will Muckel and his Berbers.

As expected, my game with Will was a bloody affair. He is running Berber's as well, but Our lists aren't similar, he runs fewer LI and MI units, larger LC units, has a couple of Irr A HC units, but we both had the maximum number of knights and Moogs. Smile

I got a Major Water feature on the left, and a Brush on the center line. Will got a Brush on his left, a brush on my back middle, and an open on my right flank.

I am not sure we played the following correct (see the forum), but Will's Spanish SubGen was Unreliable, and did not interpret his orders correctly, in fact he rolled a "1" and went to wait orders. Bounds 1, 2 and 3 IIRC, Will's CinC sent out a new order, each time Will rolled a 1 for interpretation...till he went and got a new die from Phil and fianlly got an order through.

"Que?" seemed to be the Spanish Generals thought of the day until bound 4.

Setup, as I recall, was as Follows.

The brush will placed was in the rear center. I placed all my close order foot, most of my Knights, and Moogs to the left of this brush.
In the brush I had my other Two Moogs. On the right I had a Knight unit, and all my LC. I thought about a flank march, but the last time I played my flank arrived on turn 2, I thought if I tried it this game it would never arrive. On the center line I had my LI.

The Light battle went as I expected except for two things. One was I charged a LC unit of his impetuously and won, but in the following bounds kept rolling down enough to not do enough damage to break or disorder him. The 2nd was Will's own Flank March, a 6E Unit of JLS LC, arrived, and I went chasing after it with a Knight unit instead of my 4E LC L unit, in effect taking out a unit that would have come in handy earlier.

The combats really came down to die rolls, as neither of us really got any favorable matchups until the last turn of the game. We both had two unit of knights beat one each other, but not enough to do anything except to involve into a slap fight in subsequent bounds. His Irr A HC beat my Knight unit the first bound, but failed to roll up again in the following bounds.

We had a mutual Moog charge that ended up blowing up both units on the spot, and I failed more wavers than he did. I was able to get a nice charge against one of his Moog's by canceling its own charge (see the post on the forum about charging), and Will failed a couple of wavers when his unit broke the following turn, I passed my wavers when his Knights beat my Moog's the following bound.

Last turn of the game was bloody. His last Moog unit charged and broke my shaken Spearmen (which had failed a waver when Will broke a Knight unit), and I was able to charge and break one of his knight units with my spearmen on the flank. 16@5 is some Knight killing goodness...he did not however, fail any of the wavers.

At the end of the battle though, I had more Shaken /Broken units than Will, but it could have gone either way.

Final score was 4-3 to Will, he killed 597.5 of my troops, and I killed 419 of his.

Todd Schneider
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Played Steve Hollowell's Later Cartahginian list last night. At first glance, it looked intimidating, some LI, some LC, lots of HTW armed Celtiberians, and Elephants.

Terrain was pretty sparse, on my left I had a marsh, ahed of it on his half of the center line was a woods. About a foot in and three inches back from the centerline on my side I had a brush. Rest of the table was open.

I actually outscouted him, so he placed one command down, on my left two LC units, a celtiberian and elephant with some LI on the center line.

I put my Berber command down, LC on the flanks, slingers on the center line except the one in the brush, spearblocks in the center.

He placed the rest of his list down, more Elephants, Celtiberians on the back and LI on the front. I put the Spanish behind my Berbers, and we were off.

Steve was using the Carthaginians they way I expect most players would, use a unit of Celtiberians (Hereafter called moogs because thats easier to type than Celtiberians... Smile ) paired with an Elephant unit, and run them together. For my part, I tried running my list in a series of small groups as well, a Knight unit, spearunit and moog unit all working together. I managed to get most of the matchup's I wanted this game, but still had some troubles. I had a 2E unit of Ghuzz on a flank march

First, I put my camp on my left next to the marsh. Then the only unit I had over there in front of it was a L armed LC unit. Talk about brain cramp.

Bound One was typical. Everyone advanced. We boh have a bunch of S armed LI, lots of @-1 rolling going on.

Bound Two, to add insult to injury, I screw up my Cav on the left. Steve has a 6E and 2E unit of JLS armed LC heading towards me, and the 6E unit can move through brish without penalty. He told me as much, more than once, and I still forgot it. As it stood I moved forward just enough fo him to be able to move and get a Case II flank charge off. In the charge phase he declared a charge, I chose to evade and in what was to be the common theme of the night, I rolled short, he rolled long, and I broke. Only thing in front of me was the Camp. So, essentially I gave away points there. I also looked at the wrong colum when trying to figure out if my LI unit in the center, which was blocking about 6 of his units, should stand or run, and decided to stand after thinking HTW against LI was a 2.
More free points given away...

Bound Two had a couple of LI charges, one of which would end up pinning a Knight unit on the right due toending up less than 40p away, which would be key in the next couple of bounds.

Bound Three was brutal for both sides, his LI pinning my Knights rolled up on the shot, doing 2, so I had to charge. I did, blew up the 2E unit, and was stuck rallying in front of an Elephant unit.

I broke one of Steves Elephant's, and he promptly failed two of three B wavers. My Camp shook on the waver, and on the right my Ghuzz hit and broke an LI unit.

Bound Four was the deciding bound. A lot of mutual charges, one of which was a Moog v Moog HTW fest on the left center. Every other charge was essentially a push, but the one battle I needed to roll decent on didn't go well for me. Steve rolled +4, which went to +6 when you took into account the A's he had in the front. I rolled -4. Sigh. I then failed a couple of wavers, par for the course Smile, and the battle was pretty much over.

I'd love to say I lost this game on die rolls, and that ould be partially true, but my setup was bad when looking at where I put my camp, and what I decided to protect it with. My flank charge never arrived, which IMO wasn't to terrible. I got many of the matchups I wanted, was able to avoid most of the Elephants with my Knights, and got some favorable combat matchups. It was a tought fight, but one I think I could have won had I not hobbled myself early and often.

Final Score was 540.5 to Steve, to 332 to me, a 4-2 loss.

Todd

Todd Schneider
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Overall, Winter Warrior was a good tournament for me. After running an Army with no mounted that shoots everything it can, running Berbers was a nice change of pace. In hands more competant than mine, it looks as if it can be a quite forgiving and capable army, and it has enough variety in it that I will be tinkering with it, and enjoy playing with it, for awhile to come.

I finished with 8 game points raw, which if i remember correctly is the best finish I have had in a Warrior tournament points wise.

Gamewise I went 0-2-1.

Raw points wise was a total of 1276 for me versus 1552 for my opponents. I think that despite my record, my Raw score would allow me to finish in the middle of that pack, which is what I wanted to do.

Next up, Warrior Crush, 1200 points of 25mm Berber's.

Thanks for reading,
Todd

wargame692000
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Hi Todd,
Firstly thanks for posting the results of your games. I have enjoyed reading them.
I am intrigued by this format. It appears to be a tournament stretched over an extended period of time. Is this right?

Cheers
Paul Collins.
scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Short answer: it is.

We started doing this back in the early 90s when I still lived in Northern VA, where they still run tourneys like this.

Basically, one person administers the tourney, assigns pairings and then the players have a month to get their game in. It's totally up to the players when and where they play. They submit the results, next month, new pairing. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I always enjoyed the format since it seemed much easier for many people to schedule a 4-5 hour block of time once a month rather than an entire long day. Plus, you didn't need a facility to run a tourney. We found that turnout increased by going this route.

scott

joncleaves

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject:

I am running the current one - the one Todd (Thresh) is playing in out here in KC.

Scott has pointed out the advantages - as games are often played by the participants meeting at a local game store to get their game in, it keeps Warrior in the public eye.

The disadvantages are - its an event that can't include people joining us from out of state and some of the games will be played at player's homes and not get seen by potential recruits. For these reasons we like a mix of multi-week and one day events.

Jon

wargame692000
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject:

Thanks Jon and Scott for the reply.
From a recruitment point of view I can see the concern.

However for me this format has a real charm for a group of gamers who have been playing each other for a while. It adds a degree of 'competition' without removing the beer and skittles element of social gaming.

All too often when players organise campaigns, what they are actually organising is for lots of diplomacy and heaps of administration for the unlucky organiser. This might solve those problems.

Thanks Again
Paul Collins.
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Hey Todd,

I don't know if you still run events out there, but I've read through the AAR multiple times and I too enjoy running Berbers.

I have some different thoughts on how I like running it if you'd like another view point????

Todd

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: