Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DAW - Anglo Danish - list #36

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: DAW - Anglo Danish - list #36

Okay - Just keeping the Forum bumping along.

This list has some real nostalgia for me. My first time facing this army was against Jamie Fish circa 1988. I remember him handling this army well and I remember the barbarian figures and the overall feel of the army. I then remember his awesome Thistle and Rose figures and had to acquire not 1 but 2 of his armies (Bulgar and Norman) - I would have built Viking, but alas 15mm is just about defunct.... too bad they were never made into 25mm for the figures had some excellent character - much like Jamie who helped create the company.

Anyway - back to my memories, thoughts, and the eventual list.

I've also been reading The Warrior Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell http://www.bernardcornwell.net/series/the-saxon-stories/ - and I believe that he has done a great service to the time period. They are great reads and excellent battle scenes. All the more reason for me to delve into the list.

I realize that this is not a "competitive" list, able to win tournaments - there are truly few of those lists and it would be boring to go over them. Maybe I'll start a thread to analyze the "competitive armies" for all to throw in their 2 cents.

Anyway here is my list for Anglo-Danes to make it a playable list and to bring back the memories I so cherish.

CinC 1E Ir B HC Jls,Sh + PA - 133

4x 12E Mix 4E Ir B HI 2HCW,Sh, 4E Ir D MI Jls, Sh, 4E Ir D MI Jls - 169 (676)

6E Saxon Javelinmen Ir C LI Jls,Sh - 61

Viking Ally 2E Ir B LHI 2HCW,Sh/Jls,Sh - 110
2x 4E Hirdsmen Ir B LHI 2HCW,Sh/Jls,Sh - 97(194)
2E Hirdsmen Ir B LHI 2HCW,Sh/Jls,Sh - 61
2E Bersikir Ir A LMI 2HCW, 1/2 Sh - 52
12E Viking Spearmen Ir C LMI 1/3 2LHI HCW,Sh 2/3 LMI Jls,Sh - 157
8E Viking Bowmen Ir C 1/2 LHI 2HCW,B,Sh 1/2 LMI Jls,B,Sh - 145

The thought is that the Saxon Command would be put up front and the Viking Command would be behind them with the Viking Spear and Bowmen taking up positions more or less in the front rank. The Hirdsmen and Bersikir are the follow up/gap fillers.

The main units are all capable of forming shield wall and that is pretty tough to break through, yet they also have the 3rd rank to hit harder using barbarian rules and have HI/LHI in the front rank for their 2HCW (although shield wall allows them to always be shielded while in that formation).

The CinC is a single element to be in the right place for morale with the PA standard and if breaks occur he won't test. As HI he would be sooooo slow to get into the gaps/follow up, but now he can rally troops if needed.

Certainly a "fun" army and it would be neat to see on the field - Rich Kroupa has brought this type of army to competitions and he and I almost won doubles with Vikings in shieldwall.

Todd

Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject:

Sounds like the army that MattW and I played against BillL.
It really bowled him over. True the dice didn't help him.
I do remember the Rick K wall to wall Vikings. Love it.
I always felt that it was an army that if you didn't break the opponent right away. You would be tired after the first couple of combats.
Ed the Rash
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Has some appeal. I think those big 12 element blocks are tougher to kill than people think, particularly with shieldwall and barbarian foot rules. But depending on which part of the army you want to showcase, I think there are better lists.

If the desire is to have fun with the fyrd type troops (the big 12 element blocks) then Anglo Norman is the way to go. Fyrd plus HK, both in large quantities, is a lot for an opponent to handle. Derek has played this army with good results.

If the desire is the play a Viking contingent on as viable a list as possible, then I'd go with Rus plus Bulgar allies. Rus spear are quite durable, you get some decent HC and LC for chasing down evaders, and the Viking/Varangian types to provide real punch.

In both of these I'm showing my prejudice for having cavalry. While all infantry armies can be dangerous spoilers in a tournament, I think it is almost impossible for an all foot army to be master of its own fate. You have to have some cavalry to force the action.
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Mark - I certainly agree with your comments - there are MUCH better options than Anglo-Danish. I just wanted to hash out a list that brought back memories of old.

I think Rich Kroupa's Viking list is actually better than the Danish one.

Cavalry helps, certainly in this type of list.

TK

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject:

My hat's off to Rich Kroupa for what he did with the Vikings. While Chris D'amour and I were able to take the Vikings down, it was a real challenge, requiring a good plan on our part and careful execution on the table. Even then we were at the mercy of the dice a couple of times.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject:

The Anglo-Danish have access to some Norman mercenaries which you should strongly consider.
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Frank - I totally agree. The Normans add a lot and are pretty cheap at 79 points each.

Todd

scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Attached is the Anglo-Dane list I ran in the 2009 Theme. I came in 2nd so I think it's a good list. Smile

scott

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Scott's list is pretty solid. Enough quality LI to screen effectively. Absent light cav this will be mostly a defensive screen, but it should hold up long enough to give the shock troops time to deliver their punch, and it shoul provide enough screened frontage that the shock troops can pick their spot.

I would probably want one or two more lancer units, and I would definitely want some smaller foot units (16 figures) to operate in the gaps and threaten flanks, overlaps, and such.

Note the clever use of bow in the rear rank. This makes these big blocks "shooters directly to front" and thus pulls enemy missile fire away from the otherwise vulnerable HC.

Between shield wall and barbarian foot rules, this army can be a threat to a wide variety of opponents. It would probably not fare well against a solid knight army, since the cav doesn't have enough punch against knights and the foot aren't quite sturdy enough against knights. But few armies have an answer to all riddles.
Historian
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Great list

If this list has any weakness it is that there are 300 figures to paint. Other than that, your opponent will get the choice of where he will strike. But on the other hand, everywhere he looks he'll be seeing 48 man blocks of shield wall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: