Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HYW theme:The Chronicles of Otto of the Silver Hand: Chapter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: HYW theme:The Chronicles of Otto of the Silver Hand: Chapter

Battle of Wiltonburg: Part 1

In the Berkshire Gebirge:
The slow moving column of Imperial troops wove itself along the narrow snow covered tracts along the Housatonic river. The road snaked its way thought the rugged snowy hills toward Wiltonburg.
Lord Otto of the Silver Hand rode along side is father Baron Konrad and Ottokar.
“Otto, why do we march to Wiltonburg?” quered Konrad.
“Our lord the Emperor Rudolf sees fit to embroil us in the affairs of the French? He sees an opportunity. The opening of the Albigensian Crusade and King Peter of Aragon’s intervention with the Cathars creates a chance for Imperial expansion at the expense of the French.”
“Why did you answer the call from the Emperor, Ottokar?” questioned Konrad warily.
“True! The Emperor and I are indeed antagonists, but when I do replace him as Emperor, having greater Imperial Power will be mine.”
“But why do you follow me and not take command yourself?” Smiled Otto.
“Because you, Otto, are a just knight who honors chivalry. I might have need of you later.
Also if this fails, you will bear the failure and not I.”
“It surprises me, Otto, that none of the river fords and bridges are guarded.” Interjected Konrad”
“If all goes well, my choice of this approach would catch them unawares.”
Hours later:
The hill tracks opened up onto a wide verdant plain. In the distance, Wiltonburg rose from the low rise.
Soon a Hungarian light horse scout approaches.
“Yonder iies Wiltonburg and the Toulousean and Aragonese camp sits to the south beyond it.”
“Any sign of movement in the camp?”
“None my lord!”
“Surprise is complete.” Mouths Otto.

Aragonese and Toulousean Camp:

King Peter, tall and broad shouldered, stands at his pavilion entrance as an exhausted messenger races up and falls to one knee.
“Majesty, an army approaches from the north.” He shouts haltingly.
“From the north……What Banner does it fly???” asks Peter.
Count Raymond of Toulouse marches up quickly.
“What is this I hear? An army comes???”
“It flies a black banner of the Silver Hand.” The scout replies.
Peter and Raymond exchange glances.
“An Imperial Army!!” murmurs Peter.
“Sound the alarm!!! To Arms!!!” Peter shouts.
Raymond, the older of the two and noticeably more cautious, raises his hand.
“Why so rash, Peter. Let us parlay and see if these be friend or foe.”
“Would a friend come so unannounced. Only a foe springs surprise upon his prey”
“To Arms.” He roars again, turning into his pavilion.

On the Wiltonburg plain:
A wood on the center right flank of the Imperial Army with a low hill to its immediate
Left. Then open fields across the plain until another low hill, center left flank.
Otto with Konrad and Ottokar view the field as the imperial troops march forward.
“Ottokar! Take the left flank. Father, hold back behind the center and look for an opportunity. I will take the center and right flanks. Light archers will take the wood on the left, the Crossbow will advance to the hill on the right. The four units of Heavy Infantry will span the open field between the hills, leaving gaps for the knights.”
“I will take the artillery, with the handgunners to the left hill. Also the Hungarian Light Horse to cover the far left.” Commanded Ottokar.
“Take a unit of Imperial knights with you. I would not need them.” Growled Konrad
“I’ll take two!” Laughed Ottokar as he trotted off to the left.
“Good hunting, Otto.” added Konrad hopefully.
“To you also, father!” As he reined his charger off to the left.

Otto of the Silver Hand (Todd Kaiser)
Ottokar (Ed Kollmer)

Warrior
FW25 Holy Roman Imperial
Climate: COLD
EL Description
2 **I/B EHK L sh +PA 1/2 I/C HC L sh
2 *I/B EHK L sh +P 1/2 I/C HC L sh
2 *I/B EHK L sh +P 1/2 I/C HC L sh
2 I/B EHK L sh 1/2 I/C HC L sh

6 R/D HI 2HCT Pa 1/2 MI 2HCT

6 I/C LC B
6 R/D LHI CB
6 R/D LI B
2 R/C LHI HG
2 R/C Bombard w/4 Crew

FW13 Feudal French
(design from the Battle of Muret)

2El King Peter of Aragon IrB EHK/HK L,sh, PA
2El Count Raymond of Toulouse IrB,EHK/HK,L,sh,PA
4x2El IrB EHK/HK,L,sh
4El LC IrC,Jls,sh
2x4El LMI RegC, 2HCT,sh
2x6El LHI,RegC,CB
8El MI RegD,Jls,sh
9El LMI IrA/C,2HCW,sh/jls
2x8El LI,IrC,CB

King Peter (Bill Low)

Peter and Raymond rode out onto the plain.
“Place each LI unit on each flank and take the hills. Put the two CB units to support them. Also use each 2HCT unit to support them. Have my Spanish LC skirmish right center of the field. The MI and the Cathars Fanatics will cover the center. Raymond, you hold the center left with your knights. I will be next to you with my Aragaonese knights on the center right. Keep the knight units spread out along the line. We will look for an opening.”
“You know Peter. I think we should parley first.”
Peter put on his helm and ignored the comment and moved forward.
Raymond annoyed rode off to the center.

The Imperial HI units move forward across the open field in the center.
The LI moved into the Wood and the CB unit moved up the hill on the right.
The Bombard slowly trudged up the hill on the left.
Ottokar signaled the LC to move around the left hill, as he moved up the hill next to the Bombard.. The HG moved behind them angling up the hill.
Units of EHK/HC moved up behind the HI.
Otto and his 2 units of EHK/HC moved more to the right hill

The Imperial CB exchanged volleys with the French bow on the right hill as the Toulousean LMI and CB moved up to support the French bow. Soon two French knight units were drawn into the advance. Otto seeing the French movement signaled two Imperial knight to support the German CB. As Otto moved up the hill he glanced to the left down the battle line.
He witnessed the Cathar fanatics charging the Hi. The combat was fierce. Also the French Civic Militia charged into the HI line.
He raised his gaze and on the far left the banner of Ottokar moved up the hill. Otto wondered what Ottokar was up to.
Suddenly, the air was pierced by a battle cry. He looked down and saw the dragon red banner of Konrad von Drachenhausen galloping forward into the gap of the HI.

Konrad spied the fighting before him. The Cathar fanatics were gaining ground over the HI. He drew his sword and shouted
“Charge”
His retinue leapt to the gallop and soon the battle cry of Drachenhausen echoed across the field
“THE DRAGON, THE DRAGON”
The roar of voice, armour and neigh of horse plowed into the fanatics.
The Cathars were stunned as armoured might of the Empire sliced through them. Soon the less fanatics of the rear broke and ran.
Raymond seeing the red banner moving though the line charged up to help the Toulousean MI and soon the imperial line started to recoil.

Off to the left Ottokar atop the left hill watched as the Hungarian LC were mauled by the Spanish CB and Aragonese knights.
He turned to Heinrich.
“Enough of this.” He snarled.
“But lord, we cannot charge through the Hungarian. It would disorder out attack.”
“Those are Spanish knights. They have not met real knights. They are so used to fighting those soft moorish cavalry.” He roared.
Suddenly, they charged through the Hungarians and startled the Spanish knights and recoiled them.

Peter seeing the cathars in trouble, charged in to finally break the Imperial line.
Black Karl, one of Konrad’s knight units seeing the danger charged up to counter the King. Suddenly, as Peter hit the line and Black Karl drove in; Peter’s charger slipped on a bloody livery. King, horse and standard all went down(rolled catastrophic dice).
The Civic Militia once eager, now stopped and fell back. The aura of fear spread like a plague. The King’s retinue surrounded the king and moved back.

Raymond viewing the King’s standard falling.
“Fall back, regroup”

Otto, amazed to see the standard of Aragon fall, reined his horse around.
“Halt the advance! Look to the wounded.”

Presently, Ottokar galloped up.
“Why the halt!” He fired out angrily.
“Let King Peter rise and return to health. I will not steal a victory”
“Your chivalry will destroy us!” He snarled
“That is why I command and not you.”
“Form the camp.” Ott
Historian
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Well written

Thanks Ed
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Well done...always enjoyable AARs from the Kaesinator.

I do have one minor quibble...this was not strictly a HYW theme conflict as one list (Feudal French) is not going to be available in the Theme at Historicon.
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject:

True, Frank!
But the Imperial force is trying to be HYW theme list.
BillL was gentleman enough to have a knight army for Otto to face. Plus he did me a favor by designing the Feudal French after the battle of Muret
Actually, we had a second game immediately after this one.
I am working on the AAR as we speak.
Also I realized after talking with BillL and ToddK. The Imperial list is illegal.
The 4 units of HI have to be modified.
Ed the Imperial
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: tricky lists

The German lists are tricky...make sure you have the latest errata from the website.
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject:

"So let it be written, So let it be done"
Ed the Imperial
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: