Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chart of theme results showing finish and list handicap
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derekcus
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Thracians

The true strength of the thracians is there LC
But as u know LC hardly even win games

HI pike kill LMI LTS all day long

Three of the last NICT winners were HI pike

No one runs Thracians +20% may not be enough

That is not even factoring in the companions and elephants

I dream of ways to beat HI frontally. The list is short. Thracians
Are not on the list.

Derek
scott holder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject:

A quick plug and chug of numbers bears this out. A 12E Thracian LMI unit armed just with JLS (I've become a big believer that arming them with 2HCW is a fool's errand), 1/4 are Irr A (front rank) charging impetuously against a 4E pike block, 1/4 HI (front rank) will lose 36 to 20 but this assumes the pike block could charge (it's charge isn't cancelled in this case but it's not able to counter charge). In this case, the Thracian's only hope is to stay outside of 80p and catch the pike standing in which case the HTH is a tie 20-20. Even if the Thracians roll up one against charging pikes, they lose 36-32.

Obviously in a subsequent bound the Thracians would get overlap but the assumption is that the pike player will have a second unit ready to charge in and prevent that.

Also too, if the Thracians go in with 2HCW it doesn't change the outcome, it's still 36-29 in favor of the pike and next bound the Thracians are shieldless. One of the benefits of that 12E block is it's surprising staying power. That goes away if the shields go away.

Of course the pike player won't have as many units given the weighting but like everything it'll come down to where he chooses to fight.

To me, allowing the army 2HCW isn't enough to knock it down to just a +10% weighting. Now, if the cav is allowed shields, that's an entirely different story.

scott

derekcus
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: More

Pike just kill Thracians. At least with 2HCW IA and JLS they have a small chance of routing Pike on contact.

The late period lets you have a core of Romans with the Thracians for support. Now that's a playable army.

2HCW hits other foot at a 9 factor which is just scary. So anything other than the Pike would be fine. But in this tourney if they could have 2HCW I guess I would go +15% instead.

Also in the early period you want to give them at least half LTS. Reallly helps out with a out of things over all.

The strength of the Thracians once again is their LC and LI.
derekcus
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Oooops

I thought Pike kill Tracians. Well. When pike roll down three a
nd IA thracians roll up to to up four. Pike rout on contact.
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Posted AAR

I posted an AAR on our game of +20% Thracians vs generic Macedonian list. Read the AAR, +20% is probably what you need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: