Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

C5N - Knights of St. John

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: C5N - Knights of St. John

Knights Hospitaller of the Sovereign Order of St. John Jerusalem and Malta:

The Grand Master Pierre d’Aubusson overlooks the bow of the great galley destined to sail west. "I don't know if my old bones are ready for another campaign" he thinks to himself. "It has been many years since we have made the journey and we were met with great adversity when we arrived in Schenectady." D'Aubusson hears the footsteps behind him and sees the English Turcopiler John Kendal idle up beside him.
"Grand Master," he begins. "I am sure this lousy weather will pass and we shall see smooth sailing in our journey."
"I certainly hope so John." d'Aubusson remarks with a hint of doubt in his words.
"Brother Antoine has received a blessing for our journey." he replies.
"Then let's be off and beware all who oppose us in our quest to conquer the west." d'Aubusson heartily replies. "Make ready to sail and load our finest knights and warriors for the journey."

Knights of St. John
1603 pts – 21 scouting

Grand Master Pierre d’Aubusson 2E Reg A SHK L,, ˝ Sh + PA (229)
Fra’ Antoine Gautier 2E Reg A/B SHK L, ˝ Sh + P (156)
Turcopiler John Kendal 2E Reg A/B SHK L, ˝ Sh + P (156)
2E Knights of Justice Reg A SHK L, ˝ Sh (130)

4E Marinarii Reg C LHI CB,2HCT, ˝ Sh (130)
4E Marinarii Reg C LHI CB,2HCT, ˝ Sh (130)
4E Marinarii Reg B LHI CB,2HCT ˝ Sh (146)
6E Rhodian Militia Reg D LMI CB ˝ Sh (70)
6E Rhodian Militia Reg D LMI CB ˝ Sh (70)

2E Rhodian Skirmishers Reg D LI CB (18

6E Greek Bowman Reg C LMI B ˝ Sh (94)
6E Greek Bowman Reg C LMI B ˝ Sh (94)

2E Turkopoles Reg C LC Jls,B,Sh (50)

First round was vs. Ewan and his Ghaznavid force. Three rough hills are interspersed in the center of the table. This game could not have gone any worse – I try to hold off the far flanks with a unit or two of Turkopoles on each hoping to delay for at least 2-3 turns being regular and having a bow and sufficient space before I’m run off the table. My left has 2 Turkopoles on the flank and Ewan is going to push with a 4E LC unit, 2 Reg B HC L,B,Sh units, and a 3E Elephant unit. Ewan advances his cavalry to within shooting range. First two counter rolls are a 1 – Ewan shoots me to disorder. He charges with the LC and I proceed to roll a 2, he rolls a 5 and get caught and rout. The Reg A SHK unit sent to add some muscle to stop the tide rolls a 1….. There were a few other poor rolls (regular LMI getting caught by loose foot) and some foolish attempts on my part to take the terrain (and Ewan doesn’t often make mistakes) and this one was over by the end of bound 3. 1-5 to start.

Second round was vs. Ed Carmiee and Early Burgundian. The board had 3 brush from the center fading to the left side of the table, a gentle hill in the center right, and a rice paddy on the far right and deep. I actually outscouted Ed and he set up in a defensive shell behind the center of all that terrain with LB in the middle backed by knights. He has 6 units of knights to my 4 and I was hoping to draw off a few with the LC. Around the sides they go and Ed is forced due to setup to bring knights over to prevent me from turning the flank. He is also a little too aggressive with his HC CB and they get shot for 10 but manage to escape for the time being. Luck was again on my side for the first 3 rounds and able to go second for initiative – allowing me to gang up on shooting up a LB unit to recall and then rout with a Marianarii unit. Ed rallies and counterattacks with some knights eventually routing that Marianarii unit with the aid of a 2HCW fronted LB unit, but falling to another Marianarri unit in the flank. My far right keeps on the pressure and the HC CB unit eventually is exhausted and routed by a Turkopole unit and I disorder the organ guns with some Reg D CB units and they get to charge and destroy them causing a few waver tests and the command to go. 5-2 win for KoSJ.

Third round was vs. Mark Cribbs and his Mountain Indians. Mark’s army is mostly 6E units of Ir B or C LMI Jls,B,Sh or LTS,B,Sh with a few LI and LC units with two 6E MI 2HCW,Jls,Sh units. The big fear is the 2 units of 2E Ir B Elephants. Mark covers the board and I’m stretched to do the same. I once again try to hold off each side with a unit of LC and either a 6E Bow or Cb unit – 1 Turkopole unit flank marches (never to arrive). As this is the 3rd battle and we’re all getting tired I go for it early (bound 2) and charge 2 units of SHK (a sub and another) boot to boot vs. a 6E Jls,B,Sh unit in the middle of Mark’s army. It passes its waver but I roll up on both units and it routs. Three of four who see it shake, including the elephant unit to its rear. I try to go in for the kill. A shaken LMI LTS,B,Sh to the right of the break is shot for 2 and waivers and routs. Mark passes the 2 wavers. I charge the shaken elephant unit with a Marianarii unit but roll down and only push it back (the elephant also passed the waiver for 2x disordered). Mark brings over the remaining elephant unit for counterattack purposes. Before the elephant gets into position I swing off the 2 original knight units into a shaken MI foot unit that routs and the flank of the elephant unit routing that as well. As the elephant unit passes waivers it eventually destroys my sub causing a few shakes but a charge by my CinC breaks another LMI unit and shakes another and on the right a SHK unit has disordered the other MI unit and another Marianarii unit subsequently routs it. 5-3.

A wonderful event organized by Ewan and great to see everyone and catch up a little.

Last edited by Todd Kaeser on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Kudos to Mark for bringing his unweighted Mountain Indians.

Nice write up.

scott

Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject:

Yeah!
I met Marc's Indians. He blackened the sky with arrows. My Greeks are still pulling arrows out of their stuff. The same was true of Ed's Burgundians. The LB line was tough.
EK
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject:

Good write-up. Thanks for sharing. And that's the perfect way to configure the Knights of Saint John list. I still love that list and have all the figures, even though I haven't played it in years.
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Mark,

It still struggles when the fecal matter hits the rotating ocalating device... ie waiver tests with the poor morale of being mostly "C" and "C" grade troops not counting the knights.

I'm finally starting to figure them out a little and enjoy the history and look of all that Red on the table (and a few banners of course Rolling Eyes

Todd

Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Todd's battle against me was just comical - I could have been a random 6 year-old from the street and won that one. Rolling short on either 5 or 6 regular-troop evades in a row; 1s for wavers; even when I pushed to exploit over-eagerly my elephants rolled long in their charge to catch evading LMI. Short, brutal, and enirely dice-driven.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: