Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LIR Experimental Scythed Chariot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: LIR Experimental Scythed Chariot

The Roman Civil War theme prompted this research and gaming project.

First, there are illustrations of what this thing looked like, but are somewhat speculative since they're based on a fairly basic written description. Head to:
http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/bsb00005863/images/index.html?seite=1&fip=193.174.98.30
and look on page 173. There are other representations of the thing (hit the forward arrow).

I then cast about looking for commercial gaming representations of the thing and was amazed to find there's just one, in 15mm:
lrc13scythechariot_1_large by irobot00, on Flickr
That's from:
www.15mm.co.uk

Okay, it's a start. The chariot contraption is akin to a artillery limber from the American Revolution and Napoleonic era. I then searched around and found one from Blotz (another UK company):
http://blotz.co.uk
limber by irobot00, on Flickr

I ordered two of the laser cut models. Then I pieced together the cataphracts, scythes and other pointy bits from a variety of sources:

The cataphract riders are 1st generation Minifigs, meaning they're around 40 years old.

The cataphract horses are from RAFMs Persian/Hellenistic scythed chariots. I've bad these for a gazillion years, 6 of them since IIRC, 5th Edition lists allowed for that many. Years later I replaced them with 4 of the very excellent Essex scythed chariots.

Bear in mind that you could use any Late Roman/Early Byzantine cataphract figure/horse combo for this. I was never going to use this stuff for anything else.

The scythes and pointy bits I cut off the aforementioned RAFM scythed chariots. Again, you can use just about anything 25mm/28mm.

The one slight modification to the artillery limber is I took the cross section in front of the wheels and moved it forward of the horses. I then affixed pointy bits.

The result:
IMG_0497 by irobot00, on Flickr
IMG_0498 by irobot00, on Flickr
IMG_0499 by irobot00, on Flickr
IMG_0500 by irobot00, on Flickr
IMG_0501 by irobot00, on Flickr

Now, will I actually use these? My guess is the conventional wisdom is that they're a stoopid purchase (probably because of the waver test when the explode) but they're too cool looking not to use.

scott

Terry D
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject:

That is a remold of the old table top games "chariot" I have one or two in the to be painted bin, from when 80s when 1525mm was the scale
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject:

As they look awesome, you are now forced to use them on the table...
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Very handsome figures for sure. Keep painting!

Todd

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: