Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Event Suggestions???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Event Suggestions???

Ok,

Here is a possible thread to put forth other type of tournament ideas:

Have an army swap: Each person brings an army either in the Mini or open and their lists/armies are randomly assigned to people for the tournament.

Teams: A long time ago we had teams of 1000 points for each teammate but the armies didn't have to be historical. Throw in that the opponent got to choose to pick one of our lists and we got to pick one of their lists (via secret ballot) and have the teams fight on the same field. Either way it is a different way to run a team tournament.

We've done the campaign thing - but sadly I've missed it each time and I'd love to participate in it at some point.

Ok - please feel free to add other ideas out there.

Todd

lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: So some tournament options

I like some of the ideas- love the idea of 1000 point allies - 1 cinc - it would make for a lot of strange bedfelloes
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject:

Long idea -- been thinking about this one for years -- and it would be an alternative theme tournament format. Here goes, at least the basics:

Start with grand tactical grid, something like 4 tiles deep and 4 tiles wide, though width should probably vary depending on how many players you have. Each tile on the grid will correspond to a pre-set terrain table.

There are two sides, who are historical opponents, though each side might include allied lists. So, for example, it might be Early Polish versus Mongol, but on the Early Polish side other lists like Early Teutonic would be allowed, and on the Mongol side other lists like some of the Turkic Middle Asian lists would be allowed. Players are on one side or the other, and there must be an even number players on each side.

The tournament will consist of a number of turns, probably around 6. Players' armies start on opposite edges of the grid, and in each turn a player's army may move on the grid as follows:
* Armies consisting entirely of mounted and/or light troops may make two moves, where a move is to any vertically or horizontally adjacent tile.
* All other armies get only one move.

At the end of all turns, players will score points based on tiles controlled. A tile is controlled if the player's side was the last side to pass through that tile, or if the player's side has an unopposed army in that tile. Points are awarded as follows:
* 10 points to each player on a side for each strategic hill top in a controlled tile;
* 20 points to each player on a side for each minor water feature crossing in a controlled tile;
* 40 points to each player on a side for each village in a controlled tile;
* If a player has the only army in a tile at the end of play, then for that player only ande for that tile only multiply these points by 10.

Points are also awarded for enemy casualties:
* For all troops shaken, exhausted, or in a command in retirement in any battle during play, each player on the opposing side earns the point value of those troops divided by 20.
* For all troops routed or destroyed in any battle during play, each player on the opposing side earns the point value of those troops divided by 10.
* For any player who is victorious in a battle, that player earns one half the point value of opposing troops shaken, exhausted, or in a command in retirement and full points for any troops routed or destroyed.

Building an army -- this is the tricky calculation, so think through the implications carefully:
* Players may build an army of any size, as long as all required minimums are met. Any size. Could be 500 points, could be 3000 points. Doesn't matter.
* For all players on a side, tally up all the points spent building those armies. Each player on the other side receives that number of points divided by 10. In other words, if there are 4 players on your side who collectively spent 4800 points building armies, then each of the 4 players on the opposing side starts with 480 points.
* At the beginning of any turn from Turn 2 on, a player may bring in reinforcements. These start on the tile edge on which the player's original army started, and must move as quickly as possible to join the player's original army. Reinforcements may be of any number of points. However, the total spent on reinforcements divided by 5 is awarded in points to each player on the other side. In other words, if I bring in 400 points of reinforcements, then each opposing player scores 80 points.

Tactical battles:
* In any turn in which opposing armies end up in the same tile, a battle is fought. Normal Warrior setup rules apply.
* Battle proceeds until one side has a command under retirement.
* The side with the reitred command is considered defeated, and must withdraw to the tile from which they entered; the other side is victorious and remains in the tile.

Tactical battle casualties:
* For each unit that ends the battle shaken, exhausted, or in retirement roll a D6. For the defeated side, that unit is removed from the tournament on a die roll of 1 or 2. For the victorious side, that unit is removed from the tournament on a die roll of 1.
* For each unit that ends the battle routed or destoryed roll a D6. For the defeated side, that unit is removed from the tournament on a die roll of 1-4. For the victorious side, that unit is removed from the tournament on die roll of 1-3.

Tactical reinforcements:
* Other players may attempt to send their armies as reinforcements to a player on their side in a tactical battle.
* Count the number of tiles from the player in battle to the reinforcing player; distance is measured vertically or horizontally, not diagonally. For the number of tiles distant, roll that many average dice. The number rolled is the bound on which those reinforcements arrive. The number rolled divided by 2 is the number of fatigue each reinforcing unit arrives with.
* If battle ends before reinforcements arrive, the reinforcements are considered to have returned to their original tile.

Tournament winner:
* At the end of play, the player with the highest number of points is the winner.
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject:

I like the concept a lot.
However, I don't understand the building armies section. Somehow it sounds like the other side just gets 10%.....????????
I think I am missing something.
EK
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Ed Kollmer wrote:
I like the concept a lot.
However, I don't understand the building armies section. Somehow it sounds like the other side just gets 10%.....????????
I think I am missing something.
EK

Simple version: armies can be any size. Any.

But, the more points with which you build your army, the more points you give to the opposing side.
Terry D
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject:

The army swap is a good idea, but needs one thing to keep people honest. You play your first game with your army. This prevents people from making an intentionally bad list.

Another idea is from bridge duplicate pre made armies on the same table set up. I would go with 2 pairs of armies and tables. Four rounds and you've played all the sides highest total wins.

I like the campaign events, they force you to stop using LI as disposable troops.
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: More event suggestions

1. One person's good list is another's disaster. I could never play some of the lists that Derek thinks are terrific and he doesn't care for the way I build some of my lists.

2. The duplicate style games is interesting, if you stepped down to Fast Warrior going for 90 minute games, that could be a lot of fun.

3. Derek one Sunday morning at Siege of Augusta set up an 8 or 10 player game, 1000 points per general on a 20 foot long, 5 foot deep table. That was interesting both for the random match ups and how some slow foot armies (Japanese) were ignored, their adjacent allies crushed, and then the winning commands would come back to them. I think there were three or four objectives to hold, etc.
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject:

How about a tournament that excludes the "A" list armies???

Todd

srawls
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject:

What constitutes an "A" army? Some armies I would consider to be "A" armies might not be considered as such by someone else.

Steve
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject:

http://www.fourhorsemenenterprises.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17360

See thread above Smile

Just a thought.

We have a "Dogs of War" relegated to the amount of "D" grade troops you can bring.

We see more variety in Cold Wars due to 2000 points and that is neat to see for a change.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: