Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maurikian Byzantine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Maurikian Byzantine

There has been interest in various Byzantine lists with several played over recent years.

The Cheese Lord asked me specifically for one for Maurikian, so here it is.

CinC w/PA Reg A/B EHC/HC L,B,Sh 201
Sub similar 131
2E Reg B EHC/HC L,B,Sh 94
2x 2E Reg B LC B,Sh 92
2E Irr B EHC L,Sh 91
6x 4E Reg C MI LTS,JLS,D,Sh 636
2x 6E Reg D(1 C) LMI B,Sh/B 148
2x 2E Reg D LI SS 36
8E Irr C LC JLS,B,Sh/JLS,B 1.5 121
4E Reg D LMI B,Sh/B 50 = 1600
18 units, 2 cmds, 46 scouting
Note that Ditch can be placed forward, 15 pts each.

The 8E LC unit is Hunnic and fights 1.5 ranks as appropriate.

Forward Ditch can be used to narrow frontage so that the Skutatoi can really be brought to bear...note that you can't really use Ditch if you have to attack past it so take care with what type of opposing forces you face.
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject:

I actually think that list would be challenging to run - especially in an NICT format.

While I really like its core troops of Skuts - tough overall and flexible and able to shoot. I think that Macedonians would prove to be a big problem.

A lack of good lights vs. Wallachian/Moldavian and their ilk are also worrisome.

If the board is flooded with terrain then not having (beyond some LI and a bowman unit) some good loose formation troops is also a challenge.

I like the Byzantine lists overall - their regular nature and ability to shoot, evade, maneuver, etc... are all flavors I enjoy playing with. I think this army could lend itself to too many draws, but I would need to play with it a few times to know if that is the case.

Having an army on paper and being able to play it are two separate things for sure - Many people run armies successfully that are not my style and I would lose poorly with them.

Todd

Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Pike? What? Who runs that any more? Wink

I think Nikephoran and Komnenan are better armies than Maurikian or Early Byzantine...precisely because you have some of the finest loose order foot in the game, the Varangians, on those lists.

No reason to play Early or Maurikian without heavily investing in Skutatoi and making those close order foot work...doesn't leave much else for the army.

Nikephoran is probably best run WITHOUT any close order foot at all, just lancers, Varangians, LI, LC and perhaps a little more loose foot archers...still not happy to face a Knight opponent.

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: